Sign in to follow this  
disciple013

Broken Stoner sight post repair?

I've been the proud owner of a G&P Stoner 63 for a few months now. I got it used from a member here, and the front sight post was damaged during shipping from poor packaging. Being aluminum, is it fixable? Anyone here have the ability to fix it or know someone who might?

Damage:

100_7994_zps7db72b66.jpg

You could weld it back on if you have access to someone who can weld with a MIG welder. Otherwise I would suggest using a little bit of JB Weld to "glue" it back on.

Ah, I should mention that the broken piece was lost in shipping. The post ripped a hole in the side of the box and the broken piece is no more.

I very much doubt it's aluminum. Most likely Zinc. In which case, no welder will dare touch that, even with a MIG/TIG. You can weld/braze a new ear on using low temp kits like Muggyweld or Lumiweld but the cost and effort will be prohibitive unless you know someone who already has it and can do it for you. Epoxy or JB Weld will work, but needs a good bit of surface area to make it sturdy. Another option is to have the front sight machined completely off and leave a dovetail for real M14/M1A front sights.