to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Big_K

~$250 Budget for Gun - Rifle for Field

Hey guys,

I did a lot of paintball and want to airsoft. I am looking to buy from airsplat, since I can then get another gun. So what I am looking is choosing a gun for fields.

I careless about looks, and more about performance... therefore good internals, and not a lot of tinkering. I want decent range and ROF... most of my fields locally in San Diego allow 380-420fps... so I assume I should go for a 380 FPS gun.

Which actual gun model? I don't even care, if it's AK or M4...

I was considering a Classic Army, G&G, KWA, or Echo1

Here is one I was looking at $260 http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-E1-AK-JP-75.htm

also should I be getting one that is LiPo ready? Does it matter?

as for the $1 gun, I was going to pick this up for CQB : Well R8 G3 A3 Electric Airsoft Rifle

Edited by Big_K

lipo ready: the majority of guns will take a 2 cell (7.4v) lipo no problems, its the 11.1v that'll kill you. Running a 9.6v NiMh is simpler and will give you satisfactory ROF.

Airsplat isnt exactly a fantastic retailer... Their $1 gun deal is clearing out old inventory. A Well G3 is nothing special. If you plan on playing both CQB and field, a 350FPS AEG will suit your needs all around. With a few upgrades, a rifle with a different barrel and hop up shooting at 350 is more beneficial that a stock rifle at 400.

Ergonomics are rather important in my opinion, and each gun model has its distinct differences. If you can decided between platforms, that'll make things easier.

At that price, you can find any G&P rifle you like, and depending your choice have some extra cash for extras. They are wired to deans (beneficial to most), so buying a deans battery or adapter is a must.

If you have no preference it is, like said, down to ergonomics. Also something that's not too big or too small is always a problem, some people don't like smaller guns like MP7s/UZIs.

I would be wary of Airshat, they are shady.

The gun you linked isn't too bad, although Echo 1 is a rebranding company so you can probably find the base company's version for less and it could work just as well(that looks kinda like a JG). If you like tacti-AKs, look at CYMA and Dboys guns, they are both within your budget and have lots of variants. There might be another brand that makes AKs in your budget but I don't know for sure.

Edited by Coyote98

Realize that FPS means absolutely nothing. Stock Tokyo Marui guns shoot 280 FPS, but can easily hit a 6" by 6" target at 150 ft. Most brands cannot even compare to that if you leave them stock. Go for accuracy and distance, with FPS coming last. What use is a fast shooting bullet if you cannot hit something?

MP5User hit the nail on the head with LiPos. The "LiPo Ready" thing is a marketing scam. Technically, any AEG can take a 7.4v LiPo. They are essentially equivalent to 9.6v NiMH. There are only a few guns capable of taking an 11.1v LiPo stock, and even then, they do not last that long without maintenance and care. That brand is KWA by the way. KWAs are great for your price range. They easily have the best stock performance, but they use proprietary parts. Thus, if you plan on upgrading your AEG, stay away from KWA unless you want to pay lots of money for KWA's proprietary upgrades.

If you have $250, go for something nice. G&G Proline (not sportline), KWA, Classic Army, King Arms, G&P, and VFC are great choices. Most of those are a bit above your budget, but they will definitely last you a long time.

Realize that M4s have a lot of aftermarket upgrades/accessories. Magazines, optics, rails, etc. are very easy to find for M4s.

Realize that FPS means absolutely nothing. Stock Tokyo Marui guns shoot 280 FPS, but can easily hit a 6" by 6" target at 150 ft. Most brands cannot even compare to that if you leave them stock. Go for accuracy and distance, with FPS coming last. What use is a fast shooting bullet if you cannot hit something?

MP5User hit the nail on the head with LiPos. The "LiPo Ready" thing is a marketing scam. Technically, any AEG can take a 7.4v LiPo. They are essentially equivalent to 9.6v NiMH. There are only a few guns capable of taking an 11.1v LiPo stock, and even then, they do not last that long without maintenance and care. That brand is KWA by the way. KWAs are great for your price range. They easily have the best stock performance, but they use proprietary parts. Thus, if you plan on upgrading your AEG, stay away from KWA unless you want to pay lots of money for KWA's proprietary upgrades.

