Sign in to follow this  
Daishain

Yet another new guy requesting advice

I am currently doing research, and beginning to put together a set of gear. I could use some advice on selecting a rifle and sidearm

I have little patience for poor quality, and so am looking to break straight into the intermediate level of gear.

No plastic construction, electric power, and (at least in the rifle's case) plenty of room to adjust/tinker/upgrade. The mass of the piece is not a significant factor in my case.

Designated marksman would be my preferred role, though rifleman would be a close second, with support and sniper jockeying for third.

These rifles

CYMA M14 EBR-S Airsoft Sniper AEG Rifle

JG SR25 Sniper Airsoft Rifle Metal 6652M

appear to be quite close to what I have in mind, but I would like both a second opinion and a few other options to compare.

Frankly, I am having some difficulty deciding what attributes would suit me best for the side arm. It is perhaps not quite as important, but I'm seeing a wide range of pricing and reviews, with little useful information on what prompts either.

I am currently doing research, and beginning to put together a set of gear. I could use some advice on selecting a rifle and sidearm

I have little patience for poor quality, and so am looking to break straight into the intermediate level of gear.

No plastic construction, electric power, and (at least in the rifle's case) plenty of room to adjust/tinker/upgrade. The mass of the piece is not a significant factor in my case.

Designated marksman would be my preferred role, though rifleman would be a close second, with support and sniper jockeying for third.

These rifles

CYMA M14 EBR-S Airsoft Sniper AEG Rifle

JG SR25 Sniper Airsoft Rifle Metal 6652M

appear to be quite close to what I have in mind, but I would like both a second opinion and a few other options to compare.

Frankly, I am having some difficulty deciding what attributes would suit me best for the side arm. It is perhaps not quite as important, but I'm seeing a wide range of pricing and reviews, with little useful information on what prompts either.

Intermediate level? Get Flyye/Pantac at the very least for "intermediate" gear.

Those will work fine. However, there are better choices out there. How much do you plan on spending?

Sidearm? I wouldn't bother picking one up straight away. I airsofted with an AEG for about 2-3 years before picking up a GBB pistol. TM, KJW, and KSC/KWA are good brands for pistols. WE is a good beginner/low intermediate brand.

Do not use a sidearm unless you're planning on going CQB. The only advantages a pistol can give you are its short barrel and ease of mobility. Out in the field, you'll have so much ammo that you'll never need to switch to a sidearm.

if he goes designated marksman like he says he might need one due to MED

Intermediate level? Get Flyye/Pantac at the very least for "intermediate" gear.

Those will work fine. However, there are better choices out there. How much do you plan on spending?

Sidearm? I wouldn't bother picking one up straight away. I airsofted with an AEG for about 2-3 years before picking up a GBB pistol. TM, KJW, and KSC/KWA are good brands for pistols. WE is a good beginner/low intermediate brand.

While I intend to upgrade and modify as I go along, for the moment the max budget I decided on for the rifle is $400, but I would prefer to remain in the $250-300 range unless convinced the extra cash is worth the gain.

As for the side arm, I would greatly prefer to remain useful regardless of the situation. A rifle configured for medium to long range engagements is likely to be of limited use if a team is clearing a building or otherwise engaging in limited visibility close quarters. Is switching to a pistol not considered by airsoft players to be a viable tactic in such a case?

Guest alberty
As for the side arm, I would greatly prefer to remain useful regardless of the situation. A rifle configured for medium to long range engagements is likely to be of limited use if a team is clearing a building or otherwise engaging in limited visibility close quarters. Is switching to a pistol not considered by airsoft players to be a viable tactic in such a case?

No, that's just one person's opinion. I think most of the airsoft community agrees that some kind of smaller secondary gun is useful for several reasons like you've mentioned throughout this thread. The rest of the community follow's that guy's thought that a sidearm is like a luxury, and is not essential if you are comfortable with your main gun.

- If you have a long gun, then switching to a smaller gun is helpful for small areas or different type of engagement

- If you have a high FPS gun, then sometimes it's required by the rules to use a gun shooting lower FPS when you face the enemy at a closer range

- If your primary gun is not working, then your secondary gun can let you continue shooting until your next decision about what to do about your primary gun

I did find another promising rifle

AEX Warfighter DMR

It appears to have almost everything I would like straight out of the box, at least prior to the phase where I start really tinkering, and every review I've seen has been glowing. Does it stand up to the hype in reality?

Also, is it often sold out? Deciding its the best DMR available doesn't help if I can't actually ever get my hands on it.

Edited by Daishain