Sign in to follow this  
need-a-bow

Combat Machine CM16 MOD0 Vs. CM18 MOD1

Ive narrowed down my search to these 2 guns for my first purchase. The third option I have thought of is the Javelin Airsoft Tactical AK but Im not sure as far as magazines fitting into mag pouches(gonna be running a chest rig). What would you guys suggest as far as the Combat Machines go? Or is the Javelin better as far as quality? Ill also be buying a pack of midcaps and not sure what brand goes best with these guns. Im open to any suggestions you guys have, as far as looks I like the Javelin AK over the rest but mags are my main concern in price and fit

May I suggest neither? Combat Machines are fine if you do not upgrade them. Javelins are also equally as bad, if not worse than Combat Machines. As for midcaps, look for either Elite Force or MAG.

Edited by airsoftmatthias

Guest alberty
Ive narrowed down my search to these 2 guns for my first purchase. The third option I have thought of is the Javelin Airsoft Tactical AK but Im not sure as far as magazines fitting into mag pouches(gonna be running a chest rig). What would you guys suggest as far as the Combat Machines go? Or is the Javelin better as far as quality? Ill also be buying a pack of midcaps and not sure what brand goes best with these guns. Im open to any suggestions you guys have, as far as looks I like the Javelin AK over the rest but mags are my main concern in price and fit

Between the CM16 MOD0 and the CM18 MOD1, I would recommend the CM18 MOD1 because it comes with all of that rail space for attachments and the crane stock setup gives you an easier time with batteries and disassembly.

Also, I have noticed that the CM18 MOD1 seems to have the functional charging handle for opening the dust cover and pulling back a fake bolt for hop-up adjustment. I don't know if the CM16 MOD0 has that feature; from the manual, it looks like it has the non-functional charging handle like the old Combat Machine style.

References: http://www.guay2.com/web/manual/CM18_MOD1_Manual.pdf and http://www.guay2.com/web/manual/CM16_MOD0_manual.pdf

The Combat Machine M4 series from G&G is okay for a beginner and they're compatible with most aftermarket internal parts. It is fine to buy.

I don't recommend Javelin AEGs (they're rebranded APS guns) because of certain proprietary parts in them. There's the electric blowback system that creates some proprietary parts already, and I think internally there's some non-TM-spec parts.

This matters because if something breaks in your Javelin/APS AEG, you could possibly be stuck if you can't find the proprietary OEM replacement.

What would you guys suggest for a beginner? Ive set a budget of about $270 for my initial set up with spare mags and slowly upgrade from there. Will be playong field and CQB with this gun, 400fps limit on my field

The potential problem with your budget and your plan is that upgrading a gun properly requires a fairly decent platform to start off with.

I am not trying to say that it cannot be done with your budget, just that many cheaper models will never work well, almost no matter what kind of expensive part upgrades you throw at it later on. In fact, many common upgrades can destroy a cheap gun unless you replace other parts as well. So you need to tread carefully here.

One common approach is to buy a really cheap but decently performing gun, use it and abuse it until it literally falls apart on you, and save up for a high end platform in the meantime.

If you don't want to mess with that, there are some good quality platforms that are well suited for beginners within reach of your budget. One of the better ones that I've seen would be the Warfighter AX by airsoft extreme. http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....roducts_id=7518 Among other things, it comes with some of the better performance upgrades preinstalled. The package is $280, but comes with a spare mag and a few other extra items you would likely be buying anyways.

Edited by Daishain

As I always say...Do Not Upgrade or mess with any AEG if you are a new player or this is your only AEG.

Upgrades are not like video games where you put in Part A you get improvement Variable 32. Your AEG is a system and putting a part in wrong will degrade it's performance or cause some damage.

I suggest upgrades only after 10 play sessions. That way you can tune it to YOUR play style and not someone else's play style.

Edited by Guges Mk3

One thing, a metal body isnt a requirement on this gun. I mainly want something I can run with without having feed issues or poor accuracy. Eventually I might build it up with high end parts, but for now itll mostly stock for a while, just for weekend games at the local paintball field (sunday is airsoft day)

I jist saw the Elite Force ARX160 competition and blowback versions. Anybody have experience with these? The body looks Awesome on it, only concern is whether it is durable and whether the internals are compatible/upgradeable

Edited by need-a-bow

The KWA CQR series are quite good for the money. They use the KWA 2GX gearbox, but have a polymer/metal receiver instead of the metal receivers used in the normal KWAs.

They have excellent stock performance, and their ranges can be increased substantially by replacing the stock bucking with a Lonex 70deg or G&G green. Check out the KWA forums for info on that.

However, they have some quirks. The air nozzle/cylinder head/hop-up unit were designed for use with only each other, so replacing one without replacing the others can mess up your compression. Also, certain upgrade parts do not work well with them. For example, the longer-than-normal KWA sector teeth do not mesh well with Lonex red pistons but work fine with Lonex blue pistons. Nevertheless, they are excellent platforms for the price. Definitely the best sub-$200 M4 out there.

