Arwyr

umarex/ares g36cv or ics g33

budget: up to $350

role: cqb, with plans for a bucking/tbb upgrade for good enough range (cqb for my field would be roughly 300 with .25's)

upgrade plans: high torque motor, deans connectors, G&G cold weather bucking, 6.04 tbb. going for trigger response more than anything, hence the motor and deans. not using a lipo, planning to use a 9.6. if I pick the umarex, will immediately disable blowback. also plan to add an m4 magwell adapter, although if incompatible or it feeds poorly it is not a dealbreaker.

I am currently looking at either the umarex g36cv (ares) in dark earth, or the ics g33 in dark earth. I am a bit stuck, as I have heard multiple contradicting things about both guns (this gun is awesome, vs this gun sucks). I've heard the g33 is hit and miss due to poor quality checks from the manufacturer (either you get a perfect gun, or a piece of crap). on the other hand, I've heard ares, although consistent, does not have the best internals. what's the truth here guys? I'm willing to work with a few minor flaws, I know some great techs for the more complex things. I picked these 2 models mostly because I want a unique looking g36, and I absolutely hate the stock on the echo 1 mtc. I am willing to hear other recommendations, though I have already ruled out the marui, kwa, echo 1, and jg variants of the g36. perhaps there is one I have overlooked?

as far as necessary tech work goes, I don't mind replacing a few parts and maybe a small mod or 2 (like the magwell mod I have to do on my uar), but if I HAVE to do something like replace the entire gearbox shell, lets just leave that gun out of the choices.

at the moment I am leaning more towards the ics, as I have heard more "love it" stories from people who own it, and from what I've seen it seems more sturdy than the ares, and has a better response and rof out of the box. the ares felt a bit wobbly when I held it. I have not had the chance to shoot either of them.

Alright I really have no experience with g36 or anything. Please try to ignore this response. But I'd like to say that I have heard ics make amazing guns. Like really good guns. I recently ordered a cxp15 and it should be here this week so I'll follow up on how it is. I'm not saying the other gun is bad but I'm just saying that ics makes amazing guns.

Good luck,

Sparkz

Alright I really have no experience with g36 or anything. Please try to ignore this response. But I'd like to say that I have heard ics make amazing guns. Like really good guns. I recently ordered a cxp15 and it should be here this week so I'll follow up on how it is. I'm not saying the other gun is bad but I'm just saying that ics makes amazing guns.

Good luck,

Sparkz

thanks for the response. I think the issue I've been hearing about ics is not so much that their guns are bad, but the quality control is inconsistent. mostly trying at this point to hear first hand from people who own the g33 to find out if that has been the case with this gun in particular. also leaning away from the ares now, held it again, just felt too wobbly and cheap. perhaps it's just that I'm spoiled on the external quality of my we g39c gbbr.

The G33 is okay, not a real G36, but better than some Umarex/Ares thing. You have to remember though that ICS is proprietary so upgrading can be a problem.

Now I must ask, why not the JG? They make amazing G36s.

Guest alberty
also leaning away from the ares now, held it again, just felt too wobbly and cheap. perhaps it's just that I'm spoiled on the external quality of my we g39c gbbr.

Did you get to hold the higher-quality ARES G36 series, or did you hold one of their sportline ones? The sportline ones definitely has that cheaper plastic feel.

The G33 is okay, not a real G36, but better than some Umarex/Ares thing. You have to remember though that ICS is proprietary so upgrading can be a problem.

ARES/Umarex G36s also have proprietary parts, since they're by ARES.

Do consider the user's location; if in US, JG may or may not be harder to acquire with licensing restrictions, if he wants to buy new from a retailer.

ARES/Umarex G36s also have proprietary parts, since they're by ARES.

Do consider the user's location; if in US, JG may or may not be harder to acquire with licensing restrictions, if he wants to buy new from a retailer.

Good point on both, you can get JGs on some sites though but they are WAY overpriced now.

Which makes me feel special because mine is still stock-ish and amazing. :a-laugh:

aand the ics g33's are hardly proprietary. And so far they look great.

I've owned an ares g36. Do not get it. the design is bad, as the microswitch(which is good) is located in a place where, if, you take a mag half out on accident, and then put it back in, you can smash a bb through the microswitch because of the notch on the back of g36 mags. the good parts of the gun are: the piston, and the tappet plate, and the hopup unit.

Rip out everything else.

either buy an ics g33 or a jg g36. or a CA c36 if you can find one used.

Guest alberty

What do you mean hardly? There's definitely a proprietary hop-up unit and magwell, and not sure if that magwell could be swapped with a different kind.

