sharxbyte

SB199: PASSED! Here's what CA Airsofters Need to do!

Airsofters of California (and other states who may be affected in the future):

Now that California Senate Bill 199 has passed the state legislature and been signed into law, you should know what that means. Below I will post the contents of the old thread (too late to do anything about it now, but it will put the thread into context) as well as (more importantly) the details that you need to know about mandatory changes.

The law requires that any airsoft guns you will be transferring, or transporting (among other things) have new markings added. For those of you outside CA, any airsoft weapons purchased from Evike, Airsoft GI, Airsplat, and other retailers will likely become compliant to CA law unless the businesses decide to move out of state.

The exact bill text is quoted below, and the bill in its entirety is linked above the quote.

In general, you'll need to paint or otherwise modify pistol grips on pistols, trigger guards on all airsoft guns, and 2 or more features on rifles to be fluorescent.

The law comes into effect Jan 1, 2016 and the (civil, not criminal) fines are HEFTY!

DO NOT BE CAUGHT WITH A NON-COMPLIANT GUN EVEN IF YOU ARE JUST VISITING CA!!!

https://leginfo.legi...=201320140SB199

(A) If the airsoft gun is configured as a handgun, in addition to the blaze orange ring on the barrel required by federal law, the airsoft gun has a trigger guard that has fluorescent coloration over the entire guard, and there is a two centimeter wide adhesive band around the circumference of the protruding pistol grip that has fluorescent coloration.
(B) If the airsoft gun is configured as a rifle or long gun, in addition to the blaze orange ring on the barrel required by federal law, the airsoft gun has a trigger guard that has fluorescent coloration over the entire guard, and there is a two centimeter wide adhesive band with fluorescent coloring around the circumference of any two of the following:

(I) The protruding pistol grip.
(ii) The buttstock.
(iii) A protruding ammunition magazine or clip.

I'll post the old thread below:

sharxbyte, on 14 Jan 2014 - 1:31 PM, said:snapback.png

http://leginfo.legis...earch_keywords=

This is another Kevin De Leon Gut-And-Amend

SB 199 is going to vote by the Public Safety Commission TODAY!!!
SB 199 will kill airsoft in all of California. It is too late to email so remember to CALL your representatives and voice your opinions. Tell them WHY you oppose it!
STOP SB 199 and Save Our Sport.

Here's a list of senators along with phone numbers to call:I just called them ALL and it only takes 5 minutes.
Loni Hancock * District: (510) 286-1333 * Capitol: 916 651 4009
Joel Anderson: * Phone: (916) 651-4036
El Cajon District Office * Phone: (619) 596-3136
Temecula District Office * Phone: 951-676-1020
Kevin de leon * Capitol Office: (916) 651-4022 * District Office: (213) 483-9300
Steve Knight * Capitol Office: (916) 651-4021
Carol Liu * Capitol Office: (916) 651-4025
Glendale District Office * Phone: (818) 409-0400
Satellite Office * Phone: (909) 599-7351
Holly Mitchell * Capitol Office: (916) 651-4026
Los Angeles Office * Phone: (213) 745-6656
Darrell Steinberg * Capitol Office: (916) 651-4006 * District Office: (916) 651-1529

Edited by airborne101

While this is happening in your State. Those of us outside of CA can only lend moral support. For we are NOT a constituent of any of your State Reps they...they will not listen to us. Nor should they, I wouldn't want my State Rep to listen to people outside of my State to pass laws.

If you are calling from outside of the states, call the 916 number.

They will take in opinions from out of states.

Senator Hancock and Knight are voting against it for sure lol

While this is happening in your State. Those of us outside of CA can only lend moral support. For we are NOT a constituent of any of your State Reps they...they will not listen to us. Nor should they, I wouldn't want my State Rep to listen to people outside of my State to pass laws.

Not true. You are affected because CA is where the majority of airsoft importers are located.

Don't tell me this is because that teenager in Sonoma was carrying an ak-47 in broad daylight?! Parents want someone to blame, here's a mirror...laws can't prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. Is there anyway to stop this thing from coming up again? Used to be every couple years it comes up, now every couple months...

