Sign in to follow this  
DoubleX

Attempt to fix cracked m4 receiver

Hello, I have an M4 lower receiver broke off at the buffer tube area, I am wondering if there are something stronger than jb weld, because in my experience jb weld doesn't stick very good with pewter metal which seems to be the metal used on this receiver. Because of the design that the buffer tube will be hanging from that part of the receiver, it is very likely it will be broken again if glued with jb weld.

Ahh the stuff did not work very well, it is very strong for sure but does not bond well with the metal on the receiver. At first it glue on tight but then I did a 3 inch drop test and it broke off again.

Putting pin on the receiver might help but I do not have dremel for these work.

I realize that these eproxy stuff doesn't actually bond well, they only bond when there is a lot of it. I am considering using a strong type of glue, maybe guerrilla glue, since glue are made for bonding materials in small amounts. Can anyone recommend any strong and permanent glue?

dude..... gorrilla glue is complete crap for what youre trying to do. ive seen it in action before. it foams up and dries looking like frothy snot. its not as good as its reputation would say

im assuming youre using a retractable stock...

if I were you I would either just buy a new mbk or disassemble & take a dremel and rough up the entire length of the receiver tube and as much of the inside of the buffer tube as my dremel could reach. then I would mix up that epoxy resin/jb weld, put the receiver tube back together and mold a lot of the jb weld/resin around it, then I would take some super glue and put a couple good drops of it between where it broke and the rear of the receiver, and then I would slide the buffer tube down onto it. the next day when the jb weld/resin was set up I would flow super glue down inside the buffer tube til it got between the inside of the buffer tube and the end of the receiver tube

permanently fixing the buffer tube onto the receiver tube is the best way to fix your situation that I can think

of course youd still want to use the buffer tube screw and washer when you reassemble

this is also assuming you have any of the tube sticking out from the rear or the receiver. if the entire tube broke off from the receiver I would pretty much say its a lost cause an get a new mbk. or if not already you could wire to the front and convert it into a stockless cqb gun

Edited by Zemanova

I like to use a technique I learned in woodshop, use wafers when gluing two pieces with little face area. For this, use a dremel cutoff wheel and cut small slots into the two faces to be glued, place a piece of hardened sheet steel in the slot and use a generous amount of JB Weld, when applied properly (Make sure you have a 50/50 mix) it should outlast the rest of the body.

epoxy will never be strong enough to hold that part together where it broke. You will have better luck with the solder, assuming you can get it to stick to the metal the receiver is made of. I've done similar repairs before, and sometimes the muggyweld stuff works great, sometimes it won't stick for squat.

Hello, yes the whole back side receiver broke off, I probably thought it was a lost cause too, but I would take my chances fixing it, and in the mean while find out what other epoxy or jb weld can do. The only reason I am even considering repairing this is because the receiver is special. Ambidextrous bolt catch, ambidex magazine release, and ambidex selector switch. Along side it has the awesome zombie killer trades. If it weren't broken I did throw it on one of my m4s in a heart beat.

<AT>Tomtortoise that method does sound promising, I suppose you want me to drill pins and connect the broken pieces together. That might work but it is very hard to do because I will have to make sure I drill both side of the broken pieces exactly at the same spot. Also when I install the buffer tube on it, the buffer tube screw pulls the receiver which in this situation only pulls the broken piece away from the receiver. I think that was one of the flaw that JB would not stick.

<AT>chibajoe welding would definitely work, but I would have to worry about other parts of receiver and be very careful about it, also it will destroy the paint, if not done correctly it might do more harm than good.

I am going to give a shot at the epoxy or jb weld stuff once again, this time I'm going to homedepot and see if anyone can help me find any epoxy that bonds with pot metal or zinc. This is probably the most effective and easiest way to get it done.