to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
DesiredShot

Tokyo Marui VSR-10 spring upgrade question

Hi everyone, I'm finally in the market to get an airsoft sniper rifle and I'm pretty set on a tokyo marui because ive heard such great things about their quality and accuracy out of the box, and my personal favorite is the VSR-10 Gspec. But like many people who choose tokyo marui, I desire a higher fps, especially for a long range rifle, as I hate getting bbs dragged around in the air easier because of a low velocity. So the first thing I am looking to get is an upgraded spring, and I'd like to boost my fps up to around the 450-520 fps range. However, I've heard that using a stiffer spring in a TM rifle is really hard on the internal parts, and I'm not a huge gun tech, so I'm not quite sure as to what I should be having to replace/upgrade (if anything at all). Can anyone please tell me whether I would have to upgrade internal parts to be able to handle a powerful spring like that, and if so, what else should I be getting and what brands do you recommend? Thanks in advance! :a-grin:

In my opinion if you want to have a VSR/Bar-10 that shoots over 450 fps or so you are better off getting the JG version of the gun because you save some money which you can put towards upgrades.

What you get with the TM VSR/BAR 10

-A damn good hopup system superior (when it comes to tolerances and whatnot) to the JG's

-a presumably better barrel quality (im not 100% sure about this one but you can do your research for this one)

As a note for making a quality sniper let me inform you that throwing in quality parts to a bolt action sniper will not automatically make it a great gun. There are many MANY mods you can do to your gun which can improve consistency and accuracy before you need to upgrade the power.

If you ask me this is what I would do if I were you:

-Buy a JG bar 10 [not g-spec because the barrel length increases efficiency (ill explain in a moment)]

-Buy a silencer that extends the barrel such that you can use a 550mm inner barrel (will explain in a moment)

-Buy an aftermarket 550mm barrel (quality > barrel inner diameter)

-Upgrade to a 90-degree trigger (zero triggers are 90-degree triggers and have all around better trigger pull, bolt push) Ive heard the action army trigger is pretty great and it even comes with a piston! ($135)

-Upgrade your piston to a metal 90-degree piston. Stock pistons are 45 degrees and wont work with a 90 degree trigger mechanism (and they are made of plastic that cant support much more than the stock spring)

-And of course upgrade your spring and spring guide.

However, like I said, your gun will still need some work after that. Now you begin to modify the gun.

Here's a list of mods you can search on Google to find out more about. These are ordered from most important to least important (This is in my opinion. If you disagree post about it)

-Homemade barrel spacer(s) (you can technically buy these but they're rather easy to make on your own)

-Anti-blowby rings or anti-blowby sleeve (these are paramount for getting consistent FPS output which also gives you consistent shot trajectory)

-Floss and Teflon around the hop up rubber (this is only if you don't do the anti-blowby rings/sleeve. This is an easier alternative to the ABB rings but also inferior quality)

-Top-dead-center Hop up adjuster (Also known as the "TDC" mod) This corrects a flaw in the VSR hopup design and makes sure the BB's get the perfect 12 o'clock spin and not the 1 o'clock spin that VSR rifles are known for.

-Longrange Barrel Mod (LRB Mod) This mod has quite a bit of explanation so ill let you find out what this does on your own

-Polish the inner walls of your cylinder. Just like in AEG's this increases consistency. Do it.

-Port the stock cylinder head (not very important but very easy!)

-Clay stock mod: Fill the stock with clay (the kind that doesnt harden) This helps balance the gun and can help reduce the vibrations in general (Again, not very important but very easy)

That's about all I can think of right now but that should get you started at least.

I promised I would explain why a 550mm barrel is what you should use so here I go...

Basically the VSR cylinder is very large. In fact it is so large that when you shoot a BB there is still a considerable amount of air coming out of the barrel after the BB has left the barrel. This is fine however it means that the gun is not fully using all the air its pushing out. It has become known to VSR users that the stock cylinder (non-bore up type) performs best with 550-555mm barrel. So imagine you two identical Bar-10's (same spring, same piston etc.) with the only exception being that one has a 430mm barrel (length of a non g-spec bar 10) and the other has a 550mm barrel. If you were to chrono the two guns you would find that the one with the 550mm barrel would have a higher FPS that the 430mm. This is because of the 550mm barrel gives the bb more time in the barrel to accelerate. Chew on that for a while and if it doesn't make sense research it on the forums. Another difference between the gun with the 550mm barrel is that it will also be quieter than the other because it has less excess air rushing out of the barrel when you shoot (also a benefit)

Here are a couple helpful picture that can help you understand the difference between 45 and 90 degree trigger mechs:

45 degree mechanism

90 degree mechanism

I know it was an earful but I hope I at least helped a little! :a-salute:

In my opinion if you want to have a VSR/Bar-10 that shoots over 450 fps or so you are better off getting the JG version of the gun because you save some money which you can put towards upgrades.