Guest alberty
Also, how is the KWA CQR Mod 1? I see they have a nice package with these at airsoft GI. It seems like a good deal, if the ARX isnt a good option

I saw you mention earlier something about being able to mod it in the future, if correct then I would recommend not getting a KWA.

Although the KWA AEGs are decent, they have a few proprietary parts so that limits certain upgrades or restricts parts available for replacements. Of course, if you can be sure not to damage or ruin any of the proprietary parts, then you could replace most of the typical internals such as the gear, piston, and motor.

In my opinion I would go with something more TM-spec to make sure I don't run into compatibility issues with most aftermarket parts.

I saw you mention earlier something about being able to mod it in the future, if correct then I would recommend not getting a KWA.

Although the KWA AEGs are decent, they have a few proprietary parts so that limits certain upgrades or restricts parts available for replacements. Of course, if you can be sure not to damage or ruin any of the proprietary parts, then you could replace most of the typical internals such as the gear, piston, and motor.

In my opinion I would go with something more TM-spec to make sure I don't run into compatibility issues with most aftermarket parts.

KWAs do not have any proprietary parts, if I remember correctly. The only thing that might be considered proprietary, except for the gearbox and receiver, is the spring guide, which is actually a V3 rather than a normal V2.

The normal KWAs are definitely not worth the money, particularly when guns with better externals and equal internal performances can be purchased for the same price. However, the CQR series are definitely worthwhile.

KWAs do not have any proprietary parts, if I remember correctly. The only thing that might be considered proprietary, except for the gearbox and receiver, is the spring guide, which is actually a V3 rather than a normal V2.

The normal KWAs are definitely not worth the money, particularly when guns with better externals and equal internal performances can be purchased for the same price. However, the CQR series are definitely worthwhile.

KWA M4 Nozzle and hop-up is proprietary in design. You can however change them out to something else.

Guest alberty

There are a few, and they're related to each other. For example, the stock air nozzle and hop-up unit are proprietary and match each other. The hop-up unit they use is a 2-piece style, so the body they use is the split-style like the old TM, and the lower receiver has the specific section that contains the lower half of the two-piece hop-up unit. You could possibly change out the air nozzle in the gearbox and the hop-up unit, but you'd need to make sure the body can accommodate a hop-up unit change.

The gearbox shell is proprietary, although it could possibly be replaced with another shell. The front of the shell is designed a little differently, so it might not fit into certain upper receivers without modification. Matching that, the upper receiver might be proprietary, to match the size of the specific gearbox shell. Also the upper receiver has the hanging tabs, like the old TM design.

So if you don't plan on changing parts related to those parts, then sure you'd be fine.

Edited by alberty

Solid compared to what? Cheese? Most definitely...Siegetek gears...hahaha...no.

As compared to say combat machine externals. One thing I hate is a wobbly sight on a gun. Id rather have a lower rof and upgrade motor/battery than have a fast shooting gun that can shoot straight

As compared to say combat machine externals. One thing I hate is a wobbly sight on a gun. Id rather have a lower rof and upgrade motor/battery than have a fast shooting gun that can shoot straight

I don't completely understand your last sentence.

Yes, the KWA CQR externals are fairly solid. They are as nice, if not a little nicer, than the Combat Machine externals IMHO. Both are made of plastic, though the upper receiver on KWA CQRs is made of metal.

I don't completely understand your last sentence.

Yes, the KWA CQR externals are fairly solid. They are as nice, if not a little nicer, than the Combat Machine externals IMHO. Both are made of plastic, though the upper receiver on KWA CQRs is made of metal.

Sorry I hit send too soon. I meant to say accuracy is important to me more than ROF as I can upgrade that later.

Also, how are Matrix guns? I saw Evike has their Proline M4 for 180 I believe. It looks like a nice solid gun, would only swap front hand guard.

And any word on the ARX 160?

Sorry I hit send too soon. I meant to say accuracy is important to me more than ROF as I can upgrade that later.

Also, how are Matrix guns? I saw Evike has their Proline M4 for 180 I believe. It looks like a nice solid gun, would only swap front hand guard.

Looks are deceiving...

Don't get any of the Matrix stuff from Evike. In fact, don't get anything that can only be found on Evike. Evike likes to sell cheap stuff, rebrand it under their "Matrix" line, and sell it to unwitting new players. AirsoftGI also does this with their "G4 line" but their "FMG4" line is actually really good (rebranded Lonex).

Get something that has been tried and tested. If you really want the Combat Machines, get them. Just realize that the internals aren't that great. KWA CQR internals are a bit better. Lonex even more. VFC and G&P are great, but they are also much more expensive.

Not all of Evike's exclusive stuff is terrible. They've got some good AK receivers, and they're the only ones with a reasonable selection of G&P products.