If you have $250, go for something nice. G&G Proline (not sportline), KWA, Classic Army, King Arms, G&P, and VFC are great choices. Most of those are a bit above your budget, but they will definitely last you a long time.

Realize that M4s have a lot of aftermarket upgrades/accessories. Magazines, optics, rails, etc. are very easy to find for M4s.

I guess that's exactly what I am looking for, something with decent range/accuracy. So I figured FPS is where I should look.

I was looking at Tokyo Marui guns, since you mentioned them! Wow expensive :)

thank you all for the advice!!!

I will link a few guns that I am considering buying and getting approval because I am sure someone might point out a design flaw that might not be apparent, even though I throw the name of the gun into google and see what I get.

Here is one I liked

Classic Army AK47 Airsoft AEG Rifle Wood

Edited by Big_K

Tokyo Marui is the "grandfather" company of airsoft. They were the first airsoft company to exist and as a result, their products are expensive! However, you will never regret purchasing one. Their GBBs are probably the best performing GBB pistols on the market. Nevertheless, since they are limited to the 1J limit, I recommend other brands for AEGs.

Where did you find that gun? I cannot seem to find it. Could you post a link?

Tokyo Marui is the "grandfather" company of airsoft. They were the first airsoft company to exist and as a result, their products are expensive! However, you will never regret purchasing one. Their GBBs are probably the best performing GBB pistols on the market. Nevertheless, since they are limited to the 1J limit, I recommend other brands for AEGs.

Where did you find that gun? I cannot seem to find it. Could you post a link?

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERP-CA-AK-SAM7W.htm

my opinion based on a great performing stock gun in your price range that you wont have to mess with til something breaks

m4: kwa

mp5: g&g/umarex

ak: cyma vfc clones

g36: echo1 mtc3

aep: jg mac10 with cx lipo

that's a plastic sportline, inferior in internals and externals to cm.028

I would order somewhere besides airsplat, they don't have much selection in terms of Cyma/DBoys AKs (which is what fits your budget and isn't junk).

Will the cyma provide similar accuracy such as the TM? Or must one upgrade to achieve such results

my opinion based on a great performing stock gun in your price range that you wont have to mess with til something breaks

m4: kwa

mp5: g&g/umarex

ak: cyma vfc clones

g36: echo1 mtc3

aep: jg mac10 with cx lipo

KWA is only good if you keep it stock or use their proprietary upgrades. VFC now makes some good M4s, both externally and internally. ICS M4s have always been reliable, and G&P are great, but typically you only buy them for the externals.

ICS probably makes the best MP5s. Their MX5 series are a dream to shoot from what I've heard. I almost picked one up, but then went for the KRISS Vector instead.

KWA makes a G36 too! It's fairly good, but it's hard to find parts for it...

AEPs are pretty much worthless now a days for actual field use. They make nice wall-hangers though.

CYMA is one or two rungs from the bottom of the ladder. TM is probably the top of the ladder. Please do some more research. I love to help people with their questions, but it's considered courteous on airsoft forums to spend at least 15 minutes researching before posting a topic. If you had to ask if the CYMA was similar in accuracy to the TM, you clearly have done little to no researching.

Will the cyma provide similar accuracy such as the TM? Or must one upgrade to achieve such results

Nothing compares to Stock Japanese Hop-up...nothing.

Quality of "functioning" hop-up in out of the box AEG's.

From best to worst

Japanese Made Units

Taiwanese Made Units/Hong Kong Made Units

China Made Units

Edited by Guges Mk3

So what I've been looking at...

I was comparing guns using the airsplat "accuracy proven" spread, and trying to find something very accurate... is this wise, or should I not even bother?

