Sign in to follow this  
vxcheese

Is this a good gun for a beginner? (Super tight budget)

Hello. I'm 14, and I find airsoft very interesting. I always see my friends talking about it, and about to play for my first time at Hollywood Sports in California. I'm trying to find a decent gun to start with. Note I have an extremely tight budget (I'm trying to avoid going any higher than $50 (just for the gun itself, I already have armor and accessories situated)), so is this a good/decent gun? (For a primary gun)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RQFX68/r...4805&sr=1-2

Or even this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CXJQ5Y/r..._1_3&sr=8-3

I want an AEG.

Thanks friends!

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/10105-320-...-cm207-blk.aspx

With a budget as low as yours, that's probably the best you're going to manage. It takes regular AEG magazines and uses the same battery as an AEG, so you'll have compatibility there. Even fires at a reasonable FPS and has an adjustable hopup, so you can get some decent accuracy out of it.

However, the guns you're looking at are considered LPEGs. Low Price Electric Guns. Internals made of plastic, so they'll fail more quickly, in general, than an AEG. But the gun's on sale, it's a rifle, and it at least has a version 2 gearbox, so small upgrades can be made if you want. I wouldn't spend much on it, outside of getting more mags and maybe a new hopup bucking. Better to save for a better gun, but it'll at least get you started.

I know, but I've recently introduced the subject of Airsoft with my dad, and he seems a bit sketchy about the concept (I don't know why..) so I'm trying to buy a decent gun for us to just use for a day in Airsoft battles. I don't know about you guys bu that M4 Jeranhound linked me to seems really good, some of it's metal, fps is good, good quality.

I know, but I've recently introduced the subject of Airsoft with my dad, and he seems a bit sketchy about the concept (I don't know why..) so I'm trying to buy a decent gun for us to just use for a day in Airsoft battles. I don't know about you guys bu that M4 Jeranhound linked me to seems really good, some of it's metal, fps is good, good quality.

If that really is all you can manage, it might suffice for a little while. Don't expect much out of it, and be very very careful. That thing is likely to break if you give it an ugly look.

Alternatively If you think you can learn to use one effectively, there are spring shotguns out there within your budget range that are actually pretty damn good. They will take more skill on your part to use effectively, but they would be much more reliable, and the purchase would not be as much of a waste.

I agree with Daishain about the shotgun idea. I have this shotgun. http://www.evike.com/products/37031/ It is a little bit over your budget, but honestly, even in my little experience, I know that 50$ wont get you a good airsoft gun. There is also the exact same one right here. http://www.evike.com/products/30743/ It is cheaper because it comes with one shell only. If you are going to a Hollywood airsoft field, you probably live in southern California. Down there, you will get a lot of airsoft experience. There are so many airsoft stores and fields down there. My experience is different. I have no airsoft stores or fields in this half of the state. Washington state. Not much airsoft here. If you live in southern Cali you should stop by Evike warehouse. I am serious, look it up if you do not know what it is. I visited there when my family went to disneyland earlier this year, and the people there were very helpful giving me information. I learned a lot of things I did not know before. See if you can stop by there sometime and tell them your budget. They will take you over to the shotguns. You will probably have to go over a little bit but you could get a good shotgun. I was surprised that the people working there listened to a 13 year old who was new to airsoft. But, you should look it up. About your dad not liking airsoft, just tell him that it is a sport, like basketball or football. It is just a less common sport.

Edited by TacticalAK47

I'll look into shotguns. I asked a few friends this morning about what I should get for my budget, I showed them that M4 I was linked to, they said its decent. I decided I'm gonna get that MP5 as a secondary (look at my first post if this thread, it's the first link), as they said its a good pick. I want the M4 so bad because I heard that the maps at Hollywood Sports range pretty good ( http://hollywoodsports.com/index.php/fields.html ). So if I get the M4 and MP5, what should I watch out for/safety procedures?

DO NOT BUY A CHEAP AEG.

I'll echo the tri-shot shotgun sentiments. All the cheap tri-shots are pretty much the same. I'd suggest the stockless version because you can line up to the iron sights without worrying about your mask getting in the way. Since you're under 18, most fields will require you to wear a full mask, like a full paintball mask.

