Twood

Airsoft Guide for Beginners

Hey guys and girls! Before I start I want you to know I'm NOT an airsoft guru. I haven't played professionally or on a team (I just turned 18) but I've been playing with friends and my brothers for 7-8 years (Yes I played since I was an annoying kid). I have experience in bad gun choices, bb choices, and gear choices and I'm to tell you what you should consider when buying online. I'll split it up into 3 sections: Guns, BBs, and Gear. So without further ado, Let's Begin!

GUNS

I could make another forum on this alone, but I'll keep in simple so you don't get discouraged by all the details. Some people would argue with me that I shouldn't start off with the gun first, but I feel that if you get the gun, you can play a lil and see if airsoft is really right for you.

When looking for a gun, I like to keep a couple things in mind: construction, customization, fps, and always always ALWAYS read the reviews that people have posted about it. If the pros outweigh the cons, STILL be wary. Here's a couple quick tips:

Find a gun style you don't mind having for a couple years.

Electric is best for beginners and is reliable.

Rail man. Rails.

Find your class; Assault, CQB, Support

Construction

Most guns are made of a plastic material (low end), a polymer material (mid to high end), or metal (mid to high end). A low end gun is usually spring (:censored2: it every time you want to fire. Snipers are the exception here), has a very low fps, and typically you have to be within 20 ft to hit anyone with it. Mid to high end guns are made of a polymer or metal or even a blend. They are typically a higher fps but that's not necessarily a good thing. Most places where you can go and play, like fast action airsoft, puts a limit on how hard a gun can shoot for safety reasons. Thats why you can look at a $500 gun and see 350 fps and turn around and see a 100$ gun shoot 400. if you want it to last awhile, you'll want to get a metal/polymer construction.

Customization

Rails, rails, rails man. That's the majority of this section. Sure, you could LOVE the Ak-47 look and want that sweet wood finish that makes it look THAT much cooler, but when you play with your buddy that has the M4 with a tac light, red dot sight, laser and foregrip, that ak seems a lil lacking. I was that guy. TWICE. First time I got a gun other than that shotgun from walmart, I bought a AUG. I loved it, but my friend had a G36c with all the bells and whistles. Needless to say that AUG was looked at in a different light from there on out. Next time was an AK that I just HAD to have (thanks Modern Warfare 2). I immediately regretted it when I couldn't put anything on it. After rails, find a gun style you don't mind spending a couple years with. Most choose the M4 because it's small, easy to use, has a crap ton of things for it, and the most iconic gun in my opinion. I got a SCAR-L for myself last year because it benefits from all the M4 stuff, but looks SWEET.

FPS

Bigger is not always better. A lot of airsoft places and tournaments only allow fps to a certain point. 400 is a good, hard hitting fps, but I prefer 350-400. Anything over that and you might as well be buying a sniper rifle.

BBs

There isn't a whole lot to say on this. There are all types of weights of bbs that affect how accurate they are. Seamless are best; they don's allow for breakage inside the gun. .12 are crap. DO NOT BUY. .20 and .25 are what I use most, but there are heavier. I'd stick to those for a rifle for awhile. There are also big degradable bbs. You'll need to keep those babies in a cool dry place or they will warp and jam your gun. A lot of people prefer those. And just in case you don't know, DON'T REUSE BBS!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. I've done it. It dirties your internals and causes all sorts of problems.

GEAR

My favorite thing about airsoft is all the sweet gear. I don't usually pay attention to brands, just looks. Lets start from the head

Eye protection is a must. I got Army of Two Yellow Smiley mask. Be careful with those. They are awesome to look at but hard to see out of. I'd recommend Save Phase or Dye if you have a little money to spend.

Vest isn't necessary, but they can give you lots of places to hold essentials like extra mags, speed loaders, etc. If you don't want to customize it yourself, there are pre-made ones.

I bought the matrix modular vest so I could make it how I like it. I'd strongly recommend it.

I bought Urban and Black BDUs to complete the look, but you don't have to. Jeans and a shirt can make a Merc look so it's not important

THINGS TO AVOID

Uncustomizable guns

Poor gun construction

Matrix MK46 (Idk if it was just me, but there were A LOT of problems with it.)

.12 bbs

Reusing bbs

Army of Two Mask replicas

Again, this is all my opinion. I have nothing against any particular brand or style of gun. I'm telling you from my personal experience. Reply and ask questions or offer other advice. And if your not happy with my guide, then leave the topic. Comments about how I'm an idiot doesn't help anyone. Hope this helped

Guest alberty

I'm not happy with your guide, but I won't just "leave the topic". I'd want to address problems with it that I see, so as to make sure people reading it get clarified about some inaccuracies or misconceptions.

"Choose your class"

- Player "classes" aren't really existent in airsoft, that's one thing that airsoft and your modern tactical shooter videogames differ in. Everything is one-hit in airsoft, and pretty much all the guns are shooting a similar 6mm BB. There's no sudden extra hit points, medkits, extended clips, C4 charges, etc...when you choose a different gun in airsoft. The only notable exception would be a dedicated sniper/DM or SAW operator role in a strictly milsim environment in which they have to meet certain requirements by field rules, such as engagement distance, engagement allowances, and firing modes.

"Polymer"

- "Polymer" is still plastic. It's just basically between cheap plastic and good plastic. Nothing wrong with good plastic.