What you get with the TM VSR/BAR 10

-A damn good hopup system superior (when it comes to tolerances and whatnot) to the JG's

-a presumably better barrel quality (im not 100% sure about this one but you can do your research for this one)

As a note for making a quality sniper let me inform you that throwing in quality parts to a bolt action sniper will not automatically make it a great gun. There are many MANY mods you can do to your gun which can improve consistency and accuracy before you need to upgrade the power.

If you ask me this is what I would do if I were you:

-Buy a JG bar 10 [not g-spec because the barrel length increases efficiency (ill explain in a moment)]

-Buy a silencer that extends the barrel such that you can use a 550mm inner barrel (will explain in a moment)

-Buy an aftermarket 550mm barrel (quality > barrel inner diameter)

-Upgrade to a 90-degree trigger (zero triggers are 90-degree triggers and have all around better trigger pull, bolt push) Ive heard the action army trigger is pretty great and it even comes with a piston! ($135)

-Upgrade your piston to a metal 90-degree piston. Stock pistons are 45 degrees and wont work with a 90 degree trigger mechanism (and they are made of plastic that cant support much more than the stock spring)

-And of course upgrade your spring and spring guide.

However, like I said, your gun will still need some work after that. Now you begin to modify the gun.

Here's a list of mods you can search on Google to find out more about. These are ordered from most important to least important (This is in my opinion. If you disagree post about it)

-Homemade barrel spacer(s) (you can technically buy these but they're rather easy to make on your own)

-Anti-blowby rings or anti-blowby sleeve (these are paramount for getting consistent FPS output which also gives you consistent shot trajectory)

-Floss and Teflon around the hop up rubber (this is only if you don't do the anti-blowby rings/sleeve. This is an easier alternative to the ABB rings but also inferior quality)

-Top-dead-center Hop up adjuster (Also known as the "TDC" mod) This corrects a flaw in the VSR hopup design and makes sure the BB's get the perfect 12 o'clock spin and not the 1 o'clock spin that VSR rifles are known for.

-Longrange Barrel Mod (LRB Mod) This mod has quite a bit of explanation so ill let you find out what this does on your own

-Polish the inner walls of your cylinder. Just like in AEG's this increases consistency. Do it.

-Port the stock cylinder head (not very important but very easy!)

-Clay stock mod: Fill the stock with clay (the kind that doesnt harden) This helps balance the gun and can help reduce the vibrations in general (Again, not very important but very easy)

That's about all I can think of right now but that should get you started at least.

I promised I would explain why a 550mm barrel is what you should use so here I go...

Basically the VSR cylinder is very large. In fact it is so large that when you shoot a BB there is still a considerable amount of air coming out of the barrel after the BB has left the barrel. This is fine however it means that the gun is not fully using all the air its pushing out. It has become known to VSR users that the stock cylinder (non-bore up type) performs best with 550-555mm barrel. So imagine you two identical Bar-10's (same spring, same piston etc.) with the only exception being that one has a 430mm barrel (length of a non g-spec bar 10) and the other has a 550mm barrel. If you were to chrono the two guns you would find that the one with the 550mm barrel would have a higher FPS that the 430mm. This is because of the 550mm barrel gives the bb more time in the barrel to accelerate. Chew on that for a while and if it doesn't make sense research it on the forums. Another difference between the gun with the 550mm barrel is that it will also be quieter than the other because it has less excess air rushing out of the barrel when you shoot (also a benefit)

Here are a couple helpful picture that can help you understand the difference between 45 and 90 degree trigger mechs:

45 degree mechanism

90 degree mechanism

I know it was an earful but I hope I at least helped a little! :a-salute:

Thank you very much for the advice! My mind has now been opened a little to some other options, and if getting a TM turns out to not be worth it for me, this is definitely a pretty good alternative. I'll consider, but like I said, I'm not really a gun tech, so I don't know if I would want to replace a TON of internal parts of a lower end rifle like the JG, even if it is a cheaper way to go. My invision as far as upgrades was to maybe change out the stock inner barrel and spring, and maybe get a stronger piston or piston head so I don't get "slam fire". And by the way, I actually have a friend that owns a JG bar 10, and I actually do think it gets the job done quite well for around $100 bucks even stock with no upgrades. But I guess I've kinda just wanted to own one of the legendary tokyo marui airsoft guns for myself, because I've owned and fired many high quality airsoft brands of guns, but never a TM.

