to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
ManDude

(Almost) Complete newbie

Hello everyone,

I got a spring pistol about a year ago, and decided I liked the hobby and want to get another gun. However, I am kind of clueless when it comes to Airsoft :a-confused: . I'm looking for an M4 AEG, but I'm open to other options, and I want to keep it under $150, preferably $100 so I have some room for upgrades. I'm thinking about CQB, so it would probably need to be under 350 FPS. Semi and full auto, no question, and I wont need a charger, However I will need a battery(ies) but I'd be willing to buy that/them separately. One caught my eye from another thread, it's a JG M4A1. I was really excited because it fitted my needs (and wants) almost perfectly.

Is this a good starter gun? If not, what would you suggest?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...oducts_id=16155

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I got a spring pistol about a year ago, and decided I liked the hobby and want to get another gun. However, I am kind of clueless when it comes to Airsoft :a-confused: . I'm looking for an M4 AEG, but I'm open to other options, and I want to keep it under $150, preferably $100 so I have some room for upgrades. I'm thinking about CQB, so it would probably need to be under 350 FPS. Semi and full auto, no question, and I wont need a charger, However I will need a battery(ies) but I'd be willing to buy that/them separately. One caught my eye from another thread, it's a JG M4A1. I was really excited because it fitted my needs (and wants) almost perfectly.

Is this a good starter gun? If not, what would you suggest?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...oducts_id=16155

Thanks

JG makes good starter guns for the price range you mention, their M4A1 included. However, if you are indeed going for CQB, I would suggest looking into the JG G36 as an alternative. Similar technical performance, but a bit more well physically suited for the game type, and a little more unique. In fact, I believe one of the sellers on this site is looking to offload a few used G36s for about $70 each if you don't mind your first gun having a little wear on it already

That stated, don't expect any AEG in your stated price range to have exceptional performance. You will be at a technical disadvantage compared to some other players, especially if you try to go for field. Don't let that dissuade you, since personal skill and planning are the more important factors, especially in CQB, I just feel that you should be aware.

One more thing. I suggest that you do not simply go out and buy a gun right away. Instead, find a field in your area that does rentals. Head out there, actually get your hands on these things, and play with them for a while. You should get a much better feel for both what you want and what you need out of your gun.

Edited by Daishain

Most rental guns are sorry excuses for AEGs.

JG is a good choice, but the FPS will be around 400, so youll be over the CQB limit, but not hard to deal with.

G&G Combat Machines, 140.00ish and run well. Very robust for the price, and there are battery and smart charger packages for 168.00 last time I checked.

Explain to me why a G36 is "more suited to his game type"? OP requested an M4. Also, style doesnt have as much to do with CQB tactics as the person themself does. Go with what you like, and learn to use it. THat being said, there are different barrel lengths in the AR platform available.

If you can bump your budget, and prefer to keep things stock in the GB, the KWA CQR is a choice to consider.

Explain to me why a G36 is "more suited to his game type"? OP requested an M4. Also, style doesnt have as much to do with CQB tactics as the person themself does. Go with what you like, and learn to use it. THat being said, there are different barrel lengths in the AR platform available.

Just a little easier to manuever in close quarters. I'm also a fan of form following function, but that is less important. The G36 is also a model that JG is known for having made well. It was simply a suggestion to think about for someone who admitted to not quite knowing what he wants. It isn't as if I told him the M4 was a bad idea.

Also, yes, rentals tend to be pieces of junk, but they will let you get an idea of how one style or another fits. How long a barrel a person is comfortable handling, general weight and weight distribution, etc.

Edited by Daishain

and there are battery and smart charger packages for 168.00 last time I checked.

I don't know exactly what type of charger/batteries you are getting, but coming from the RC (car) world, the airsoft dealers are ripping you guys off. Example:

This Modify battery is $58.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=9971

This SkyLipo battery is the exact same thing, except it has more capacity, and its 15 bucks!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1600-3s1p-30c-3333.html

Now, I know you guys are probably thinking, what in the world is SkyLipo? But, I assure you guys, they make quality batteries, that I have experience with. So, the only thing that would hold you or me back from getting this is, the size, and the connectors. So, I'm not sure what size the batteries they use in the Airsoft world, but if it's all the same size, then things just got a lot easier for you guys. And for the connectors, all you need to do is solder different connectors on or buy an adapter.

I don't know exactly what type of charger/batteries you are getting, but coming from the RC (car) world, the airsoft dealers are ripping you guys off. Example:

This Modify battery is $58.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=9971

This SkyLipo battery is the exact same thing, except it has more capacity, and its 15 bucks!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1600-3s1p-30c-3333.html

Now, I know you guys are probably thinking, what in the world is SkyLipo? But, I assure you guys, they make quality batteries, that I have experience with. So, the only thing that would hold you or me back from getting this is, the size, and the connectors. So, I'm not sure what size the batteries they use in the Airsoft world, but if it's all the same size, then things just got a lot easier for you guys. And for the connectors, all you need to do is solder different connectors on or buy an adapter.

We know, or at least some of us know.

Problem is that the battery compartments in these guns tend to be small and awkwardly shaped. This makes sense in many cases, but for some reason, even when there is plenty of volume available to fit a spacious battery into a frame, only that small space is left open. In any event, in order to use the batteries from the companies not trying to price gouge us, we usually have to either modify the gun in question and/or carry the battery on the outside, usually either in a bag or a fake PEQ box. And not everyone is willing to do so for one reason or another.

Case in point, I saw a high discharge 9.6V LiFePO4 battery with a 15 Ah capacity the other day priced for about $60 That's a third of the cost for three times the storage capacity of some of the best airsoft LiPos out there, and you get a high reliability factor to boot. Issue is that its a very long and thick cylinder. Kind of tough to fit it into anything people are going to want to carry on the field.

Edited by Daishain

Most rental guns are sorry excuses for AEGs.

JG is a good choice, but the FPS will be around 400, so youll be over the CQB limit, but not hard to deal with.

G&G Combat Machines, 140.00ish and run well. Very robust for the price, and there are battery and smart charger packages for 168.00 last time I checked.

If you can bump your budget, and prefer to keep things stock in the GB, the KWA CQR is a choice to consider.

That battery is about the size of an 7 cell mini pack. But, I would not run that in a stock AEG without mechanical and electrical preparations.

Also...SKY Lipo are a tad lower on usable volatage. Not a big deal. Most of their packs come in at ~4.1V per cell under load while a similar pack sold at Hobbypartz, the GensAce is at ~4.2V per cell. I would take the extra capacity of their 2650mah packs at the loss of .1v per cell versus a GA pack at 2200mah.

Well, at least we have thunder chargers. Also, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I cant seem to find the page with the G-36's. would you mind putting like a link or something?

Huh, I can't find it either. Well, not to leave you completely empty handed:

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/FS-10-AE...tt-t286116.html

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/WTS-M14-...-n-t285121.html

Higher price than I mentioned before, but also in better condition.