"Rails are so important"

- Rails don't make a gun good and aren't necessary as part of choosing a gun. There is nothing wrong with a good plain AK-47. I'd take a sturdy AK-47 over a dressed-up SCAR-L with bad performance. FYI, you can dress up AKs with accessories, the parts & means exist if you think rails are so important. And in the end really, accessories don't necessarily make your gun better or make you play better. Plenty of people play without the need of an optic, laser, or foregrip. It's not like in a videogame where adding a laser dot or foregrip increases your accuracy automatically.

"FPS"

- While I agree that having the highest FPS rating possible doesn't equal better performance, it should be said to get your gun set to good accuracy & range instead of shooting for some arbitrary FPS numbers. FYI, sniper rifles don't always have to be over 400 FPS.

"Gear"

- You failed to mention the mesh aspect of the Army of Two style masks. Not everyone is comfortable with using mesh-only, and not every field allows mesh "eyewear". Same goes toward any other mesh eyewear.

"Things to avoid"?

- No reason to avoid "uncustomizable" guns. Use what works well, not what has all the fancy accessories on it for show.

- Why Matrix Mk46, from your one unexplained dislike? It's probably a rebranded A&K Mk46 anyways, which are reputable as an inexpensive LMG base to upgrade. You need to evaluate more things before being able to pass proper judgement on a gun.

If rails are important, then how come we didn't have them in both world wars and did fine?

If you want a flashlight, hold it in one hand and a pistol in the other. BAM a genius idea.

OK, so I haven't bought gear yet, but what color should I get for my vest and gear and stuff? Black? I was thinking camo, but what kind? This is all kind of new to me, so if I sound stupid, im sorry. Thanks!

Depends on the venue you play at and and "what" you "like".

hello_kitty_xm8.jpg

Guest alberty
Im not sure. Im new, and not really sure whats out there, and what im going to do. Whats most popular? If I was doing indoor cqc stuff, would I look stupid with camo on?

Thanks!

Not dumb at all. Many people actually do wear camo in CQB, even if the camo doesn't match the CQB field! It's just part of the tactical look that everyone likes.

What's most popular depends on the current trends and your local airsoft population. You usually see a lot of old Woodland, Multicam, ACU, and digital desert (whether it be MARPAT or AOR1) as of today. Don't what's popular, go by what you like.

Edited by alberty

Not dumb at all. Many people actually do wear camo in CQB, even if the camo doesn't match the CQB field! It's just part of the tactical look that everyone likes.

What's most popular depends on the current trends and your local airsoft population. You usually see a lot of old Woodland, Multicam, ACU, and digital desert (whether it be MARPAT or AOR1) as of today. Don't what's popular, go by what you like.

Thank you so much! Im trying to decide between ACU and multicam. Whats your opinion?

Guest alberty
Thank you so much! Im trying to decide between ACU and multicam. Whats your opinion?

In my opinion, I'd actually go for Multicam. While you do see Multicam everywhere now, it's everywhere since it's actually effective in many environments and has been real combat issue. Now you can see tons of Multicam items in the used/secondhand market, such as eBay for example, especially with all those soldiers who have returned from overseas deployments. It's an affordable time for Multicam items.

ACU used to be the popular camo years ago since it's army issue. But then well, people realized it's very much bright grey and only effective in a very specific environment... After deployment returners and the rising popularity of Multicam, ACU is now even cheaper and in surplus since it's less desirable and is several years older.

Edited by alberty

In my opinion, I'd actually go for Multicam. While you do see Multicam everywhere now, it's everywhere since it's actually effective in many environments and has been real combat issue. Now you can see tons of Multicam items in the used/secondhand market, such as eBay for example, especially with all those soldiers who have returned from overseas deployments. It's an affordable time for Multicam items.

ACU used to be the popular camo years ago since it's army issue. But then well, people realized it's very much bright grey and only effective in a very specific environment... After deployment returners and the rising popularity of Multicam, ACU is now even cheaper and in surplus since it's less desirable and is several years older.

Ok, I think I will go for that. Its also a lot more easy to find multicam gear. Thanks again!

Twood, in your post you are saying that you recommend to not re-use bbs. Lets say I build some kind of target with a box that keeps my bbs in the box, can I re-use these or you would recommend that we don't re-use ANY bbs we fired even if they are not dirty. thanks

I use a box to trap my bbs. However if you look at them, will see some are scuffed up, have marks, and some of them even chip or deform. You would not want to run these through a gun that has a tight bore barrel as they will jam. However, guns that don't have tightbores (just their stock brass barrel), I have no problem running these used bbs through them.

This is just repeating what I saw when I got serious, you can't live without rails? seriously? While the rails on my CM16 are useful, I've never used them except for a flashlight once, and a carrying handle. (I'm used to the AR-15 style sights, and I managed to get a good deal on one off an M16A2.)

I agree on the bbs part.

Gear is not just looks, When I got my vest, I was worried about relaoding, before I reliazed that my High-caps don't need reload as often as I think. Pistol pouches are useless for the mags, but I can store my multipliers and compass in them.

I use a pair of BDUs or camoflauge, but that ghille suit in my container works well for pranks and sniping.

Uncustomizable guns? Avoid? I like railspace, yes, but I like the feel of the AK, and they are a joy to use on the field.

The Matrix MK-46, I'm not sure, I've never used a SAW so I have no opinion on this.

everything else I agree with.