Sign in to follow this  
Coyote98

Best Budget DMR Platform?

As the title and title descriptiony thing says, I am looking at building a DMR. BUT- I also want it to be a budget gun, meaning I'm going to try and spend as little as possible to see how little it would actually cost for a long-range platform you can actually use..

So pretty much, what would be the best platform for a low budget DMR? I don't mean brand itself, I mean gun platform mixed with actual gearbox/hop-up. This also means room enough RIS for a scope without a riser/mount, to keep the price down.

ALSO another thing is I have a 10.8v butterfly battery, so as a requirement I would like to have enough battery space to store that.

PS if you say building a budget DMR is impossible without helping I will eat you with a spoon. And use your juices as chip dip.

Better get a spoon... Damn, I just ate too.

I want to keep the gun itself under $200, preferably about $150.

And I was looking at the M16 but most have a front sight that doesn't come off... and while I'll be using a 3-9x scope later on, I'm going to be using the iron sights when I first get the gun so I'm not keen of lopping the triangle sight off... This was the one fatal flaw because I was looking at JGs since their stock GB is good but I realized I would have to take a hacksaw to the sight...

I was also looking at the G3 because they're beautiful, does anybody know if you can get a full size one with rails on the top that isn't ugly as hell?

Better get a spoon... Damn, I just ate too.

I want to keep the gun itself under $200, preferably about $150.

And I was looking at the M16 but most have a front sight that doesn't come off... and while I'll be using a 3-9x scope later on, I'm going to be using the iron sights when I first get the gun so I'm not keen of lopping the triangle sight off... This was the one fatal flaw because I was looking at JGs since their stock GB is good but I realized I would have to take a hacksaw to the sight...

I was also looking at the G3 because they're beautiful, does anybody know if you can get a full size one with rails on the top that isn't ugly as hell?

Aren't the front sights held on with metal pins?

You could take it off and put a fake gas block or replica vltor type front flip up sight/gas block combo.

A&K SR-25

yes, completely agree. I barely had to do anything to mine. I added a g&p hop up & bucking I already had and bought a steel 6.03 barrel. it shot amazingly accurate and had at least a 200ft range. I couldnt see the bb's anymore past that

the piston eventually stripped a little bit and I replaced it with the g&p set

a great GREAT budget gun. solid externals too. nothing on mine was creaky or wobbly

the gearbox is an extended v2. it gets more compression and has been said to take some of the stress off of the front of the shell

also jg recently came out with sl-8 variants. those would be good to get at a cheaper price. they would have good externals and they run a v3 which is great for dmr set ups. a lightweight gun too. theres the E1 mtc3 too. all youd have to focus on would be bucking, nub, and barrel til something breaks in the gearbox. maybe use a short silencer so you could run a barrel thats a little bit longer than a g36c length. something like an m4 length barrel

The longer the plank the more range. I like how you think Guges. :a-laugh:

I did see the SL-8s but I found that V3 gearboxes can be a PITA to work on, so I was like "yeahhh I'm gonna look at V2s".

I once glanced at the A&K SR-25 but I have had a not so great time with the company before, their guns can be bleh, so I didn't know if the gun was any good or not. And with it being on the top of my technically nonexistent price range, I was kinda wary. But it appears I won't have to bludgeon it to get good accuracy so I'll look around and might just get that, and if it arrives broken beat the first Amish I see with it and say it's Zemanova. :a-laugh:

The longer the plank the more range. I like how you think Guges. :a-laugh:

I did see the SL-8s but I found that V3 gearboxes can be a PITA to work on, so I was like "yeahhh I'm gonna look at V2s".

I once glanced at the A&K SR-25 but I have had a not so great time with the company before, their guns can be bleh, so I didn't know if the gun was any good or not. And with it being on the top of my technically nonexistent price range, I was kinda wary. But it appears I won't have to bludgeon it to get good accuracy so I'll look around and might just get that, and if it arrives broken beat the first Amish I see with it and say it's Zemanova. :a-laugh:

for.. budget... A&K IS your best and nearly only option.

Even then it'll have the looks of a DMR but I kid you not. My 141mm barreled stubby will out range you any day.

You get what you pay for.

Well I know that... Out of the box it probably has the range of my KJW when it works... I'll need to drop in a hop-up and a new barrel, and I'll probably put in a new motor because I have one lying around and why the f*ck not.

