Sign in to follow this  
Sh4dow

Battery questions

I got my first AEG a few weeks ago. I got two lipo batteries (2-cell) and a smart charger, but I haven't had the chance to play much yet so I've only had to charge one of the batteries once. My smart charger has 4 modes -- Balance, Discharge, Charge, and Fast Charge. I have a few questions

1) Does 'Balance' discharge the higher half, or charge the lower half, or how exactly does it work?

2) Does 'Balance' just get the two parts of the battery to be equal, at a partial charge, meaning I still have to do the regular 'Charge' after 'Balance', or will 'Balance' fully charge the battery? If the latter, is there any reason to ever use the regular 'Charge' mode?

3) Should I be running my batteries to empty and/or discharging them before charging them to avoid damage, or can I start charging a half-charged battery? I have heard that lipos don't need to be discharged but I just want confirmation.

Thanks.

1) I am not entirely sure how it works, however part 2 may explain it

2) Balance charge will get each cell in the battery to an equal voltage. It also fully charges your pack, so you do NOT need to "Charge" after you "Balance"

3) You never want to run lipos down to empty. A Lipo can be safely discharged to 3v per cell, so 6v for a 2 cell pack (nominal 7.4v) Discharging any cell under 3v can cause the pack to fail, puff up, smoke, catch fire, explode, and otherwise cause a fire & safety concern. I highly suggest you get a low voltage warning or cutoff to prevent you from over discharging the cell. If you are too cheap to do that, then when you hear the ROF of your gun slowing down, unplug the battery immediately. You can store the Lipo with a partial charge. There is no need to discharge it.

Thanks for the info. A few follow up questions

1) Since Balance fully charges the battery, should I just use that every time, and never use the regular Charge mode? Why would anyone use regular Charge mode, is it faster?

2) Is the low voltage warning/cutoff something I use while discharging with a charger, or while using the gun? I don't plan to ever discharge using the charger.

3) Are lipos normally sold with a partial charge? I got mine new on ebay, but I believe the seller said they were tested. It only took a little over an hour to charge, but based on the battery (2000mAH) and the charge rate I set (1000mA) it should have taken two hours.