Sign in to follow this  
RZPCobra

Which Shotgun?

I am looking to get a tri-shot shotgun, and I have encountered two options: UTG M3 (short barrel, full stock) at $50, and the ASG SAS 12 (long barrel, full stock) at $70.

I mainly play at a CQB field, so the UTG would probably be the best practical option for me to get, however I like the look of the longer barrel of the ASG.

Also, the ASG shotgun comes with four 30 round shells and a shell carrier that goes on the stock.

So do I go for practicality over looks? Or looks over practicality? Any info on either of the guns is welcome. All opinions are welcome as well.

Thanks.

Cobra

Guest alberty

Go for practicality. Internally, the long barreled and short barreled tri-shot shotguns function exactly the same and the inner barrels are the same length, so the longer length is purely cosmetic and costs you more just for the look. There's no benefit to the longer version unless you are thinking to install a flashlight or laser clamp mount at the end of the barrel.

The long barreled version has the front iron sight being removable (so over time it will get loose and possibly fall off) and the outer barrel is metal, though that's not an important feature. The fake magazine tube has a heavy weight in it, so with that and the metal outer barrel, you get a pretty heavy gun. For CQB, this gun would be giving you disadvantages of more weight and more bulk in length as compared to the short barreled version. The extra weight and length give no performance advantage.

Extra shell packs are relatively inexpensive and so I don't think you should choose the base gun based on how many shells it alone comes with. Shell carriers are also fairly cheap to get from any retailer, better than the very cheap ones that the tri-shots come with.

Only get the long barrel version if you are okay with the extra length and the slight extra cost.

Edited by alberty

Go for practicality. Internally, the long barreled and short barreled tri-shot shotguns function exactly the same and the inner barrels are the same length, so the longer length is purely cosmetic and costs you more just for the look. There's no benefit to the longer version unless you are thinking to install a flashlight or laser clamp mount at the end of the barrel.

The long barreled version has the front iron sight being removable (so over time it will get loose and possibly fall off) and the outer barrel is metal, though that's not an important feature. The fake magazine tube has a heavy weight in it, so with that and the metal outer barrel, you get a pretty heavy gun. For CQB, this gun would be giving you disadvantages of more weight and more bulk in length as compared to the short barreled version. The extra weight and length give no performance advantage.

Extra shell packs are relatively inexpensive and so I don't think you should choose the base gun based on how many shells it alone comes with. Shell carriers are also fairly cheap to get from any retailer, better than the very cheap ones that the tri-shots come with.

Only get the long barrel version if you are okay with the extra length and the slight extra cost.

Thank you for the fast reply, and based on your response, I think I will go for the UTG M3.

Thanks again!

I have a Remington 870 Express (real steel) shotgun with a 28" barrel, which I have learned to use in a room clearing situation for home defense. Yes, an 18" barrel would be better, but it can be done with the longer one. It has disadvantages, but it has advantages as well. It really depends on your play style and whether you're willing to work a bit more to learn your gun. Practice clearing rooms in your house, going very slow at first and then increasing speed as you become used to your gun. It's really no different than that awkward stage all teenagers go through when their bodies suddenly grow and they become clumsy -- eventually, everyone re-learns their own bodies and then it's easy again. You can make the longer gun work, it just requires a bit of time and practice.

But do take a look at the FPS. Someone told me earlier that FPS can be adjusted down by putting in a weaker spring. Is that an option here?

Scott, I would love to get a Tanaka or Maruzen shotgun, as they are probably the best and realistic, but I don't have that kind of money right now.

And Friar, I know I would probably adjust pretty quickly to the longer barrel, but I think I will stick with the choice of the M3. Thank you for your input though.

And as far as fps goes, they are both roughly 270 - 300 fps with .2s. Also, I'm not sure if there are aftermarket springs for tri shots. If anyone finds a link to some though, post it up.

If you're running a face mask, I'd go with a stockless one like this

http://www.evike.com/products/45642/

sg-a102015.jpg

You can easily get behind the sights (since there's no recoil to worry about), also this one has a rail for any optics you want to put on.

I've had the one with the full stock and found it was almost impossible to get behind the iron sights with a full mask.

I don't know why but I don't really like the look of the stockless shotguns, and I also prefer the stock because I feel I would be able to get more rapid fire shots down range with another point of contact.

I also run goggles and a sniper veil cover for lower face protection (not much, but I don't want to eat a bb), so sighting shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for the suggestion though; all suggestions are welcome!

Guest alberty
I have a Remington 870 Express (real steel) shotgun with a 28" barrel, which I have learned to use in a room clearing situation for home defense. Yes, an 18" barrel would be better, but it can be done with the longer one. It has disadvantages, but it has advantages as well. It really depends on your play style and whether you're willing to work a bit more to learn your gun. Practice clearing rooms in your house, going very slow at first and then increasing speed as you become used to your gun. It's really no different than that awkward stage all teenagers go through when their bodies suddenly grow and they become clumsy -- eventually, everyone re-learns their own bodies and then it's easy again. You can make the longer gun work, it just requires a bit of time and practice.