I figured I will lean towards the AK's since I like how the real one feels

JG AK47 All Metal EBB (not sure if the blowback is necessary or helpful)

Cyma AK47 Full Metal

I did take a look at the ICS MP5... for some reason on the airsplat site, the most accurate one is on an 8 week backorder

ICS MP5 SD5 Electric Airsoft AEG Rifle

I won't buy from them, but I like their site for comparison reasons, based on their "accuracy proven" stuff, it's the most accurate gun I've found

ER-ICS-MP5SD5-1-TMB.jpg

ER-ICS-MP5SD5-1-TMB-8.jpg

TM internals win but you can replace everything that's not so good in the Cyma with high end aftermarket parts for less and have better externals.

This was my plan, get something a little lowerend... learn the ropes, and then upgrade the weak parts... or when they break.

Edited by Big_K

This is the smartest thing I have seen from a new player in ages...

Now you can finally shed out of your current form and become one with your inner being.

On topic, the accuracy thing they put up is bull I think. They did an "accuracy test" with another ICS gun and it had less accuracy than my brother's JG AK Beta that's missing the front end. Plus, at 65 feet, that grouping sucks. And it's high. I could throw a baby and match that accuracy.

For the AKs, I'd take the CYMA. They make really good AKs, though please link the one you found.

EBB is stupid, it's just the fake bolt going forward and back. On cheaper guns it isn't even good, you don't hear it or anything and it's just another thing to go wrong.

Edited by Coyote98

Now you can finally shed out of your current form and become one with your inner being.

On topic, the accuracy thing they put up is bull I think. They did an "accuracy test" with another ICS gun and it had less accuracy than my brother's JG AK Beta that's missing the front end. Plus, at 65 feet, that grouping sucks. And it's high. I could throw a baby and match that accuracy.

For the AKs, I'd take the CYMA. They make really good AKs, though please link the one you found.

EBB is stupid, it's just the fake bolt going forward and back. On cheaper guns it isn't even good, you don't hear it or anything and it's just another thing to go wrong.

I was looking at this CYMA http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-CYMA-CM031B.htm

The only upgrade I was considering out of the box, was a barrel and possibly a hop up, 6.01 but I don't know if I should bother yet!

I was looking at this CYMA http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-CYMA-CM031B.htm

The only upgrade I was considering out of the box, was a barrel and possibly a hop up, 6.01 but I don't know if I should bother yet!

VFC clone will be much better, I think airsplat has a cm.040b

which brings me back to the point of "why are you buying from airsplat"?

im going to give a strong +1 in agreement with the statements about the accuracy bs and the vfc clones

I think a lot of sites and people go with old information about chinese guns range and accuracy. the newer chinese guns and clones have range and accuracy that will surprise you like a b**ch slap if youre expecting them to be crap like a lot of people and info will tell you

I don't think you should even bother with buying a new hop up and a fancy tb right away ....or even at all. save yourself some money and just buy a quality bucking and an h-nub with a wide space between its end points

don't bother with any gun that is of the tm clone design. it is basically a dead design now. unrealistic take down, aluminum or pot metal receivers, screws showing, and theyre heavier.

the vfc clones have a much higher steel content with steel receivers and gas tubes, realistic take downs, and are compatible with certain real steel parts

ebb to me isnt really that big of a deal unless you got some weird system. the vfc style ak's with mechanical blowback can have their parts removed to disable them, and pneumatic blowbacks can have a standard cylinder put in them to disable the blowback.

its really not a big deal to work around the ebb parts if something goes wrong with them. they usually run on their own springs so that the bolt closes on its own. so if the blowback is broken and parts removed or you disable it then you still have a functioning gearbox and bolt/charging handle

personally I like blowback. its noisy and cool & it distracts me from the noise the gearbox makes when it cycles

im not going to disagree with anyone who says they don't like blowback because thats their opinion even though mine is different, but I don't think a gun having blowback should cause anyone to decide not to get it if its the gun they want when the blowback can be disabled

Edited by Zemanova