Sign in to follow this  
Taiku

What was Airsoft like 5-10 years ago?

5 years...not much. 10 year...not a whole lot different far fewer producers, quality was more easily discerned between the vendors. Now 15 years ago...that was a different time.

25 years ago you could buy shell ejecting Model 59 Springer Pistols made for Daisy.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Not a whole lot different though airsoft has certainly grown. Certain products may have been more common back then than now (like classic army for example) but in terms of gameplay not a lot has changed: team deathmatch is still popular

In terms of venues and places to play, certain larger events like the Lion Claws series have grown and expanded over the years and in select regions such as southern California a lot more fields have opened up where there has been a shift from playing on remote plots of land as granted/agreed upon by local laws and LE to commercialized venues aka pay fields.

With reasonably good lower priced options available and awareness of airsoft in select regions player demographics have become more varied to include players from numerous backgrounds and facets of society.

10 years ago, clones were crap. I would argue that they really only became reasonably good in the past 5-6 years. I started airsofting about 8 years ago, and I remember you didn't dare buy a clone at that time.

Games were pretty limited too. I remember for pick up games in my area, they were always held on private property. Paintball fields were just coming around to the idea of running airsoft games. The only big "OP" game was the Thunder series.

Renegade, I believe clones were JUST entering the market at that time. All the big companies were established though. ICS, CA, TM, G&P, and G&G. I remember that G&P's had a bad rap around that time. For the most part, it was TM and CA that you saw. The only SAW's you saw were from Star, or more likely TOP. And NONE of it was cheap. I remember spending over $300 on my CA M4.

Congratulations, you've woken up the dinosaur that is me. I've been playing since 2003, and can still remember a few things about back in the day.

As mentioned by everyone here, TM was your standard lineup. They were good, reliable weapons, though low fps by today standards (about 270fps out of the box). Classic Army and ICS were close seconds, but couldn't compare internally, but outshone externally. G&G and G&P had terrific external parts, but the internals weren't as good as the TMs.

Clones came around 2006-2007ish. The first ones that were direct TM knockoffs (I.e. Metal gearbox that could take TM gearbox parts) were the CYMA 027 (MP5) and 028 (AK). There was a high lemon rate back in the day, so if you weren't a veteran technician, it was a risk.

Keep in mind that the clones not only affected the guns, but the gear and accessories. Back in the day, the highest players had at most a mesh vest or chest rig, generally military issue. Seeing a plate carrier was almost unheard of. Same with sights, grips, and other attachments.

The big thing that I remember that I don't see now of is the diversity of weapons. You go to a skirmish, you'll see a whole slew of different weapons; AKs, Armalites (M4s, M16s), AUGs, P90s, G36 series, G3s, MP5, just to name the big ones. Now you go, almost everyone has some weapons based off the M4 or AK. I miss that type of diversity.

Going back "really far", when I started playing Paintball in in 1990, Airsoft was something I saw in a Philipino magazine someone gave me (spanish language) and nobody at I&I, Carter Machine, Bud Orrs Worgame store, SC village etc heard of it. I brought that magazine around to those places, this is how I know that.

Now a days, where I work, we get about 50-60 new player waivers each week. Nearly all older (25-30 up) come from paintball.

So I would say that back in the day, Gameplay wise, Airsoft was just like paintball.

wage peace

Renegade, I believe clones were JUST entering the market at that time. All the big companies were established though. ICS, CA, TM, G&P, and G&G. I remember that G&P's had a bad rap around that time. For the most part, it was TM and CA that you saw. The only SAW's you saw were from Star, or more likely TOP. And NONE of it was cheap. I remember spending over $300 on my CA M4.

Clones back in 2003 were CA or ICS. CA MP5 were horrendious...lasting about 15K shots before it blew a gear. Their AR was terrible too. Stock were made with brittle plactic and snapped in half with the slightest bump. Not to mention tolerances were so loose the TM plastic barrel wobble was considered tight on the plastic receivers. Their front barrel sets would flop from side to side like a fishes tail. They were not quality in any way and the Delusional CA owners were an odd lot.

There was also the UTG MP5. Utterly Terrible Gun...etc.

G&P was not on the scene until 2005 and I just got one of those AEG's back in a trade in. They had TM EG700 motors in them and Guarder Blue Pistons...funny

G&G was a custom maker until 2006...VFC was spawning around 2005 with accessories labelled GB-Tech.