But do take a look at the FPS. Someone told me earlier that FPS can be adjusted down by putting in a weaker spring. Is that an option here?

Specifically, when comparing the airsoft spring-powered M3 tri-shot shotgun in different configurations, (long barrel version vs. short barrel version, in this specific post), there is pretty much no advantage to the long barrel version at all. The reason I say this is because the two different variants are identical internally, and more specifically the inner barrels are the same length. So, the longer outer barrel and fake magazine tube of the long-barreled M3 tri-shot are purely cosmetic. They do not change the performance or function in any way. Keep in mind, I am specifically comparing the two guns that the user was asking about originally, I am not making references to the real firearms.

You are correct you can train to overcome "inherent" disadvantages like a longer front end, if you choose to do so. I personally am a user of the long-barreled M3 tri-shot, even though the long version gives me no performance advantages like I said.

You can change the FPS of an airsoft AEG by changing the spring in its gearbox. These spring-powered tri-shot shotguns are not AEGs and don't have a gearbox, although they do have springs inside for the cocking action. However, the springs in these shotguns are not meant to be changed; if you try to fit in a stronger or longer spring, your gun's internals may break or fail to function correctly.

And as far as fps goes, they are both roughly 270 - 300 fps with .2s. Also, I'm not sure if there are aftermarket springs for tri shots. If anyone finds a link to some though, post it up.

There were a rare few aftermarket internal parts for the TM style M3 tri-shot made a long time ago, probably discontinued now. Some of them included tightbore barrels and piston cups. I do not recommend searching for these, although they're nice they will probably cost you good money nowadays if you locate any, and there's always the small chance they're not compatible with the clone tri-shots because they could be slightly different than 100% TM spec.

For external accessories, same case, but same are still attainable today. First Factory/Laylax and G&P made a few external accessories, along with a few other brands. I think G&P made the original collapsible stock for the TM, before the clone tri-shots started having them. First Factory/Laylax makes a handguard strap and a magazine lever extension. I think Nitro made a rail system replacement for the handguard. Dangerwerx used to make a polymer or metal rail attachment for the handguard.

Here are a few ideas of external accessories on my personal clone M3: http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Benelli-...es-t284845.html

If you're running a face mask, I'd go with a stockless one like this

You can easily get behind the sights (since there's no recoil to worry about), also this one has a rail for any optics you want to put on.

I've had the one with the full stock and found it was almost impossible to get behind the iron sights with a full mask.

Everyone's experience will be different. I've been using fullface masks and tri-shot shotguns with fixed stocks for years with no problems. If it helps, I personally use Empire E-vents and Dye i4, they're very low profile.

I do agree though, if you want an optics rail, the M1014 style tri-shots are a decent choice, although be aware of the fixed iron sights and their position in relation to your optics.

I don't know why but I don't really like the look of the stockless shotguns, and I also prefer the stock because I feel I would be able to get more rapid fire shots down range with another point of contact.

I agree, I rely heavily on my tri-shot shotguns' stocks for cycling the pump efficiently, since it's requires a hard pull to fully engage. Keep in mind that even if you take good care of your tri-shot, whether it's a clone or a TM, the fake buffer tube attachment point could snap over time, due to the majority of the plastic material. That's nothing to worry about, this is a typical breakage from wear and clone tri-shots are cheap.

Couldn't help but laugh at the mere mention of Tanaka shotguns. Not only are they discontinued, the only specimens still alive and kicking have been so heavily modified with after market parts that it costs twice as much.

M3s are great. SPAS even better if only there was a clone or TM starts making folding stocks again. If you can spare the cash, the new TM M870 is also a good contender. If you can spare the patience, an ACM clone 1/2-1/3 the price is soon to come.

Wow I didn't know that Tanaka's were discontinued.

Anyway, I had my eye on the Tokyo Marui 870, but it's too expensive right now for me. Same would probably go for the ACM clone. One of the main reasons I am looking at the ~$50 tri shot models is because I am starting college next year, so a spring shotgun is budget friendly, yet it is still a great gun.

I have had my first shotgun for a while. I picked it out and then had it shipped when I went to the Evike superstore in California. (My family and I went to disneyland and I wanted to see their store) I don't have any airsoft fields or stores within several hundred miles of me so I have only used this in one battle which was my friends brothers birthday party. (sorry, kind of confusing.) It worked really well except for the loose stock which can be tightened with an allen wrench. But mostly It is used for backyard wars. I just had a 1 on 2 at my friends house a little bit ago. Here is the link for it. http://www.evike.com/products/37031/ It is a little more expensive than the Matrix one, but it comes with 3 shells instead of 1. Even with my little experience (I cannnot even disassemble my AK and I don't know about airsoft internals at all.) I still know enough to know that this is a good shotgun for an amazing price. Tell me what you think. By the way, other than this part, this is the exact same post as I gave someone else looking for a shotgun. Haha! I just copied and pasted it to save time. Hope it helps.

Edited by TacticalAK47