BCap

Newbie Here - Good Starter Gun?

I'm just getting started with airsoft, and before I purchase my first rifle, I'd like to get some input as to what brand I should get. I'd like to get something based on either the M4/M4A1 carbine, M16A2/A3/A4 assault rifle, or HK 416 assault rifle. Of course, it shouldn't be too expensive, and it should be something decent (I.e. not a piece of crap). Any suggestions? I'm also considering a sidearm - either an M1911, an M9, or a Jericho (mostly because Spike is a badass/good ergonomics). Any suggestions there?

Also also, what gear should I get when first starting out (goggles, etc.)? Can y'all recommend any good stuff that won't break the bank and will last a while?

JG M4/M16 is a good starter gun, but shoot too hot for CQB if that's what you plan on playing.

My personal recommendation is the G&G Combat Machines, of which there are many styles to pick from, and have a nicer plastic body than the JG. Also come in tan if you prefer. The blowback ones have no real advantage however.

I don't know you budget or how you define cheap, but if you afford a G&P, go for it.

You won't find a 416 short of the VFC, if you'd like to shell out that much money.

The only replica 941 pistol is a KWC CO2 one, which is not recommended at all. No parts available should you break it, and magazines will end up costing you more than the gun.

Again, this is based on your budget, but KJW 1911s are a good start (the KP07 is the single stack), I don't remember if they make an M9, since I don't like them, with their trigger spring issues.

I know someone will call me out for this, but the WE 1911 and M9 aren't horrible, and for the most part can take aftermarket parts. They also have more styles available to choose from.

I know someone will call me out for this, but the WE 1911 and M9 aren't horrible

You rang? I think you are the only person to ever have good experience with multiple WE guns. Are you working for them or something? :a-laugh:

On topic, what's your initial budget? There are billions(not being literal) of models to choose from that we could tell you about without giving us your budget.

As for gear, the most important thing you could buy is goggles/facemask. Nothing else is mandatory.

That may be true, but I'm not complaining about it

I wouldn't either. You're getting budget guns that aren't exploding on you. That's great for anybody.

AS FOR TEH TOPIC STARTER with $200 I would look at JG M4/M16s, they usually come with a battery and cost anywhere from $120-$200, and they come in plastic and metal bodies depending on what you buy. Remember though you will have to buy a smart charger or you will fry your battery. And that is not good.

Edited by Coyote98

WE is junk. Stay away from them.

First thing is forget the side arm. Likely you won't use it and you don't have the budget for one anyhow. Focus on quality essentials.

http://www.evike.com/products/36462 This M4 has pretty good internals and comes with battery, dummy charger, transverse hop-up (holds position much better), KAC style rear sight (best sight out there), foregrip, and two 300rd hi caps. Where these sportline models shine over JG is not only having better internals, but the externals are vastly better quality with nylon fiber plastic. In addition, some of the components such as that rear sight are from their proline (ex: that's a $50 rear sight).

http://www.evike.com/products/33217 Save your teeth. Required for indoor play.

http://www.evike.com/products/42041 Goggles

http://www.evike.com/products/35502 BBs.

Total is $199.00, use coupon FREESHIP for free shipping.

At this budget you don't have many options, but that's okay. There are other cheaper ways you could go with JG products, but for the $30 more you are spending, you will be much happier in the long run. Have fun

ETA: They also come in tan and at around 330FPS they will be good for outdoor or indoor play.

SC-AR-017-3L.jpg

Edited by GTAMOBSTER

What makes KAC style sights the best..?

Well in airsoft I guess it really doesn't matter so much although it's nice to get use to them, however in the firearms world they are just simple. Everything you need, nothing you don't. They are low profile, break less than any other folding sight, and you can quickly rotate the drum for a 400M shot. Just a great product with no real competition. Anyhow, like I said for airsoft it don't matter so much, but once you are just so used to using them, you don't want anything else. HK and FN make a similar sight now for their 417/417, MP7, and SCAR. Great sights for the same reasons.

Gear wise, most airsoft fields require a minimum of a paintball mask (for players under the age of 18) and goggles (for players over 18). Balaclava can help make face shots less painful. A vest is recommended, as they come in a variety of sizes and can fit most magazines. With a paintball mask on, helmets are sort of hard to wear. If you wear a paintball mask, I suggest to get a cap and put it on your head to serve as "head camouflage". Of course, an ACU/BDU/DCU is recommended as well. If you don't have the money to get an uniform, just wear regular green/tan colored clothing.