Since you're on a tight budget, I suggest this:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...oducts_id=16247

a bag of 0.25gm bbs (will give you a tighter grouping, accuracy and range)

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=9708

Inexpensive paintball mask

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...oducts_id=11115

You're ready to rock and roll for under $100.

I'll look into shotguns. I asked a few friends this morning about what I should get for my budget, I showed them that M4 I was linked to, they said its decent. I decided I'm gonna get that MP5 as a secondary (look at my first post if this thread, it's the first link), as they said its a good pick. I want the M4 so bad because I heard that the maps at Hollywood Sports range pretty good ( http://hollywoodsports.com/index.php/fields.html ). So if I get the M4 and MP5, what should I watch out for/safety procedures?

I mean no offense, but your freinds aren't advising you very well. You would likely have an easier time hitting your target with that SMG by throwing it rather than shooting it, could probably get more distance too if you have a decent arm.

As for your last question, did you mean in terms of taking care of the guns or safety in regards to airsoft in general?

P.S. Gotta say, that is a delicious looking field. Wish there was something like that in my area.

Edited by Daishain

I mean, how would I take care of it? If I did buy that M4, how well would it perform? As you may tell, I really would like a rifle and not a shotgun.

Well, most of that is fairly obvious. Just avoid whacking or otherwise stressing the chassis. Amazingly enough, sitting on it or trying to use the thing as a war club is likely to have bad results. Beyond that:

-Clean the inner barrel when you first get the gun. You wouldn't believe the amount of gunk manufacturers can leave in there.

-Don't spam the trigger or run it for too long in full auto, your internal components are rather delicate

-It can apparently get a decent fps with 0.20 gram bbs, so just go ahead and use that weight, don't try getting the 0.12 stuff.

-Make sure you get ammunition from a reputable brand, which basically means online or from a proper airsoft store. The stuff sold by Walmart, Dicks and other generic retailers is pretty much universally crap that is likely to (at least eventually)destroy your gun.

...I heard that the maps at Hollywood Sports range pretty good ( http://hollywoodsports.com/index.php/fields.html ).

Assuming you are planning to play at HSP, you can usually find a good number of people selling their gear for an okay price. But if you really need to buy a gun now, get the shotgun. No rifle under $100 is going to last. HSP also has a fairly decent G36 AEG as their rental guns.

Edited by B.A.M.F.

Okay. I have some good news. I was at my friends house yesterday, and he had a broken M4. (The stock was duct taped, mag didn't work). However I did manage to fix it. The bad news however is it didn't come with a battery and charger. It's a double eagle M83. Is it any good?

Lets just say that saying the phrase double eagle will make most people around here cringe. That stated, its not bad for a $30-40 dollar gun, and fixing up a busted LPEG to use for a little while is better than going out and buying one.

Alright, cool. I have a last few questions. First, what's a hopup? Second, whatever controls the FPS in this gun (double eagle M83), can I upgrade it? And lastly, would this gun be usable in an Airsoft battle at Hollywood Sports?

Hopup is a system that causes a backspin on the bb as it enters the barrel. Nearly all airsoft guns have them. The effect of the backspin is similar to what you get with aircraft wings, creating an upwards force that can completely counteract gravity, at least until it slows down. If adjusted right, it will cause the bb to fly straighter and for a longer distance. A good hopup can do amazing things to the trajectory of a bb. A bad one probably won't hurt things by comparison to having nothing at all, but won't help much either.

Several things influence FPS, but the single biggest one would be the strength of the spring that drives your piston. Normally yes, this can be upgraded, at least up to a point, but in this case I strongly suspect trying it will cause your gearbox to break. That might actually be amusing, stick a 250% spring into a polymer gearbox and watch it explode.

And finally, useable yes, competitive definitely not. I won't lie to you, you will be at a pretty significant disadvantage using that gun. This disadvantage is not however something that cannot be overcome. If you use your head to get close enough and/or get the drop on the opposing players, it doesn't really matter how good or bad your gun is. Well, unless you get up there and the gun won't fire at all. Then you get to choose between running away or trying to bluff a safety kill.