Here's the thing about sniper rifles in airsoft.

Unless you're willing to dump a lot... I mean A LOT of money into the gun and do A LOT of mods, if not then the gun is no better than a regular aeg. Why?

Sniper rifle in airsoft is still powered by spring. Which means aeg is still better. An upgraded sniper rifle will hit as far as a r-hopped aeg. Aeg can pull 30rps while you're shooting one shot per like 3-5 seconds. Sniping in airsoft is frustationg because many people do not call their hits. And even if they do get hit, they won' honor it because it's one bb...

Onto your answer.

TM vs JG

pros and cons about getting a TM. You can infer the rest about the JG.

TM stock is A LOT better.

You get the name "tokyo marui". Selling the gun after you upgrade it will be easier because its a TM

Cons

Expensive as a base gun

After you upgrade the gun, it will be the same as the JG anyway...

Upgrading the gun. Upgrading a spring action is probably the easiest thing I done... unlike the AEG, you literally don't have ANY tricky parts in the gun at all...

You remove the bottom and the top. Unscrew the trigger unit, pop out the cylinder, twist the barrel and you get the barrel unit. That's all there is to disassembling a spring sniper vsr-10.

Also for the gspec, you can upgrade the barrel to 550 no problem. I have own many vsr-10s and Still have one

I dumped over $1,300+ on the gun and have spend hours on DIY mods to make the gun outrange any aeg.

Parts I would get

zero trigger by laylax (90 degree sears)

cylinder,piston,piston hhead, spring guide, + spring upgrade

550 barrel if you're using the gspec. I would really suggest you get the g-spec because with the silencer, it fits perfectly inside. If you get a regular vsr-10 and add a silencer, it will be kinda long.

And a lot of DIY mods to make the gun better.

Here's the thing about sniper rifles in airsoft.

Unless you're willing to dump a lot... I mean A LOT of money into the gun and do A LOT of mods, if not then the gun is no better than a regular aeg. Why?

Sniper rifle in airsoft is still powered by spring. Which means aeg is still better. An upgraded sniper rifle will hit as far as a r-hopped aeg. Aeg can pull 30rps while you're shooting one shot per like 3-5 seconds. Sniping in airsoft is frustationg because many people do not call their hits. And even if they do get hit, they won' honor it because it's one bb...

Onto your answer.

TM vs JG

pros and cons about getting a TM. You can infer the rest about the JG.

TM stock is A LOT better.

You get the name "tokyo marui". Selling the gun after you upgrade it will be easier because its a TM

Cons

Expensive as a base gun

After you upgrade the gun, it will be the same as the JG anyway...

Upgrading the gun. Upgrading a spring action is probably the easiest thing I done... unlike the AEG, you literally don't have ANY tricky parts in the gun at all...

You remove the bottom and the top. Unscrew the trigger unit, pop out the cylinder, twist the barrel and you get the barrel unit. That's all there is to disassembling a spring sniper vsr-10.

Also for the gspec, you can upgrade the barrel to 550 no problem. I have own many vsr-10s and Still have one

I dumped over $1,300+ on the gun and have spend hours on DIY mods to make the gun outrange any aeg.

Parts I would get

zero trigger by laylax (90 degree sears)

cylinder,piston,piston hhead, spring guide, + spring upgrade

550 barrel if you're using the gspec. I would really suggest you get the g-spec because with the silencer, it fits perfectly inside. If you get a regular vsr-10 and add a silencer, it will be kinda long.

And a lot of DIY mods to make the gun better.

Thanks very much, this helped a lot. And I already have owned my fair share of aeg's, went from a cyma m14 to a kwa sr10 overtime and now im running a vfc hk416 as my primary aeg. I think a sniper would be a great addition to the loadout, something different, even if it is more of a challenge to use.