Sign in to follow this  
carpdoctor

learning to shoot lefty

I have been a competative handgun shooter most of my adult life. USPSA and IPSC, I also enjoy longrange rifle shooting. I damaged my eye a few years ago and my vision is getting worse. I have decided to start the long process of shooting lefty. Normally, I would do this with dry fire practice and rimfire guns, but ammo to hard to come by these days.

Airsoft seems like a logical, affordable and FUN option. I have a 200 yard range at my home so having a place to shoot isn't a problem. I am a little overwhelmed at all the options. You guys have as many upgrades and options as we do on real guns. First, I want a semi auto rifle to start with. It needs to be reliable, accurate and have iron sites. If this turns out to be a helpful training aid, I will look into handguns.

Thanks for your help.

I live in eastern Iowa.

Edited by carpdoctor

I have been a competative handgun shooter most of my adult life. USPSA and IPSC, I also enjoy longrange rifle shooting. I damaged my eye a few years ago and my vision is getting worse. I have decided to start the long process of shooting lefty. Normally, I would do this with dry fire practice and rimfire guns, but ammo to hard to come by these days.

Airsoft seems like a logical, affordable and FUN option. I have a 200 yard range at my home so having a place to shoot isn't a problem. I am a little overwhelmed at all the options. You guys have as many upgrades and options as we do on real guns. First, I want a semi auto rifle to start with. It needs to be reliable, accurate and have iron sites. If this turns out to be a helpful training aid, I will look into handguns.

Thanks for your help.

I live in eastern Iowa.

The most realistic choice is a gas blowback rifle. However do to design, they are expensive, higher maintenance, and do to gas fluctuation are not ideal for longer range shots without tapping the magazines over to HPA.

All AEGs will have both a semi and automatic function. You can have the selector plate modded for semi only if you wish.

200yds is very far, you wont see 600ft shots from a 6mm BB. A nicely upgraded AEG will be able to reach about 250ft, varying.

Again, almost all AEGs will come with irons, whether you like them or not is personal opinion.

There are tons of options, but what platform are you looking at? Taking a swing at the fact that you own real steel firearms, logically replicating that firearm is... well ..logical.

Do you have an AR, AR10/SR25, AK/MagK, etc? that choice immediately narrows your decision.

Your budget is important as well. Make sure to factor in prices for BBs (not expensive, but still), batteries, and upgrades should you see them necessary.

If you're looking to spend a bit of money, a KWA would probably be great for you since it doesn't seem like you are going to be doing much upgrading. If you don't want to spend much, a G&G combat machinge, or cheaper jg model would be decent (assuming ar style). CYMA ak's are also good

Since your purpose is to develop skills for real steel, I too would echo the use of a gbbr. For one thing, manipulation of the bolt and that extra bit of recoil helps in simulation whereas on regular aegs its just down to changing mags. It's true that they do generally come out more costly, but there are good ones that don't necessarily break the bank, at least not if you go overboard with customization and accessories. Of these I would highly recommend the ff:

WE G39 (G36)

KJW/Tanio Koba M4

GHK G5

TM MP7

Learning to shoot lefty is more about form, muscle memory and eye trigger finger cordination. It feel weird shooting left handed, I want it to be second nature. So lowering the firearm, raising it to my anchor point, finding the target in the sites and trigger control is what matters.

The only way I know to do this is thousands and thousands of rounds down range, plus many hours of dry firing. From the looks of things going with a AR variant of some type seems logical.

I don't have any plans of upgrading, but who knows, I am a guy. We all know how that goes. I am open to suggestions. I have no problem spending $200 or $300. I a gun that will fit my needs, without over spending for things that I don't. If I can purchace one that fits my needs for $150 that is great also.

I don't know crap about these things, so it is difficult to pick a sinple gun that will fit my needs. A lot of places sell this stuff any suggections on someone to deal with?

Edited by carpdoctor

If it's just building muscle memory for weapon presentation and trigger control, you may can make do with a regular aeg or get snap caps for your real rifle. But you may also want to be familiar with safety checks and clearance/failure drills which you can only perform and only to a degree to more expensive aegs. On a gbb practicing for that isn't a problem being mechanically similar to their real counterparts.

Edit:

Yes, for the most part they can do 4" at 25 yards. Some of the better ones will shoot under an inch at that distance.

Edited by renegadecow

You can get G&P Gas GBBR and pretty much maintain them like a real AR.

Here is the look of a GBBR...internals...

5180644816_369463543e_b.jpg

BCG View

5180644816_369463543e_b.jpg

BCG locked back

4806075944_c0ddca2482_z.jpg

I think there are some Iowa Airsofter guys selling their GBBR's.

Try: www.airsoftia.com

If you have made up your mind that you want an AR platform, Your next decision would be Gas or electric powered. I can't help much with gas blow back rifles, as I have limited experience with them. The few I've had to deal with I found finicky, difficult to repair and hard to find parts for.

The electrics have two major versions, metal bodied and plastic bodied. The metal bodied have a more realistic weight then the plastic, but are more expensive generally. the plastic bodied guns are much lighter than their real steel versions, and on the whole are less expensive then the metal bodied guns. Stock internals are pretty much the same in both versions.Every major airsoft manufacturer makes an M4 or M16. If you have a real steel AR, it should not be too difficult to find an airsoft version.

Where to buy is the next question, start with the venders listed on this forum. If you find nothing there, type "M4 airsoft gun" into your search engine. several dozen results will pop up. Just do your research into the vender as well as the gun. A legitimate vender will lead to a happy buying experience and a good gun for your money.

If you have made up your mind that you want an AR platform, Your next decision would be Gas or electric powered. I can't help much with gas blow back rifles, as I have limited experience with them. The few I've had to deal with I found finicky, difficult to repair and hard to find parts for.

The electrics have two major versions, metal bodied and plastic bodied. The metal bodied have a more realistic weight then the plastic, but are more expensive generally. the plastic bodied guns are much lighter than their real steel versions, and on the whole are less expensive then the metal bodied guns. Stock internals are pretty much the same in both versions.Every major airsoft manufacturer makes an M4 or M16. If you have a real steel AR, it should not be too difficult to find an airsoft version.

Where to buy is the next question, start with the venders listed on this forum. If you find nothing there, type "M4 airsoft gun" into your search engine. several dozen results will pop up. Just do your research into the vender as well as the gun. A legitimate vender will lead to a happy buying experience and a good gun for your money.

Thanks for your input. I will probably go electric and plastic. You guys really use your airsoft guns, they have a hard life. Mine will not see that type of action.

Another good optionis a springer air rifle. I stay fresh on eye relief, trigger pull with springers due to the nature of its distinctive recoil.

I got a spring rifle thatit can only use .22 or higher spec scopes because it has destroyed typical air rifle ones. The bullet path is highly affected by the way the rifle is held and trigger pull. My first break barrel was of chinese brand, terrible rifle with very bad recoil. Anyone can be a marksman with a 500 dollar air rife. The trick is to get good grouping and have total control with a cheap one.