You are correct that the gearbox isn't 100% proprietary, it looks close to TM-style G36 gearbox from pictures that I see online. So at least, internally you can do stuff to the gearbox.

What do you mean hardly? There's definitely a proprietary hop-up unit and magwell, and not sure if that magwell could be swapped with a different kind.

You are correct that the gearbox isn't 100% proprietary, it looks close to TM-style G36 gearbox from pictures that I see online. So at least, internally you can do stuff to the gearbox.

My mistake.

I've owned an ares g36. Do not get it. the design is bad, as the microswitch(which is good) is located in a place where, if, you take a mag half out on accident, and then put it back in, you can smash a bb through the microswitch because of the notch on the back of g36 mags. the good parts of the gun are: the piston, and the tappet plate, and the hopup unit.

Rip out everything else.

either buy an ics g33 or a jg g36. or a CA c36 if you can find one used.

I own an Umarex G36KV and CV. I've also looked through A LOT of information on what parts are proprietary and whatnot, and also talked to a lot of people owning other G36s about their opinions.

First off, the Umarex G36 grearboxes a different in a few ways from the original Ares. The biggest place is the piston and piston head, which are much lower quality than the original. I would highly recommend upgrading them if you intend to push the performance. Other than that, the gearbox seems to be of moderately good quality, and after 6 months of pretty heavy use it has held up well (I have done no upgrades yet, and I run a 7.4 LiPo with blowback disabled). Unless you install a mosfet with a bypass you will likely have problems with the microswitch in the future. I can also see how the BB smashing scenario could be possible.

Secondly, I have heard issues with the magwel conversions for the Umarex. Many people say they have got it working, but it will mostly likely take some custom modding and shaping of some parts. I think if you search around there was a post outlining what must be done.

Lastly, I've also heard that the quality control on this line has been a little compromised. BUT, Umarex has a great year warranty. I've personally used the service, and I was satisfied (for the most part). Check my posts if you want to see a full review. So if you're worried about getting the best for your money, you could buy the Umarex and play for up to a year to ensure quality before you go to upgrade (opening the gearbox will void the warranty though. Most external upgrades will likely be overlooked)

Hope this helps, and good luck!

EDIT: Also, the design of the Umarex gearbox has made it MUCH easier to work on than other version 3s. The quickchange spring and spring detensioner also work well, and are VERY useful. The fact thast the bolt locks back also makes adjusting the hopup much easier.

The ICS on the other hand has the all the nifty ICS compatibility and general awesomeness. Never had my hands on them, but anyone Ive talked to who've used them seem to be happy with the system.

Either way, I think you've narrowed it to two good selections.

Edited by Heckler&(my)Koch

just not a fan of jg in general. plus I want unique externals like on the g33.

sounds like ics would be the best option for me. pretty sure I was holding the "high end" ares, $300+, still didn't like it. and I definitely don't need blowback, just one more thing to have to mess with

If you were holding the high end ares you would like it. and jg's are upgraders, so for the money difference between a 140ish jg and a 250ish ics g33, you can make a pretty solid rifle.

jg's are upgraders, so for the money difference between a 140ish jg and a 250ish ics g33, you can make a pretty solid rifle.

^ JG is an amazing company when you consider the price of their products.

so, I found a two tone g33 d3fy edition, which apparently has an extra mag, 6 month warranty and a 6.04 tbb (which is one upgrade I was planning on) for around 230. anyone know anything about these "D3FY" series aeg's? sounds like a good deal, but I want to make sure there's not a catch to this.

Guest alberty
so, I found a two tone g33 d3fy edition, which apparently has an extra mag, 6 month warranty and a 6.04 tbb (which is one upgrade I was planning on) for around 230. anyone know anything about these "D3FY" series aeg's? sounds like a good deal, but I want to make sure there's not a catch to this.

Isn't D3FY some retailer? It just means they made a small package out of it and labelled it as their "custom" work.

just got the gun. so far I'm impressed.

-light weight, but not so light that it feels fake

-solid material. the externals are sturdy, no movement between parts/rattling. it feels like my we g39c

-crisp trigger response. it will be another day until I can wire it to deans and use my 9.6 batteries, but even with my old 8.4 it has a good trigger response and decent rof. also has a nice sound to it. it doesnt sound strained, just a nice clean sound.

-easy to disassemble. and the flash hider was surprisingly easy to remove, not very strong glue at all. inner barrel is not welded as some people have experienced. currently have a short outer barrel extension and a suppressor installed. looks very sexy.

-so far I have tested a flash mag and g&g midcaps, no issues. I don't expect any with the other mags either (mag, kwa, pmag)

thanks for your help guys.