I was going to say a g&g combat machine, though clearly I was beaten to it. Anyway, as far as a sidearm goes, I (wait for the retaliation) recommend the P311 by crosman. I would use it because I don't know about your arena, but mine prohibits gas guns. Also, the P311 is the most basic reliable spring backup gun you'll be able to get that cheap. Actually its not, but in my experience I've found the most accessories for a spring pistol with the p311. Then again, I am a Newbie, soooo.

I'm also now considering getting a G36 (specifically a G36C or K). Any suggestions? I'm thinking an Umarex G36C.

Also, can anyone tell me if the Umarex HK 416 is any good (it's selling for $89.99 on SHORTY USA, and it weighs a mere 3 pounds)?

Hell no. The plastic gearbox will strip on you. It's better to invest in a full metal ACM gearbox weapon.

I'm just getting started with airsoft, and before I purchase my first rifle, I'd like to get some input as to what brand I should get. I'd like to get something based on either the M4/M4A1 carbine, M16A2/A3/A4 assault rifle, or HK 416 assault rifle. Of course, it shouldn't be too expensive, and it should be something decent (I.e. not a piece of crap). Any suggestions? I'm also considering a sidearm - either an M1911, an M9, or a Jericho (mostly because Spike is a badass/good ergonomics). Any suggestions there?

Also also, what gear should I get when first starting out (goggles, etc.)? Can y'all recommend any good stuff that won't break the bank and will last a while?

I HEAVILY reccomend the g&g combat machine m4 ris AEG, short for cqc, standard for field. Personally I've never had one, but I've been in the market for an AEG for quite a while, and I can tell you this is going to be the most beginner friendly bang for your buck gun. It also, being the m4 platform, is extremely easy to upgrade and find parts for.

I'm also now considering getting a G36 (specifically a G36C or K). Any suggestions? I'm thinking an Umarex G36C.

Also, can anyone tell me if the Umarex HK 416 is any good (it's selling for $89.99 on SHORTY USA, and it weighs a mere 3 pounds)?

As I said before, you don't have any options in terms of a good product. That $90 416 is a LPEG. You don't have the budget for a 416. They start at $400 just for the gun. Go with something like I recommended above or a G&G Combat machine as someone said (only reason I didn't recommend one of those is it doesn't fit in the $200 budget of yours with battery, goggles, and BBs). A lot of us were in your boat a decade ago and have pretty decent experiences and advice. ARES Sportline, G&G Combat Machines, and even CA sportlines will be better guns for you to start with as even if the internals go, you don't have cheap ABS plastic for externals like the JGs/Echo 1s.

ETA: Also avoid the full metal ACM/DBoys junk. The metal is the lowest potmetal you can find and will snap much faster than the nylon fiber found on the sportlines I mentioned.

Edited by GTAMOBSTER

The 416 has a plastic gearbox. If you want an affordable G36, get a JG. They are getting harder to find but they are amazing guns and can be upgraded to compete with high end guns no problem.

Their sportline models are nothing to get excited about, the only nice thing being the colt or armalite trades, but if that's what you want get one of those KA cqbrs for $170.

What do you mean KA? I know what CQBR stands for, but I'm at a loss for KA (unless it's Knight's Armaments).

KA is King Arms, yet another brand. And I think Lancer Tactical is supposed to have bleh internals, so I'd be wary.

Also, buy your stuff from stores like AirsoftGI and Evike, online or in-store if you're close. If you are on the east coast, Airsoft Atlanta is another good site.

Edited by Coyote98

What are some good M4/M16 mid-cap magazines that aren't too pricey? Also, a vertical foregrip, a red dot sight, and an ACOG would also be good (at some point, at least).

Focus on the essentials first. An ACOG is not essential unless its a must. Many of us get by with just iron sights. ACOGs are either red dot/green dot, or 4x magnification, some with RMRs, some with the illumination fiber. Lots of choices. A red dot ACOG is just a glorified red dot sight, many of which would be a better choice for CQB with better peripheral vision. T1, EoTech holographic, and even a regular open 1x33.

Forgrips are a dime a dozen, pick one you like. My personal choice is the Magpul RVG (ACM clones since a real one is pricey).

Magazines depend on the gun. For example, the Elite Force midcaps have troubles feeding in G&G Combat Machines, etc.

G&G 79rd (don't have feedback on the newer 120s), KWA 120s, G&P 130s, are all reliable midcaps. If youre just starting out and playing CQB, one hicap can get you through a few rounds depending on how much you pull the trigger.