But Matrix tends to be lower-mid quality stuff. Not sure about their Angel Custom stuff, apparently there are some issues with their SR-47 receiver, with the pin holes being slightly too small and slightly out of place for the trigger guard, but I still plan to buy one of their sr47 mags.

But yeah unless it's a simple part the store brand stuff tends to just be lower quality than the cost can justify.

Are CYMA AKs decent out of the box? I see the CM 035A AK74u on sale. I wouldnt mind buying a gun and throwing in some parts in to it (that wouldnt require tuning). Barrel length is a concern but overall quality is my main concern. I was reading reviews and read that the KWA CQR had wobbly front sights, don't mind plastic bodies. My first choice was. JG G36c but I canr find them, I remember using one a couple years ago and it waa a great deal at around $130. Seemed like a great deal, only considered getting the magwell conversion, as M4mags are so easy to find

Airsplat still has the JG G36. $145 for it. They still carry a few guns that the other retailers no longer have. Just haven't sold through their back lot of them, I s'pose. Like, Double Eagle made a UMP for a few years, but got shut down when Umarex got the HK license. Airsplat's still got 'em in stock. Not as good a deal as when the other stores were dumping their stock, though. Saw a video from 6 months ago, Airsoft Megastore was just throwing the things out for $100.

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-JG-G36C-638.htm

Cyma AKs are definitely excellent choices for your budget. JGs are also great. The Echo1 MTC and XCR are also decent.

What I like about these guns is they come with batteries, all look different from your run of the mill M4, and they seem to all be withun budget. Performance wise, how would you guys rank them? I do like accuracy, the AK would probably get a red dot sight right off the bat(accepting suggestions on that), I like the iron sights on the JG, not sure where these guns stand as far as performance though.

Well, the G36 and AK are almost the same internally, with the G36 having a different shaped hopup because the magwell isn't in the same place. XCR is just an M4 on the inside. If you wanted a G36, I personally like the stock internals on the Echo1 more. Even though their guns are rebrands of other companies, the ones that they're the only importer of, like their XCR and MTC, they have their versions made with some different parts. Like, they advertise they have madbull hopup buckings. If nothing else, that means better consistency in the product, fewer lemons.

With any of the guns, though, it's possible to end up with just a bad part. Really, go with the gun you like the looks of. Just make sure to pick one that you like. It's like when you're learning guitar. If looking at it doesn't make you want to hold it, how often are you going to pick it up? If you can, go to an airsoft store, see how the guns feel. I went out to one yesterday, got the idea right out of my head about buying an AK, at least as my first gun. Looks nice, love the V3 gearbox, don't particularly like how the stock feels when I'm holding the gun.

I think im going to pick up the AK since its only $82, plus a hi cap, 9.6v battery and a few thousand bbs. Although I am also considering buying a second gun at the same time, this one for field (doubt the AK would be any good at anything but field). Which bringa that G36c and MTC 2 back into consideration. I don't like G36 Mags, M4 mags are almost a must due to cost. Would the MTC 2 be a worthy, low risk buy?

EDIT: I just saw the Elite Force ARX 160 back in Stock at ASGI.com. here is where MY AK will come from, and id like to order all together. The price seems right, with both guns and accessories (chest rig, BBs, spare hi caps, glasses) I should be around $300

Edited by need-a-bow

Whatever gun you buy for CQB stuff, you might need a softer spring. The ARX says 340-350, but Airsoft GI will chrono your gun and send you a note with it, telling you what it's actually shooting at. If it's over 355, you'll need a softer spring for indoor stuff. One option, if you wanted to make spring changes easier, would be the Tavor. Also uses m4 mags, costs $10 more, and you could change the spring on it without voiding your warranty. Doesn't have the best quality externals, but neither does the ARX.

I'd suggest the APS UAR instead of the TAR, but Airsoft GI sells it for $35 more than anyone else for some reason. Oh, and the Sportline G36 on ASGI has a quick change spring, too. Doesn't take M4 mags, though. And Airsoft Megastore sells the magwell conversion for $18, along with offering less expensive magazines than ASGI. So you could buy your gun there and then stock up on cheap m4 and AK mags from ASM, with the magwell conversion.

If you wanted to save money on mags, you could get a second AK and just make the less accurate of the two your indoor gun. Like, you could get one with wood handguard, one with poly, so you could tell them apart at a glance.

Ultimately, though, get what you like. If things go wrong down the line, you can fix 90% of problems in an AEG with a few allen wrenches and a screwdriver. I mean, I could hand you a $500 M4, but if you didn't like the M4, you'd probably take a $120 Cyma AK instead.

If the post seems somewhat disjointed, it's because I took half an hour of looking around at various stores and doing a couple google searches, and didn't type it in the order you're reading it in.

Well I went with just the AK, plus 2 high caps, a chest rig, 9.6V intelect battery, sling, bbs and face protection. Now I have to find midcaps for it, and slowly find s field gun since I like long range shots but this will do for now. Any adcice on midcaps? And any upgrades I should maybe consider soon?