I completely forgot about cymas clone of the real sword svd. have you given any thought to that one? that would be probly the best budget dmr sniper hands down without actually buying the real sword AND you can put inexpensive rs svd internal parts in it. you could literally have rs svd performance without actually having one

I once glanced at the A&K SR-25 but I have had a not so great time with the company before, their guns can be bleh, so I didn't know if the gun was any good or not. And with it being on the top of my technically nonexistent price range, I was kinda wary. But it appears I won't have to bludgeon it to get good accuracy so I'll look around and might just get that

the jg sl-8's should be pretty nice. I don't think a v3 is hard to work on at all

the a&k is a good choice. just plan on getting rid of all the hop and barrel junk straight out of the box. the a&k has an odd gear set. they do not look like other sr-25 gear sets. they look like standard gears, but when the axle fell out of its spur a standard spur did not work with the other gears.

I'll probably put in a new motor because I have one lying around and why the f*ck not.

the motor that comes with the gun is pretty powerful. I can remember the review here showing it holding at least one hammer

I once swapped mines motor out for a matrix 3k magnum and saw no improvement so I put the stock motor back

the stock wiring is pretty nice too. I think itll come with a stainless cylinder, metal bushings, and a metal bearing spring guide. youll probly only want to look for its proprietary air seal nozzle and the g&p piston and head set for it

do an asf search for the review by ion I think. its a good one to read

Edited by Zemanova

Kinda sorta skimming, but I'm another one for the A&K SR-25

It's got a v2.5 gearbox.

The stock piston and piston head are strong.

The stock bushings are metal.

The stock motor is some stupid powerful neo magnet motor and doesn't need replacing.

Stock gears are alright, should be fine up to an M150.

The gun is metal, there is a full stock.

So in the end, you need $200 for the gun, $20 for gears, $20 for cylinder and a nozzle, $5-20 for a spring. And you can just keep the barrel clean, and bam, you're done. Competition worthy budget DMR for less than $300.

Kinda sorta skimming, but I'm another one for the A&K SR-25

It's got a v2.5 gearbox.

The stock piston and piston head are strong.

The stock bushings are metal.

The stock motor is some stupid powerful neo magnet motor and doesn't need replacing.

Stock gears are alright, should be fine up to an M150.

The gun is metal, there is a full stock.

So in the end, you need $200 for the gun, $20 for gears, $20 for cylinder and a nozzle, $5-20 for a spring. And you can just keep the barrel clean, and bam, you're done. Competition worthy budget DMR for less than $300.

Pretty friggin awesome... Then dump another few bucks into externals and I have a powey mczapper!

Which is what I will name it.

Powey McZapper.

Pretty friggin awesome... Then dump another few bucks into externals and I have a powey mcderper

pretty much what I did. I already had a nice hop up and bucking so all I had to buy for inside mine was the tb and piston set. I probly spent less than $65 in the internals. I never got around to getting an airseal nozzle for mine. I don't think they were out back then.

I ended up buying a cheap element target grip, acm curved metal trigger gaurd, and splurging on a pts prs stock ....which cost more than the whole gun did in the first place. I dount count external costs into the budget dmr cost as they don't have anything to do with the guns performance, but because I wasnt dumping money into internal parts I was able to get a couple nice externals over time

I have since converted it into a magpul battle rifle inspired ....uh magpul battle rifle

64185_356826647765657_87964064_n.jpg

im pretty proud of my budget dmr. I didnt even have to spend extra money on the acs stock and moe handguard since I just transferred them from an m4 I had. its front wired and I didnt even have to do any wiring either. all it took was repositioning the wires to the front because of how long they are and that was even after id shortened them for the prs stock

its never really taken me much to have this gun working and looking really nice. like I said, when I converted it I already had all this stuff on another gun so the conversion into the magpul br cost me $0

the a&k makes for a great piece on a low budget. I also want to mention that not all sr-25's use the same long v2 gearbox. some use a regular v2 with a special hop up. jg is one of those ones. so stay away from the jg's and e'1 unless its confirmed that the one youll get has a v2 long or else youll get the same performance out of them as any m4/16

Edited by Zemanova

One caveat about the A&K SR25 and it's nozzle and cylinder. The stock cylinder nozzle port is larger than normal, so a regular aftermarket nozzle won't fit on it. I believe a bore up nozzle might fit, but I haven't tested this to confirm it. So if you get a nozzle, you'll need a new cylinder head as well.