Don't tell me this is because that teenager in Sonoma was carrying an ak-47 in broad daylight?! Parents want someone to blame, here's a mirror...laws can't prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. Is there anyway to stop this thing from coming up again? Used to be every couple years it comes up, now every couple months...

No, that may be the front he's working under, but DeLeon has had something out for Airsofters for years.

Edited by sharxbyte

Not true. You are affected because CA is where the majority of airsoft importers are located.

No..I am not affected.

I don't buy from domestic retailers often. Also in MN we have our own importer...Palco...from the evil Empire of Cybergun. Plus, two new small importers that also just sprang up. If CA fails and totally bans Airsoft...which is unlikely...guess where they are going to be sourced from now? Texas, Georgia and Minnesota...and maybe a couple other locations...so no worries...there will be Airsoft and the sky is not falling....except in California.

Edited by Guges Mk3

No..I am not affected.

I don't buy from domestic retailers often. Also in MN we have our own importer...Palco...from the evil Empire of Cybergun. Plus, two new small importers that also just sprang up. If CA fails and totally bans Airsoft...which is unlikely...guess where they are going to be sourced from now? Texas, Georgia and Minnesota...and maybe a couple other locations...so no worries...there will be Airsoft and the sky is not falling....except in California.

Yes, you are. If this bill passes, your customer base just got that much smaller. Also, I'm pretty sure your importers don't get container shipments from China/Hong Kong, where most of the airsoft guns/parts come from. So, if this passes, you can still get airsoft guns/parts. But most likely, you'll see higher prices across the board.

This is the scary part:

"Existing law generally prohibits anyone from purchasing, selling, manufacturing, shipping, transporting, distributing, or receiving an imitation firearm. A person is liable for a civil fine of not more than $10,000 for a violation of this prohibition. Existing law excludes BB devices from the definition of imitation firearm for these purposes."

Here's the proposed amendment:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/s...ded_sen_v98.htm

So... if im reading this right. Airsoft guns sold in CA/Or passing through CA will be deemed illegal Even if they have the federally mandated "orange tip", if they do not have 60% or more of its parts painted in accordance how the bill lays out?

Airsoft isn't compeletly getting killed.... Just getting UKARA ish Regulations, minus the liscencing for using Non Fabulous looking guns...

And lovely how all of that is Errated out so Its airsoft only, and not hitting the paintball industry.... Even though the Tawaiiwanse/philipeno's have showed its easier to covert a Paintball marker into a Bolt action shotgun, more so then trying it with an airsoft gun.

From the Lake County Record Bee

"Bill to Regulate Toy Guns Advances in CA Senate

SANTA ROSA, CA – Legislation authored by Senators Kevin De Leόn (D-Los Angeles) and Noreen Evans (D-Santa Rosa) to regulate the appearance of toy, imitation or “copycat” guns passed out of its first policy committee today with a 4-1 vote. In an effort to stem a reoccurring tragedy involving toys being mistaken for real firearms Senate Bill 199, the Imitation Firearm Safety Act, would amend California law to define what an imitation firearm is and what those imitations must look like to differentiate real guns from fake guns. Currently, toy guns such as airsoft and bb guns are not included in California’s legal definition of imitation weapons.

“Children want to play with toys,” said Senator Noreen Evans (D-Santa Rosa) a joint author of the legislation. “A toy should look like a toy and not a lethal weapon. Currently these copycat toys are manufactured to be virtually indistinguishable from real firearms. Toys should not get a child killed.”

Last October in Santa Rosa, 13-year-old Andy Lopez was tragically shot and killed by a Sheriff Deputy who believed the airsoft gun he was carrying was a real AK-47. In December, Senators De Leόn and Evans committed to introduce a bill to require all BB, pellet and airsoft guns to have their entire exterior surfaces painted a bright color.

“In a stressful situation where it’s a question of using deadly force, police officers are not going to be able to get close enough for a detailed inspection,” said Senator De Leόn. “These toy guns need some sort of marking that will make them harder to mistake for real firearms.”

A 1990 study commissioned by the Department of Justice found that there are more than 200 incidents per year in which imitation guns are mistaken for real firearms.