STAR was a kit maker that required TM internals. First UMP by STAR had TM mechboxes in them.

TM also stepped over to the EG1000 in their AEG's. Most were EG700 and a lot still had EG560's.

SystemA was actually hit and miss and their components were also branded as HurricanE. Some of the SystemA FTK were atrocious. 300% PSG1 FTK made the AEG shoot slower than stock due to the 1.5mm gap between cylinder head and OB cylinder.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Lol, I remember when the UTG clones first arrived half the people on this forum thought those cheaper clones would be the death of the sport due to kids being able to afford them (or have Mommy or Daddy buy it for them) and the result would be a bunch of Ewoks and CODfish flooding the sport, ruining the entire gaming experience.

Those bitter members' assumptions weren't too far off, now that I think about it...

My close friend still uses his Classic Army from 2000-2001. It is his only gun and has been since. If I see soon ill post a pic. The wear and tear on it is real and not aritficial like you see in the field.

I remember peolle constantly telling me to put silicone oil in my gun. I remember when I went through every brand gun before I settled on my G&P. I remember when allizard was around and kwa was praised. I remember when tokyo marui used to be sold on the shelves on hobbyshops like tokyo tekki.

Sheesh I come back to this forum for the first time in years and see this thread. Makes me feel old.

The CYMA mp5 and AK changed the game. Some other brand that I can't think of right now made a MP5K that was always highly recommended for beginners. Nobody used gas guns though and the more I browse the more popular they seem to be now.

Sheesh I come back to this forum for the first time in years and see this thread. Makes me feel old.

The CYMA mp5 and AK changed the game. Some other brand that I can't think of right now made a MP5K that was always highly recommended for beginners. Nobody used gas guns though and the more I browse the more popular they seem to be now.

That would be a Galaxy MP5K.

What do you mean no one used gas guns? With "Real Green Gas" on the market along with the Maruzen MP5K, M1100, Tanaka's and metal kitted WA's...a lot of people used Gas guns.

That would be a Galaxy MP5K.

What do you mean no one used gas guns? With "Real Green Gas" on the market along with the Maruzen MP5K, M1100, Tanaka's and metal kitted WA's...a lot of people used Gas guns.

I should have phrased that better. I never knew anybody with a gas blow back rifle. Of course people had gas handguns but gas m4s and whatnot were not common at all around my parts. I always thought gas guns were for handguns and the occasional sniper rifle. To this day I've still have not seen a classic gbbr in person. Now when I browse airsoft store sites, they advertise gas blow back rifles left and right.

Guest Whorify
Clones back in 2003 were CA or ICS. CA MP5 were horrendious...lasting about 15K shots before it blew a gear. Their AR was terrible too. Stock were made with brittle plactic and snapped in half with the slightest bump. Not to mention tolerances were so loose the TM plastic barrel wobble was considered tight on the plastic receivers. Their front barrel sets would flop from side to side like a fishes tail. They were not quality in any way and the Delusional CA owners were an odd lot.

There was also the UTG MP5. Utterly Terrible Gun...etc.

G&P was not on the scene until 2005 and I just got one of those AEG's back in a trade in. They had TM EG700 motors in them and Guarder Blue Pistons...funny

G&G was a custom maker until 2006...VFC was spawning around 2005 with accessories labelled GB-Tech.

STAR was a kit maker that required TM internals. First UMP by STAR had TM mechboxes in them.

TM also stepped over to the EG1000 in their AEG's. Most were EG700 and a lot still had EG560's.

SystemA was actually hit and miss and their components were also branded as HurricanE. Some of the SystemA FTK were atrocious. 300% PSG1 FTK made the AEG shoot slower than stock due to the 1.5mm gap between cylinder head and OB cylinder.

Your whole post just brought me back to those days. Anything non-Tokyo Marui and non-Systema was crap.

What I remember most was support weapons were rare. The only M60s and m249s easily available was from TOP and you still had to pay a Ton for the piston conversion kit or PGC gearbox drop in. After spending $1k on the gun plus another $500 or more on the internal your m60 or m249 might last one or two games before it required another overhaul on maintenance. So seeing a support weapon on the field really turned heads back in those days.

Now anyone can rock an A&K m60 and not know the pains we used to go through.

Oh the awful flashback of 11 years of airsoft in a floundering and broken community with no place to play and evike as the only airsoft store...

