Sign in to follow this  
Pardini

GBB 1911 Quality Ranking

Looking for a Full Metal single stack 1911 that will operate on Propane.

Lots of options, but having no GBB experience its difficult to sort out the the quality of each of the different brands. The only yardstick I see is price which is some what deceptive because I've seen great variations in prices on the same models. I've seen WE 1911 MEU's for sale from 75 to 120 dollars.

So I'm wondering if there is some sort of general consensous as to which brands are considered better quality, maybe rank them 1 to 10 and give the pros or cons as to why one is of better quality than another.

The other thing is that it appears as if some parts like Mags may interchange between brands. Like Socom Gear and WE Mags are the same?

Just the ones that are already metal (if it didn't, TM and WA top the list)

-KJW because TM clone and have an option to take CO2

-Tercel/Army also TM clone, bit cheap on looks but can't argue on price

-KWA pretty decent out of the box, but practically no after market parts

-KWC meh but cheap and CO2 only plus same as KWA, no after market parts

way down the list

-WE/Socom Gear (rebrand, refinish, same banana) hardly recommended unless it was given to you as a gift or picked one up on the street because the previous owner finally had enough of it

Just the ones that are already metal (if it didn't, TM and WA top the list)

-KJW because TM clone and have an option to take CO2

-Tercel/Army also TM clone, bit cheap on looks but can't argue on price

-KWA pretty decent out of the box, but practically no after market parts

-KWC meh but cheap and CO2 only plus same as KWA, no after market parts

way down the list

-WE/Socom Gear (rebrand, refinish, same banana) hardly recommended unless it was given to you as a gift or picked one up on the street because the previous owner finally had enough of it

It was obvious to me that the TM's were at the top, but eliminated them from consideration for two reasons. One I wanted a full metal gun to better match the wieght of my IDPA gun, second I wanted to run propane. Seems that the "rule of thumb" is not to run propane thru the TM's, though that is disputed by some. I have a cheap source of 134A, but propane can be had any where and it wouldn't surprise me if the EPA put the squeeze on 134 A sales at some point. I'm not completely against a TM and upgrading to a metal slide, but really want a gun ready to go out of the box, so I don't have to get too involved tracking down parts and figuring out all the fine details of how to make an upgrade work.

Also want a single stack frame to replicate my IDPA gun. One thing that is not clear is, if all so called "double stack" mags mean that the grip frame is wider or if the double stack can mean hi cap in some cases. Are there thin double stack mags? I would think Double stack always means wider but not sure in some cases.

Anyway thanks for the ranking, it helps. Think I'll have to track down a KJW.

Is there some type of upgrade guide that outlines what parts work best together and then details the results of the upgrade. Seems to me that if you change one part that you'll need to change out springs etc to compensate for the added weight, pressure, cycle rate or whatever.

Is there some type of upgrade guide that outlines what parts work best together and then details the results of the upgrade. Seems to me that if you change one part that you'll need to change out springs etc to compensate for the added weight, pressure, cycle rate or whatever.

Nope....definitely not a compendium.

Because the projectiles are much, much smaller than actual .45acp you can effectively double stack 6mm bbs well within the dimensions of a single stack 1911 magazine. All WA/TM/KWC spec 1911 mags are double stacked while WE is a true single stack in a single stack magazine, but as mentioned, don't bother with that brand/gun.

With regards to TM not taking propane, it's a general rule and what's stated in the manual but many of their guns are proven to be robust enough and one of those is the 1911. But the weight issue will be a big problem if you want to replicate the balance of your real gun. TMs are plastic and are weighted down by metal inserts under the grips making for a centrally balanced pistol. If you take the weights out or swap the grips with solid wood then it becomes lighter and good for overall airsoft use except mimicking the weight and feel of a real gun. Again, KJW comes highly recommended and if you feel the muzzle isn't quite heavy enough you can install a steel outer barrel and barrel bushing.

Like Guges said, no compendium of parts upgrade compatibility exists as handy as that will be. Mostly it's just ask people at forums and hope to get a speedy answer. You are right however to assume that some parts or upgrades go hand in hand like using a metal slide would need a stiffer recoil spring to compensate for the slack or nozzle and piston lid tightness has to be checked for gas efficiency.

Looking for a Full Metal single stack 1911 that will operate on Propane.

Lots of options, but having no GBB experience its difficult to sort out the the quality of each of the different brands. The only yardstick I see is price which is some what deceptive because I've seen great variations in prices on the same models. I've seen WE 1911 MEU's for sale from 75 to 120 dollars.

So I'm wondering if there is some sort of general consensous as to which brands are considered better quality, maybe rank them 1 to 10 and give the pros or cons as to why one is of better quality than another.

The other thing is that it appears as if some parts like Mags may interchange between brands. Like Socom Gear and WE Mags are the same?

If you want the ultimate 1911 that will run on propane get a TM 1911 and buy a full metal kit for it.

Hey, I actually have been through quite a few pistols, I had a TM 1911 full metal double stacked with 25rd and it will shoot to the last bb and still has some gas in it, I used propane on it. Truely TM and KWA are the best for pistols. But however they are more expensive and magazine cost a bit more too.

If you are looking for something cheap, you might want a WE, but they are only single stack, and performance isn't as good as TM/KWA, but you can still upgrade the performance close to a KWA. WE current has the widest range of upgrade parts available.

I have read on some reviews that KJW while being double stacked like KWA and TM, they usually will not have enough gas to shoot all 25rd, it will run out of gas during 18-20rd.