At $200, as stated above just go for an AEG. I personally use GBBs a lot, but not everyone does.

Whoever recommended the Elite Force, forget that. "Nylon fiber" body is just a gimmick, its just plastic. Almost anything is better than JG plastic. Arguably G&G has the better plastic in the market, which I agree with.

G&P is a great brand, but you may need to stretch your budget to afford one. That, and they are wired to the buffer tube with deans.

ASGI has Combat Machine packages with a battery and smart charger for $168 (last time I checked). My vote is go with that, take the rest of your budget and buy googles, a mask, and any other gear you may need. If theres magically more room in your budget, then you can go knock yourself out with your attachments.

Any good makes of rails/replacement handguards that work with G&G that work within a budget?

G&G makes Combat Machines with rails, they are called G&G Raiders.

The M4A1 style is wired to the front, with the battery in the handguards. Adding a rail system requires the need for a PEQ box, or wiring the AEG to the rear.

The G&Gs use a real steel delta ring style, so any rail system will fit as long as it isnt TM or JG based.

If you want a monolithic rail system, the outer barrel will need to be replaced, as it is a different 2 piece design. The PEQ box is still required.

There is also a newer G&G Mk18 styled gun (not a "real" MK18), with a rail system, wired to a crane stock. They are a little more expensive, $180 I believe.

Pick the one you want, and buy a battery seperately. A smart charger is between $15 and $30, and I believe you can buy an Elite 9.6v off of Guges for something like $20.

G&G makes Combat Machines with rails, they are called G&G Raiders.

The M4A1 style is wired to the front, with the battery in the handguards. Adding a rail system requires the need for a PEQ box, or wiring the AEG to the rear.

The G&Gs use a real steel delta ring style, so any rail system will fit as long as it isnt TM or JG based.

If you want a monolithic rail system, the outer barrel will need to be replaced, as it is a different 2 piece design. The PEQ box is still required.

There is also a newer G&G Mk18 styled gun (not a "real" MK18), with a rail system, wired to a crane stock. They are a little more expensive, $180 I believe.

Pick the one you want, and buy a battery seperately. A smart charger is between $15 and $30, and I believe you can buy an Elite 9.6v off of Guges for something like $20.

I only want the rail system to add a foregrip, though... Is there any way to add a grip without needing the rails?

I only want the rail system to add a foregrip, though... Is there any way to add a grip without needing the rails?

They make rail segments that attach to the holes underneath the standard M4A1handguards. I have never personally used one, but it seems a nunchuck battery would be a better choice here since you may have the bolts underneath inside the handguard.

They make rail segments that attach to the holes underneath the standard M4A1handguards. I have never personally used one, but it seems a nunchuck battery would be a better choice here since you may have the bolts underneath inside the handguard.

Do most of the JG and G&G M4s have the holes underneath the standard handguards? If so, I think I may have found a grip that comes with a rail segment:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7975

Well, I've narrowed it down now to three finalists:

The JG all-metal M4A1

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5637

The G&G CQBR

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=10439

The G&G standard M4A1

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=12140

All of these do have holes on the top and bottom of the handguards for mounting accessory rails, right? I'd like to add a grip and (possibly) a laser at some point. Which of these three would y'all recommend?

Do most of the JG and G&G M4s have the holes underneath the standard handguards? If so, I think I may have found a grip that comes with a rail segment:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7975

Every M4A1 style gun will have the holes on the handguard. That set you linked will work.

Website reviews mean nothing, its often people who have owned the gun for all of 15 minutes and don't quite know what they are talking about.

The internals of that are the same as the $140 JG, the only difference being the metal body. JG bodies are really only pot metal, not fantastic quality.

Myself, I would prefer nicer G&G plastic to a pot metal body. They can often hold up to the same use but because of the material, they can flex as opposed to just cracking.

Every M4A1 style gun will have the holes on the handguard. That set you linked will work.

Website reviews mean nothing, its often people who have owned the gun for all of 15 minutes and don't quite know what they are talking about.

The internals of that are the same as the $140 JG, the only difference being the metal body. JG bodies are really only pot metal, not fantastic quality.

Myself, I would prefer nicer G&G plastic to a pot metal body. They can often hold up to the same use but because of the material, they can flex as opposed to just cracking.

So, think I should get the G&G CQBR or regular M4? I'm really torn between the two, since the CQBR seems so compact (and I'm only 5'3"), but the regular M4A1 isn't much longer and is what most soldiers today use.