According to law enforcement, one of the primary dangers posed by imitation firearms is that such guns are used by children and young adults who may not comprehend the seriousness of displaying them around unsuspecting law enforcement officers or around other armed individuals. As a result, officers and community residents can find themselves in precarious situations when they are unable to distinguish imitation guns from handguns and assault weapons.

In a similar incident in 2010, a teenager was accidentally shot by the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) who misidentified the replica gun he was carrying. The teenager and two of his friends were playing that evening in the middle of a dark street shooting pellets at one another with fake handguns. When the two LAPD officers stopped to investigate, the boys ran away, but one produced a pellet gun that the LAPD officers mistook for a real handgun. A LAPD officer who feared for his life shot the teenager in self-defense. The pellet gun looked identical to a real gun and it even had the exact dimensions of a Beretta 92F.

As a result of this accidental shooting, SB 798 (De León) was introduced in 2011 in collaboration with Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck to require distinguishing colors on BB guns. This measure would have allowed law enforcement to effectively discriminate between imitation and real firearms. Though the measure failed passage in the Assembly Public Safety Committee, SB 1315 (De León) was signed by Governor Brown last year to allow cities within the County of Los Angeles to enact local ordinances more restrictive than state law regulating the manufacture, sale, possession, or use of any BB device, toy gun, or replica of a firearm that substantially similar to existing firearms (Statutes of 2012, Chapter 214).

State Senator Noreen Evans represents the Second Senatorial District, including all or portions of the Counties of Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino, Marin (caretaker), Napa, Solano and Sonoma. Senator Evans chairs the Senate Committee on Judiciary."

And lovely how all of that is Errated out so Its airsoft only, and not hitting the paintball industry.... Even though the Tawaiiwanse/philipeno's have showed its easier to covert a Paintball marker into a Bolt action shotgun, more so then trying it with an airsoft gun.

I can understand this, paintball is dying off and airsoft certainly isn't helping it as players migrate from one to the other for a number of reasons. If I were a legislator in the pocket of the paintball players or manufacturers, I'd be desperately trying to get something like this through since it might be the only thing able to save the sport. And if I were a manufacturer, I'd be trying to buy off legislators in as many states as possible to do something like this because it's obvious no changes are going to happen at the federal level.

But can this really happen? I mean you have several businesses like evike in california, as well as a lot of fields and other businesses; and airsoft has always been supported by law enforcement and military which is still pretty big in california. Once these big guys make their will known and start playing the political game, I really don't think there's enough money left in paintball to have parity at that level. I realize it's politics, I mean, anything can happen, but it's just not likely if this is something inspired from the paintball industry that they can win. It seems more like a desperate last gasp or a final attempt to make paintball relevant again, not something that could actually succeed.

Or far more likely that it is funded from/by someone/something else entirely. My analysis, IMO.

I hate articles like that, airsoft guns are not toys or playthings. A couple hundred people are killed every year with baseball bats, but we don't see any legal fallout or legislators trying to stop the sale of baseball bats or other large blunt objects. Stupidity with airsoft guns might result in a darwin award every few years, but that's it really.

Edited by Shutaro

Does painting toy guns a bright color even work? Do they seriously not see the possibility of actual gun toting gang bangers to paint their guns or get those zombie/barbie marketed ones? Stupid kids got themselves killed out of stupidity. Without airsoft they'll just find another way like licking a plugged toaster or sticking their heads in a microwave.

Does painting toy guns a bright color even work? Do they seriously not see the possibility of actual gun toting gang bangers to paint their guns or get those zombie/barbie marketed ones? Stupid kids got themselves killed out of stupidity. Without airsoft they'll just find another way like licking a plugged toaster or sticking their heads in a microwave.

They already have the hello kitty guns ie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBI8GylL2vU

Article 9 generally prohibits arms exports, or licensing unto thereof, but there are loopholes in the modern interpretation of the law. Plus the current PM as well as the LDP has stated their intention to reverse it in principle.

Whether officially licensed or not, these and other similar weapons are already out there. In Los Angeles as well as the surrounding area, the cops treat anything that looks like it could be a gun as a gun, as the gangs have tried several tactics like this in the past such as disguising real guns to look like nerf guns or other toys.

and as for the AK shooting, as I understand the information I heard (granted it was second hand) the pics the cops showed of the ak the kid was holding was in fact not the ak the kid was holding. they went out and found the most realistic one they could. further speculation is that it was indeed plastic and possibly transparent. I agree that it was the parents fault in this case. In all of the shootings and deaths there has never once, to my knowledge, been an avid airsofter involved. Its always some kid whos parents that bought them a 'toy.'

