Sign in to follow this  
The Great Dane

RC Airsoft Helicopter Logistics

Hello, ASF, I made this post because I'm interested in building an rc helicopter for airsoft purposes.

I want an "assault" helicopter with a working gun.

I'm thinking you could take an aeg gearbox, put it in the helicopter, and replace the magazine with a gravity fed bb chamber. Or is that too large?

I'm assuming a plastic gearbox would be better in this project due to its light weight. Am I mistaken?

Is it easier to mount the weapons system externally? If so, how could I accomplish that with decent aesthetics?

However, what helicopter would be the right size for this project? Preferably one with a camera mount. Im going to try to live stream some video from it.

Also, any advice on how to get a gearbox to remotely fire, and how to hook it up to a rc controller?

Finally, I was thinking of mounting a grenade on the underside of the helicopters wings. (Assuming it has wings)

Would this be too heavy? Unnecessary? And once again, how could I get them to fire remotely?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just found this, and I'm pretty sure I can apply this to my helicopter. Any idea what wiring he used?

He mentioned servo motor control, any idea what that is?

Edited by The Great Dane

Here...read this thread where the guy had the same idea...but the "realists" pointed out the hurdles and none of them were over come.

http://www.airsoftia.com/forums/showthread...t=airsoft+drone

Then on top of that...what do you think a nice heavy bb stream is going to do to the rotors?

A T-Rex 600 Nitro or above will likely have enough lift to carry an AEP and the extra electronics for firing it, but these are also in the size class of chopping-your-head-off-if-you-crash-it-in-a-crowd which is why they are definitely highly inadvisable for flying anywhere near people. Just dream of mounting a camera on a quad copter like most folks and use it for surveillance for airsoft or peeking at neighbors in the shower.

I have to say that this weekend I got to see an airsoft drone in action. while it was only taking video you can see it take at least one shot in the vid. this was a quad rotor design and the video incredibly stable. get on yoube and search for Sequoia Airsoft uav jan 11 2013. Its a little more than a foot long on a side and carrying a single camera. Iimagine the larger version could carry more but I think you would have to get in the very large range ($1000s) to carry an aeg. I would suggest figuring out how much weight you want it to carry and go to an RC shop and give them the specs.

Something that hadnt occured to me, and possibly not to you either, is the environment you wil be using it in. The field in the vid is very wooded with great topography which, while great for combat, made it tricky and limited flight paths. The operator was incredible and got some great shots but was limited limited to the road and a few of the thinner places. Anything bigger would have been very limited in capacity for movement. I also imagine that it would be difficult to fly as well as shoot so you don't crash and burn. so perhaps a pilot and gunner would better suit your needs/wants.

still, its not carrying a heavy load its still impressive and gives a great view of Sequoia as well as some great action of the day and is worth a watch.

Yes by all means a quad, or a hex/octo is the way to go. A copter is too sensitive and just doesn't have the lifting power per unit mass, and simply too many failure points. With a modern quad and GPS hold, you can leave the controls, go off and do something else, and it will hover on its own. A hex/octo can lose a few blades and still fly or make a safe landing, the survivability is much better than a simpler quad.

I'm working on using a blade 350qx but that's just a camera drone, no gun or anything funny like that. It's too valuable to get low enough the point where people can shoot at it it or kite it down, I mean I don't want people taking potshots at a $500. drone or taking you out with a simple "Chinese/Dragon Kite". Plus a few hundred dollars of long range video gear (transmitter and receiver goggles). The ascent / descent is very rapid so being shot down during ascent/descent is not so much an issue. But I think the value of a drone is really more for scouting and overhead battlefield view, not so much shooting anything or engaging anything. In theory it's easier to drop something like a small device rather than shoot down or at something from a platform that isn't exactly steady and tends to vibrate a lot, even when using GPS hold or self-correction.

Also if the other team is using drones, there are a number of easy counter-measures like kites that can be flown into the props to take down or crash a drone. It's just a matter of getting the kite near the VTOL and above it, from there it gets sucked in. If you want something a little more showy, a 'killer drone' like a simple EDF flyer with a hardened front that can hit a drone kamikaze style and survive on its own -- there's plenty of options out there. But I've always favored the lower tech like simple kites -- they're portable and very usable.

if I see something like that flying around, im going to absolutely stop what im doing and shoot at it as will pretty much everybody else

Yeah hence the importance of a quick ascent and descent, the most dangerous time for a drone.

Once it's high enough in the air, the bb's aren't much of a threat due to gravity and air resistance. 400 feet (in altitude) is a pretty safe distance, and a 350qx can rise to that altitude pretty quickly.

Yeah hence the importance of a quick ascent and descent, the most dangerous time for a drone.

Once it's high enough in the air, the bb's aren't much of a threat due to gravity and air resistance. 400 feet (in altitude) is a pretty safe distance, and a 350qx can rise to that altitude pretty quickly.

how do you plan to shoot from there accuratel, much less have a camera system that can transmit well enough for you to see anything that you are shooting at from that high up or see anything at all. My dad is a professional photographer and his go-pro drone cost upwards of 4,000 after he got the stabilizer and a good enough camera and connections system that he can see basically anything from it

or you can use an airplane instead of a helicopter. The wingspan would have to be very large in order for it to generate enough lift. There are videos on youtube where two airplanes with wire frames covered in paper basically battle it out. you can protect all the delicate electronics. But if say the wing gets it, it doesn't really matter.

how do you plan to shoot from there accuratel, much less have a camera system that can transmit well enough for you to see anything that you are shooting at from that high up or see anything at all. My dad is a professional photographer and his go-pro drone cost upwards of 4,000 after he got the stabilizer and a good enough camera and connections system that he can see basically anything from it

Mine is for surveillance only, shooting something from that far away is a lost cause.

In theory maybe it could drop grenades or devices from up high, but that would probably be ruled out as unsafe. Except for things like retarded bombs, ie. grenades with small parachutes to slow the rate of descent and keep it safe.

It's not $4000. anymore, a good video link 5GHz, 200mW video link is $200. and a small bulletcam with 2 servos for pitch + yaw control is probably going to run another $200. or so. The 350qx comes with a mechanical stabilizer that helps cut down vibration.

Work in progress, if I ever finish it and use it in a game, I'll post some videos. Rate of ascent is very fast, with the monster thrust it has, it can rise to 400 feet in a matter of seconds.