Sign in to follow this  
sniperx2s

neutralizing ethyl mercaptan.

Green gas is too expensive. At the local field, the problem is with the smell. If I can get rid of the smell of propane, I would be able to use cheap propane to fill up my gas mags.

1 Qt 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 Cup baking soda,1 teaspoon liquid soap

anyways, I found this for neutralizing ethyl mercaptan, which is the primary source of odor for propane. what would be the best way to deliver this into the gas mag? I'm assuming the same way silicone lube is applied?

Ok, so I decided to brush up on my organic chem and it looks like the reaction seems safe enough. From 2(C2H5SH) + H2O2 you get 2(C2H5)2S + 2(H20). MSDS doesn't turn up anything on the toxicity of diethyl disulfide so I guess it's safe, just don't go huffin on it like glue. But there's still the problem of introducing H2O2 into propane without messing up your seals.

I don't think so. The reaction is pretty straight up. I'm guessing the baking soda and soap is just to cover up the risidual stink in the vapor. Here's what you can do though, it's possible to transfer the contents of propane to green gas. If they smell it they will only see a can of green gas. If the site management is dumb enough not to know that propane = green gas then they'll never figure out the switch. That or put a car freshener around their necks.

how would one transfer propane into green gas tank?

also, the techs are also unaware that propane and green gas are the same thing. According to him, they are "similar, but not the same thing".

Freeze the Green gas tank.

warm up the propane tank. Hook the two together and let it flow.

You can't just shove the propane tank directly. First you get an adapter then make yourself a coupling for the two nozzles to meet. Simplest would be a plastic tube with an o-ring in between. And let me guess, they sell green gas on site? The only people denying green gas = propane are those wanting to make money out of it. This annoys the hell out of me. Why couldn't they just say "please buy our gas to help shoulder site upkeep" like decent human beings?