Sign in to follow this  
sythenix

AEG and Mag Maintenance

I couldn't find the right place to post so I hope this is fine. I have a echo 1 mp5 AEG and I was wandering how to clean it? I also was wondering how to clean the mags, I have two hi caps and the rest are mid caps, so what needs to be done if anything to the mags to keep them working fine. On YouTube alot of people say use silicone oil, some say don't because it could ruin the gun. So what do I do to clean both the guns and mags, any cleaning tips for AEG's and mags would be helpful im just confused. Also how often should I clean the gun a mags?

Guest alberty

For an AEG, you typically just want to clean the inner barrel once in a while.

For AEG magazines, I don't see a very big need for cleaning the magazines, if anything it's usually a mechanical failure or wear that stops your feeding instead of them just being dirty. It's pretty easy to take apart and reassemble the MP5 hi-cap mag, as long as you don't also release the clock spring. For an MP5 mid-cap, I don't know if they can be taken apart but just be careful with getting the spring back in.

Some people don't recommend using silicone oil or other lubricants into your magazine because it may negatively coat your BBs with excess material, and that excess will be running through your hop-up unit, bucking, and inner barrel which could throw off your accuracy or possibly cause more junk building up in your inner barrel.

Edited by alberty

People on Youtube do not know what they are doing.

They obviously are not thinking through their actions, because if they thought about it...they wouldn't be doing it.

Oiling your mags is a bad idea.

As Alberty mentions...oil in mag puts oil on bb, which messes up hop-up and puts oil in barrel and on packing...both not smart in action.

Oil in mag also attracts dirt...

Thanks for the replies, they did help clear things up alot. When it comes to cleaning the inner barrel should I use silicone oil to clean it then wipe it out of the barrel or what?

Edited by sythenix

Thanks for the replies, they did help clear things up alot. When it comes to cleaning the inner barrel should I use silicone oil to clean it then wipe it out of the barrel or what?

Silicone oil is a lubricant, not a cleaning agent, it can kind of work, but only because it is likely to trap more dirt on the swab than it does to the barrel. It will always leave at least some dirt behind, will cause dirt to accumulate faster, and the traces of oil are not good for projectile consistency either. I don't know who the hell decided to suggest that everyone should use lube to clean things, rather than its intended purpose, but I'd love to have a not so quiet word with them.

I suggest reasonable amounts of isopropyl alcohol. Another user here who is more experienced than I am apparently uses Windex, though I'm still not quite sure what his reasoning for that choice is.

Edited by Daishain

If the inner barrel is brass or SS, first, I'll take the whole inner barrel assembly out. I'll put a small piece of paper towel on the end of the unjamming rod and run and twist it down the length of the entire barrel. This gets any dust and dirt out. Then I'll put another small piece of paper towel on the unjamming rod, hook the unjamming rod into my electric drill and run it through the entire barrel at low RPM. This takes off most if not all the oxidation and will usually leave an almost mirror finish in the barrel. Some say to use a metal polish. For my painted aluminum inner barrels, like the Madbull tbb, I just do step one, because I'm afraid step two will take the painted finish off.