One caveat about the A&K SR25 and it's nozzle and cylinder. The stock cylinder nozzle port is larger than normal, so a regular aftermarket nozzle won't fit on it. I believe a bore up nozzle might fit, but I haven't tested this to confirm it. So if you get a nozzle, you'll need a new cylinder head as well.

Alright, that will help, thanks. The A&K seems like the perfect DMR platform for someone who doesn't have a job at the moment :a-laugh:

Oh and Zemanova, that gun is beautiful. I like the grip and the stock, though I'm gonna keep the regular RIS on it and put in a longass TBB with a big suppressor. Because for some reason, I tend to think these guns aren't complete without a giant can on the front. Is that just me?

Edited by Coyote98

I don't think you really need to switch out the cylinder head for a standard airseal nozzle. they did start making airseal nozzles for it after a while. I suppose it wouldnt matter because you could then use that as an excuse to upgrade the cylinder head. ive also heard that you can use acr/masada air seal nozzles and shorten them

KHM has 2 different styles of sr25 air seal nozzles currently still in stock for cheap. though I dunno if either of them are direct drop in compatible with the a&k

Oh and Zemanova, that gun is beautiful. I like the grip and the stock, though I'm gonna keep the regular RIS on it and put in a longass TBB with a big suppressor. Because for some reason, I tend to think these guns aren't complete without a giant can on the front. Is that just me?

well itll be pretty "longass" with the supressor it comes with. youd be fine with just a 509mm that way you have the option of removing the suppressor. its almost ridiculously long

there are no barrel threads on the a&k. it comes with a long supressor that works in conjunction with the gas block. another thing you wont have to buy thats included in the guns price. and its metal. it also comes apart to access the inner chamber

this is what it would look like with the supressor attatched. (mine pre-conversion)

374230_110717915709866_2017459340_n.jpg

you could end up with something this sexy looking hopefully minus the nasty scope riser and maybe do an fde or od paint job

I would suggest a cooler rail for it. ive seen some people mod the ends of noveske 11/12''s. I bet a long dd lite/mk12 rail would look pretty badass. you cant use the moe handguards unless you change the barrel to a standard type. which I guess is the only thing unrealistic about mine maybe. having it front wired would allow you to use any choice of stock on it unless you use a buffer tube lipo

I was/am pretty sure that jg was making their model with a standard v2 because the e1 versions had standard v2's and that meant they werent a&k's, but apparently jg makes or was making sr25 long type v2's that looked like even better quality than the a&k

maybe upgrade the swirly a&k shell to an 8mm bearing version

you could also run one of these or sr-25 pmag mids. the mag it comes with is a 450 round hi-cap. you might not see the need for extra mags in a dmr role if you choose to use the hi-cap. I heard about some other brand mag incompatibilities a long while back when I got mine

Edited by Zemanova

That riser is fugly, but that looks pretty much like what I'll end up having for the most part when I complete it... I did see the G&P M16 stock with the movable back plate which looks pretty cool in my opinion so I might shove that on it. If I do get another stock I'll probably get it in OD so I can just get an OD handguard or something, but more than likely it'll be like that setup you have.

And do they make SR-25 Pmag mids? That's pretty cool.

And do they make SR-25 Pmag mids? That's pretty cool.

ehobby should have them

evike has one with the full stock still listed for pre-order past its due date. I dunno if it has the long type v2 in it or not. it don't come with the supressor, dunno the external and internal quality on it or the actual brand name, but it comes with rip off g&p zombie killer trades. I wouldnt trust it over the a&k

I also have my pts prs stock from that picture up for trade. its buffer tube has a cut out section under the cheek rest that allows it to hold compact lipos pretty well. that is IF you have anything worthy of trade that im looking for. check my sig link. last post has what im currently interested in the most as well as things in the first 2 posts

Edited by Zemanova

My plan was to just buy the full stock afterwards, and buy the regular version. And I saw the thread the other day, but the only things I have to get rid of at the moment are just random bits and a jamtastic WE 1911, lol.