Sign in to follow this  
PCEN713

M16 Comparison

I've been wondering which brand makes the best M16 models. I know this question has probably been asked numerous times across many forums, but I want an updated response.

Currently comparing TM's M16A2, G&P's M16A3, G&G's TR16, CA's M15A4, and ICS' M16A3. Feel free to suggest others such as KWA, etc. I am looking at proline versions, not the sportline/plastic versions. Any input would be great :a-grin:

Best is relative. Some companies do stuff better than others, so you have to weight the pros and cons of each. It really isn't possible to say "this company is best" because no one will agree.

G&P's have the best externals in that group.

TM's have the best parts comparability, because they are the standard. However they have plastic bodies and multi-part barrels, which flex and creak.

ICS has the best quick change features and ease of disassemble. Unfortunately, they are somewhat proprietary.

CA and G&G are both middle of the ground on externals and internals.

Best is relative. Some companies do stuff better than others, so you have to weight the pros and cons of each. It really isn't possible to say "this company is best" because no one will agree.

G&P's have the best externals in that group.

TM's have the best parts comparability, because they are the standard. However they have plastic bodies and multi-part barrels, which flex and creak.

ICS has the best quick change features and ease of disassemble. Unfortunately, they are somewhat proprietary.

CA and G&G are both middle of the ground on externals and internals.

About the ICS M16A3… how is the external and internal quality? I heard from a friend that ICS AEGs tend to trip their stock pistons. Would you recommend an ICS M16 over a CA? These days, I don’t see many ICS M16s around on the market… but if I somehow find one, would the extra money be worth it?

airborne101 pretty much summed it up. What do you intend on using it for? Will you heavily upgrade it internally? What is your budget? Answering these questions will help us narrow down your choices.

About the ICS M16A3… how is the external and internal quality? I heard from a friend that ICS AEGs tend to trip their stock pistons. Would you recommend an ICS M16 over a CA? These days, I don’t see many ICS M16s around on the market… but if I somehow find one, would the extra money be worth it?

ICS has had their splitter mechbox on the market for about 9 years now...it has never caught on and that tells you a lot...

Only a fool would buy a TM M16. The M4's and short variants are tolerable, but the M16 is awful.

All of the other choices are solid, but have varying degrees of pros and cons. I believe Classic Army is a good brand, but lacks some of the extra 'realism' on the externals. I always used CA's and they never failed me for years of airsofting, very reliable.

G&P Has the best externals and I would probably suggest getting one, if you want to spend a bit more. I believe the CA M15's go for about 220 or so these days, which is not bad at all depending on your price range.

G&G is also solid and reliable, though I have no personal experience with them. ICS's are pretty decent but not very popular, nothing too special. The gearbox swaps could be useful if you had to change FPS limits often.