Needless to say the community still sucks, but at least we have better places to shop at...

I think the community was better "back in the day". I think there was better sportsmanship, telling people nice kill/good shot between games, less ego. Now days, I just don't see that at games. Fights, egos, and bad attitudes are becoming more common.

I think the community was better "back in the day". I think there was better sportsmanship, telling people nice kill/good shot between games, less ego. Now days, I just don't see that at games. Fights, egos, and bad attitudes are becoming more common.

I get that a lot around here, but I'm glad it's still 75% good sportsmanship.

Oh the awful flashback of 11 years of airsoft in a floundering and broken community with no place to play and evike as the only airsoft store...

Needless to say the community still sucks, but at least we have better places to shop at...

That is not going very far back. Evike was a later comer into the online market.

Who remembers that company in Tennessee or Kentucky somewhere that started with a letter M and sold TM's for 800.00. This was before Atlanta Airsoft

What about Gas Guns back then? What about fields? Milsim games?

can't speak for players everywhere but where I frequented:

There were fewer WE pistols 5-10 years ago haha. I remember a lot of players picking up TM 226s and Guarder metal body kits and such.

Where I played, back then fields were free to play, at specific locations where LE gave us their blessing (and would bring their kids) to play. There were fewer players and less emotional people.

"milsim" games were different back then, though I been playing 6 years so the folks who have been in longer can elaborate. Some pretty nice AOs have been made available in recent years, if only folks ego-checked themselves as opposed to the "I paid xyz dollars for admission and traveled abc miles I WILL HAVE FUN AT OTHERS' EXPENSE WOOH!" mentality that goes around in select "milsim" circles.

Guest Whorify

10 years ago, especially here in Socal, it was less speedball and more milsim. I hate playing on local fields today because of that reason.

Gas guns, the only field worthy 1911 was a TM Hi-capa or spending $700+ on upgrades on a WA. Everyone talked crap about KWA and to get the KSC versions only. Airsoft Glocks were easier to find and buy at local shops.

This thread makes me feel old =[

Since most of the historical perspectives have been touched on I will post a few of my personal memories of airsofting back in the day.

I was a born airsofter.

I never liked paintball. The guns look like vacuum cleaner attachments, the paintballs are messy and painful, and you need to spend a lot on ammo and air. I had seen a toy gun my friend had that shot rubber bbs and I always thought that was a great idea but for some reason I could never find one of those toys for sale myself.

I lived in a trailer park. We had neighborhood nerf wars on a daily basis. We were all poor but I was always poorer than my friends. When my friends got new nerf guns my old one broke. So, at age 10 I did my first repair/upgrade. I replaced the internal peg that broke in my pistol with a hacked off crochet needle I stole from mom and held it in place with hot glue. I stretched out the mainspring and improved the piston head on the nerf gun and put it back together. I lost the trigger spring though. The gun was so precarious to load that only I could do it. It would out shoot any other gun we had but if you bumped it when cocked it would go off. I named it ol' betsy.

Fast forward 6 years. I had built and upgraded countless nerf guns but nerf was starting to get old. I was the first one of my friends to have seen or heard of an airsoft gun. I spotted it in the walmart sporting goods section. I was giddy.

Soon we all had springers. Oh, the crap springers we would buy! We had a local sporting goods store that kept us armed but everything was cheap and awful. It took me over a year to realize there was anything better because we were poor to have internet. I spent hours researching and reading about airsoft and AEGs once we finally got dial up. But there were no cheap AEGs back then. The lowest costing AEG I could find was the MP5K and it was 230 bucks plus battery (guns didn't come with a battery back then) plus charger plus shipping. There was no way we could afford one.

So I was constantly buying and breaking and repairing and breaking springers. It wasn't until my first year of college when I had income of my own that I got an AEG. I saved for half a year and got a TM G3. When I came home and played that summer I only used it for a couple of games because it just wasn't fair to use it against everyone who still owned springers.

So that is what airsoft was like for me 10+ years ago. I remember all the days spent in the mountains with my friends. The wacky mismatches of teams and equipment. Now that I am an adult with a decent job I have some 5 aegs but thinking back I am glad we couldn't have whatever guns we wanted back then. The lack of income made tinkering/modding a necessity and now it is one of my favorite pass times. If my parents just bought me an AEG back then I don't think I would appreciate having them as much today.

It was a great childhood really. I wouldn't trade it for the world. :)