Edited by Buzzkill42

it does look like they have added paint ball (spot markers)back into the mix with this one, removing the 6mm max from the text. So maybe thete will be a big onflux of money from that sector again.....but probably only to have themselves removed again.

No, pretty sure at least, here is the text of the law.

(b) As used in Section 20165, “imitation firearm” does not include any of the following:

(1) A nonfiring collector’s replica that is historically significant, and is offered for sale in conjunction with a wall plaque or presentation case.

(2) A BB device. spot marker gun which expels a projectile that is greater than 10mm caliber.

(3) A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination

second part of (2), because paintballs are either .50 or .68 cal (12.7mm or more, >10mm).

"First Strike" rounds are .68 cal too if I remember correctly.

Also remember this is politics, underhanded things happen in committee all the time. But bills need to at least pass in the general assembly before they become law. I don't know if California is bicameral but if so it will also need to get through the statewide senate (which is always more difficult due to the higher representation of rural areas) and finally any differences resolved in a conference committee.

Yes, you are. If this bill passes, your customer base just got that much smaller. Also, I'm pretty sure your importers don't get container shipments from China/Hong Kong, where most of the airsoft guns/parts come from. So, if this passes, you can still get airsoft guns/parts. But most likely, you'll see higher prices across the board.

Actually, they do...Palco is not a small fish. Anything Cybergun....pretty much comes from Palco.

The lead tech recently had to go and make 7 Containers full of AEGs legal for US distribution by having to put hundred of orange tips on AEG's that shipped without them.

Hmmm... A guy here recently got arrested because he was a convicted felon and he painted his 9mm all the colors of the rainbow so he didn't get caught packin'... They think painting guns bright blue will help?

What they should do is play a fun game of "fall down a well".

Then again even if they don't, it doesn't affect me. I have places close to me, I'm good.

airsoft has always been supported by law enforcement and military which is still pretty big in california.

Unfortunately I don't think police or military will care about this. They color the guns, or at least parts of the guns, bright colors anyway usually to differentiate between real and training weapons, so they're not as affected by it.

Actually, they do...Palco is not a small fish. Anything Cybergun....pretty much comes from Palco.

The lead tech recently had to go and make 7 Containers full of AEGs legal for US distribution by having to put hundred of orange tips on AEG's that shipped without them.

I understand that palco is not small fish. They're huge. But their containers still have to come from somewhere, and my guess is that they come through CA. Maybe seattle, maybe east coast, but most likely CA. My point was that even though you're in MN, you'll still be affected (however small) by this law if it passes as it's currently amended.

It's moments like these where I seriously have to wonder if giving California back to Mexico would be such a bad idea (and considering I was BORN there, that's saying something).

It's moments like these where I seriously have to wonder if giving California back to Mexico would be such a bad idea (and considering I was BORN there, that's saying something).

Or... Uh... Hope an earthquake sends it into the ocean. Hell, let California be it's own country and leave the rest of America ALONE.

So, anybody know how this will affect games in California?! Or how about people who already own guns? Read an article that said this bill can kill airsoft for California overnight. Gi Evike?!

well, as long as you don't get caught with any airsoft guns you wont have to pay the $10,000 fine...per gun. One would assume you could just buy a can of krylon and paint your gun fun colors...but then so can criminals with real guns.......grrrrr... I HATE THE STUPID BILL!

Whhat?! Really?? What if they decide to raid a game?

You'd be f**ked. Games would practically cease to exist unless people want to play airsoft with bright pink guns all the time...

Thoughts on the bill plus some clarifications.

Edited by GAT SAA Soap

Soap, great summary of what the bill is and what it will do if it passes. I know a lot of people blow things out of proportion because they don't understand what is going on, but your video explains it quite well in no uncertain terms.

Wait... If they want the gun to be painted, why not buy an extra stock and rail covers, paint them pink, and put those on it on your way to the field, then just change them when you get there?