Sign in to follow this  
skrallex

Newbie - debating

I'd recommend the KWA KM4-RIS. I use it and absolutely love it. However, the only thing you can and should upgrade internally is the inner barrel. Even then, you could use it stock and get excellent accuracy and range. Throw in a nice MOSFET from BTC and you've got your self something reliable. However, they do tend to run in the high $200s to mid $300s. Replacing the bucking might also be worth it...

I currently have a KWA KM4-RIS upgraded with an AWS Raptor MOSFET and 6.01mm EdGI tightbore. I use an 11.1v LiPo and get a mid-20s ROF. I'm thinking of adding a Lonex 70 degree bucking, which is supposed to significantly improve the range and accuracy according to the KWA forums. I hate tinkering with my mechbox which is why I love KWA. I don't need to do any gearbox upgrading.

If you like mechbox work, I'd go for a G&P or VFC M4. Anything will do.

I've recommended the best brands. ICS, CA, KA, and the G&G Proline are also good brands.

I've heard some good things about Lonex. I don't know much, but they're something to look in to.

Don't get it. Any of the G&G Combat Machines are bad. When they were first released, Combat Machines were amazing, but they've significantly dropped in quality since then. Again, purchase a G&G Proline gun, but none of their low-end stuff.

To be honest, I'd recommend spending more money on the base gun. My first AEG was the AGM HK416. It cost me about $180 up front, and I ended up sinking about $100+ of upgrades into it. In the end, the gun cost me about $300. My KWA KM4-RIS was $340 and vastly outperformed my upgraded AGM, even though it was stock. If this is your first gun, and you're not sure if airsofting is for you, then purchase an ACM (All Chinese Made) gun. Every new airsofter should own one of those as their first. However, if you're certain that airsofting is for you or you've been in the sport a while, just put up the money for a good quality gun.

I don't think you've ever directly answered this question in your thread yet: Do you intend on upgrading the mechbox internals? If the answer is no, then go for KWA. If yes, purchase a VFC or G&P. The new VFC and G&P AEGs are significantly better internally than they were previously.

Also, don't use Evike. I've ordered from them and gotten decent service, but I'm always worried about the quality of the items or if they packed them correctly for shipping.

Also, IMHO, don't bother with blowback. Unless it's the ERG system, the pneumatic blowback seems to be one more thing to potentially break. If you really want blowback for realism, go for the ERGs or GBBRs.

Here are a couple G&Ps just under $300.

http://www.evike.com/products/23911/

http://www.evike.com/products/42403/

Edited by airsoftmatthias

I'm perfectly happy with my 25 RPS, 400 FPS KWA KM4-RIS. I don't care to create a high ROF build or a DMR. My primary works well as an all-around rifle. The stock KWA internals are more than capable of keeping up with what I have, so I don't need to worry about them. As I've said before, the only thing you really need to upgrade internally is the barrel, a MOSFET, and a bucking. The gearbox is fine by itself. If you don't care about upgrading the gearbox itself, I'd just go with the KWA.

The issue with upgrading the gearbox, is that KWA has "perfected" the airseal between the gearbox and the hop-up unit. Trying to put aftermarket nozzles, cylinders, or hop-up units inside a KWA will destroy this airseal and cause nothing but trouble. You can easily throw in a new gear set, but it would be a waste of money.

Yes, I'm referring to Gas Blowback Rifles (GBBRs).

I'm perfectly happy with my 25 RPS, 400 FPS KWA KM4-RIS. I don't care to create a high ROF build or a DMR. My primary works well as an all-around rifle. The stock KWA internals are more than capable of keeping up with what I have, so I don't need to worry about them. As I've said before, the only thing you really need to upgrade internally is the barrel, a MOSFET, and a bucking. The gearbox is fine by itself. If you don't care about upgrading the gearbox itself, I'd just go with the KWA.

The issue with upgrading the gearbox, is that KWA has "perfected" the airseal between the gearbox and the hop-up unit. Trying to put aftermarket nozzles, cylinders, or hop-up units inside a KWA will destroy this airseal and cause nothing but trouble. You can easily throw in a new gear set, but it would be a waste of money.

Yes, I'm referring to Gas Blowback Rifles (GBBRs).

Alright so I think I have it finally officially narrowed it down.

http://www.evike.com/products/32925/

Or

http://www.evike.com/products/39075/

Can you recommend any upgrades for either? Sorry for all the question or if I missed something you mentioned. I'm browsing while on three clock at work haha. Thanks for all the help.

The "Evike G&P" AEGs do not always have a G&P mechbox. Sometimes, Evike just uses the G&P body and throws in some cheap mechbox. I'd recommend an actual G&P AEG and not the Evike versions. As I've said before, don't purchase from Evike unless no one else has it in stock. They have a reputation for being misleading. ASGI usually has a coupon and "free" shipping for orders over $100.

Don't bother purchasing upgrades right now. Play with your gun as is for a little bit. If you are absolutely dead set on an upgrade, pick up a good tightbore barrel from Prometheus or PDI. The Madbull inner barrels aren't worth it if you're purchasing a KWA. Eventually, pick up a good MOSFET for your AEG. The BTC or Extreme Fire MOSFETs are great choices. The King Kong "plug in" MOSFETs are not real MOSFETs. A good bucking would also be worth it.

Also, purchase good ammo. I recommend Bioval. It doesn't matter how good your gun is if you use poor BBs.

Edited by airsoftmatthias

Surprised the cqr series wasn't mentioned here...

As for evike swapping gearboxes I suggest you back that accusation up. Not defending evike here but that relatively outrageous. I would love to see the proof, but having 7 g&p gearboxes to my name, 3 of which came out of evike g&ps I would seriously doubt it.