PCEN713

M14 Comparison

May I ask anyone’s opinions on the following M14 models?

CYMA:

-M14 $130

-M14 EBR (MK14 EBR Mod 1) $268

CA:

-M14 $210

G&P:

-M14 DMR (USMC DMR) $239 (on sale price)

G&G:

-M14 IWS $270

This is one of those “what gun should I get” questions. I am looking for a M14 that will accurately hit a target at 200+ feet, with minor upgrades. I plan to use most of the stock parts, and upgrade the spring, spring guide (if needed), get a 6.03mm TBB, and a one piece metal hop-up (if the stock hop-up is good enough, I might not replace it). Please note that I am NOT trying to build a DMR. I am just trying to increase the range and accuracy of a normal assault rifle so I can outrange most M4s, M16s, and AKs, while staying under the 425 FPS limit (best if it is around 400).

My budget is roughly $400 including the gun, upgrade parts, some extra magazines, and accessories/gear (gun bag, face mask, magazine pouches, etc.) As you can see… there isn't much money left to upgrade an expensive stock gun. Any suggestions?

Note: The reason why I chose the M14 platform over the AR platform was because a good quality M16/SR-25 is a bit expensive.

Edited by PCEN713

May I ask anyone’s opinions on the following M14 models?

CYMA:

-M14 $130

-M14 EBR (MK14 EBR Mod 1) $268

I don't want any chinese crap.

CYMA is a Chinese company. That said, they are not crap, and a Chinese brand should not be thrown out of the window because of it's nationality.

CYMA is a Chinese company. That said, they are not crap, and a Chinese brand should not be thrown out of the window because of it's nationality.

Sorry. I will remove that. All my current weapons are Taiwan manufactured, so I am kind of biased... This will be my first Chinese made gun, so I really do not know what to expect.

I have a G&G M14, and it is a great gun. The gun is not TM compatible, which works to your advantage and disadvantage. In my opinion (and apparently G&G's), the TM design is rather poor and G&G has solved some of these issues. However, this also means that the G&G is lacking some aftermarket support. Scope mounts, and magazines, namely, are expensive and (slightly) more difficult to find. Classic Army cloned their M14 from the G&G design, while CYMA, G&P, and other brands cloned TM.

Also, the G&P you mentioned is based off the USMC's M14 DMR, not an EBR.

I have a G&G M14, and it is a great gun. The gun is not TM compatible, which works to your advantage and disadvantage. In my opinion (and apparently G&G's), the TM design is rather poor and G&G has solved some of these issues. However, this also means that the G&G is lacking some aftermarket support. Scope mounts, and magazines, namely, are expensive and (slightly) more difficult to find. Classic Army cloned their M14 from the G&G design, while CYMA, G&P, and other brands cloned TM.

Also, the G&P you mentioned is based off the USMC's M14 DMR, not an EBR.

True. G&G M14s definitely need aftermarket support. A scope mount alone would cost you $60! The magazines are pretty expensive too. Is there a difference between the CA M14 and the G&G M14? I know for sure that the Classic Army version does not have a locking fire selector switch. There is a hefty $60 between the 2 models, and I am kind of budget tight.

And the G&P mistake was corrected. Thank's for pointing that out.

The CA M14 is a clone of the G&G. I do not have the CA M14, however I've heard that the internal quality isn't quite as good. I imagine looking at Classic Army M14 reviews could help you out. Keep in mind that they will have the same aftermarket support as the G&G.

A thing to keep in mind about the G&G is that when it first hit the market, it was pretty terrible. Early reviews are not good, however, newer reviews generally praise it. So if you're reading about G&G's, it couldn't hurt to take a look at the date of the posts.

EDIT: I think the First Generations came out around 2005.

Edited by conmanagc

the stock G&G barrel is already a tight bore. Not the highest quality tight bore, but I left mine stock when I built my DMR and it worked just fine. There really isn't a need for a new hop up since the G&G m14 hop up unit is mostly metal to begin with. Its also not a normal m14 hop up, its an aug style hop up. I really wouldn't run a stronger spring on stock G&G motor if you choose to go this route. It should do ok at best with probably some meh trigger response and ROF. Also wouldn't need a new spring guide since the stock one is metal and has a bearing-ish washer on it

I personally think that the G&G m14 is the best m14 model mainly because it was designed to be taken down sooooooooo much easier, and aside from the gearbox shell and I think the cylinder head(can't remember if it uses a v7 head or not), it uses v2/v3 parts. It also has some other nicer cosmetic features like a bolt catch that works, and just an overall better fit and finish, except for that heat shield. My god that thing is awful.

If you're on a budget, the cyma is great, but if you are upgrading it, a new spring guide would be necessary since the stock one sucks, and probably a new piston and piston head.