Edited by Daishain

Okay, cool. So when I go to Hollywood sports to play against some friends, would it be okay to use this gun? What are the most significant upgrades I can make to it? I saw my same gun in a YouTube video modded to shoot .24g bb's at 280 FPS. How would I achieve a fast FPS? What type of BB's should I use?

Edited by vxcheese

Okay, cool. So when I go to Hollywood sports to play against some friends, would it be okay to use this gun? What are the most significant upgrades I can make to it? I saw my same gun in a YouTube video modded to shoot .24g bb's at 280 FPS. How would I achieve a fast FPS? What type of BB's should I use?

If you really want to, go ahead, just don't be surprised when you get badly outclassed by other guns like I mentioned. You can as I was saying, use tactics to get the drop on people, but that will only take you so far, especially as an inexperienced player.

As for modding it, I frankly do not know. The only means by which I am aware of to mod that gun to get significantly better performance would cost significantly more than just buying a much better gun, and involve replacing just about everything on the inside. Maybe the guy you found on youtube found a cheaper way, see if you can find out.

As for bbs, it doesn't look like it can handle anything more than the 0.12g. Just grab some off the shelf at Walmart, then visually check the bbs for anything grossly malformed and toss it before loading the gun. Bear in mind, the kind of bbs found at walmart, and 0.12g bbs in general should never be used in a decent gun. Not only will they rob you of performance, they have a non zero chance of shattering while inside, possibly leaving chunks to foul up the gearbox.

Edited by Daishain

So I'm guessing this gun isn't good :/

If I were to get the FPS somehow to 350-360 with .12g bb's, would it compete with a standard rental they have there? It's a G36 (not sure who it's made by)

Well, no, I thought that was made fairly clear.

If they bought wisely for their rentals, they might have a JG G36 with a weakened spring, but there's no way to be sure. Its a great beginner gun.

One thing I am sure of, even if you upgrade your muzzle velocity by that much, it will still be outperformed by the rentals. Lesson number 1 new airsoft players need to learn is that FPS is not the most important attribute of your gun. It is at best a means to an end, and in some cases can even be detrimental to your gun's performance if other attributes are not addressed. Imagine for instance you've got a baseball pitcher that can throw a ball at 150 feet per second, far faster than anything else ever recorded. But this guy has terrible accuracy, and will only hit his target window in front of the batter perhaps one time out of a hundred. What good is he?

Edited by Daishain

So I'm guessing this gun isn't good :/

If I were to get the FPS somehow to 350-360 with .12g bb's, would it compete with a standard rental they have there? It's a G36 (not sure who it's made by)

No. The rentals are much higher quality. I say save your money for something that's actually usable against people with good guns and rent in the meantime. I understand you want to own a gun, but you'll be completely outgunned with either of the two you're looking at.

Hello. I'm 14, and I find airsoft very interesting. I always see my friends talking about it, and about to play for my first time at Hollywood Sports in California. I'm trying to find a decent gun to start with. Note I have an extremely tight budget (I'm trying to avoid going any higher than $50 (just for the gun itself, I already have armor and accessories situated)), so is this a good/decent gun? (For a primary gun)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RQFX68/r...4805&sr=1-2

Or even this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CXJQ5Y/r..._1_3&sr=8-3

I want an AEG.

Thanks friends!

With your budget,Evike usually has SOME decent guns,I recently bought one,but it was about $200 more

if you want a good gun I suggest you raise your budget by maybe $50

Okay, well, I finally decided to accept that this gun isn't that good. However, I was thinking. Would it make a good CQC gun?

On another note, if I had a budget of $125-140, what's a great gun?

In CQC, its shortcomings won't hold you back as badly as it would out in the open, but it still is not really a good option.

As for options found with the higher budget I'm going to save my fingers which have been busy all day and just link this:

http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/index...p;topic=10854.0

The topic is a bit old, and some of that info is outdated, but it should give you a better idea of what to look for.

vxcheese you can keep the double eagle as a dust magnet if you want, but it just isnt what you want to show to your dad to give him an idea of what this sport is all about. Go to HSP, rent a gun, play for a day, and save your money for something like Lefse mentioned.

Frankly even a JG is a better buy than that gun. It is what we call an LPEG (Low Power Electric Gun) that will be more trouble than it is worth.