to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
teh_roxxorz

Airsoft Aluminum BB composition

Hey guys,

I'm just a geek working with airsoft aluminum BB's. Does anyone here know what kind of aluminum these (http://www.amazon.com/TSD-Tactical-Feeder-Aluminum-Airsoft/dp/B001DHHPZW) airsoft BB's are made from?

does anyone know who makes these specifically?

any help would be great thanks!

I don't know why the matril maters and it says tsd is the brand

Guest alberty
I don't know why the matril maters and it says tsd is the brand

Well, it's like trying to find out if your "full metal" AEG is made with aluminum, steel, or pot metal. Maybe it doesn't matter in one sense, but it might be nice to find out more about it.

Although you are partially correct that "TSD" is the associated brand name, TSD is one of the labels which rebrands different OEMs. For example, the TSD L96 is a rebranded Well L96. The TSD tri-shot shotguns are rebranded DE tri-shot shotguns. So, that means we don't know the OEM of these BBs just from seeing the TSD label.

I must agree with Guges.

Airsoft gun shoot 6mm plastic BB. They are not intended for metal BB. It's unsafe and dangerous. If you really want to shoot metal BBs, Buy a gun that's intended for target shooting or hunting only.

Just because someone makes them, doesn't mean you should use them. So please for the sake of the airsoft community and growing this hobby. Please stop using it.

Edited by Allizard

Just a thought, but perhaps he's asking about the material properties and manufacturer because he's looking to use them as bearing balls (or some other related purpose), not as airsoft projectiles. I vaguely recall seeing a video on tribology that was using a whole bunch of bearings in some spinning system to simulate something. It might be easier and/or cheaper to get these domestically than to make a bulk order for bearings from China, or something.

Just because someone asks about metal BBs, doesn't mean they intend to shoot them.

Just a thought, but perhaps he's asking about the material properties and manufacturer because he's looking to use them as bearing balls (or some other related purpose), not as airsoft projectiles. I vaguely recall seeing a video on tribology that was using a whole bunch of bearings in some spinning system to simulate something. It might be easier and/or cheaper to get these domestically than to make a bulk order for bearings from China, or something.

Just because someone asks about metal BBs, doesn't mean they intend to shoot them.

Airsoft BBs have grotesque tolerances. Even the best BBs, BBBastard Pearls, would be a Grade 50 in terms of ball bearings.

Anyone who wants to use metal BBs for bearings is just asking for trouble. The horrible tolerances would wreak havoc with whatever device he would use them with. Additionally, if he wanted metal bearings, those are very easy to come by. It's clear he wants to shoot them.

Aluminum is actually a poor material for use as a BB. It is just hard enough to potentially ding up a stainless steel barrel, let alone a brass barrel, but is still soft enough to minutely deform when it impacts a hard target. As a result, it would not be reusable even for target shooting (unless you wanted to compromise the integrity of your barrel).

It would be both cheaper, easier, and better for him to go to a hardware store and pick up some 15/64" bearings. Those will have better tolerances and be cheaper than whatever TSD is selling, which is likely Grade 1000 bearings.

You can slap the word "airsoft" on anything and immediately get double the price for it. Proof? Go to any airsoft retailer and find out what they are charging for an "airsoft" NiMh or LiPo battery. Then, go to a RC shop and look up the price for identical batteries. The "airsoft" price will be double to quadruple the normal "RC" price.

I'm not proud of it, but I sold two LiPos a month or so ago. They wouldn't sell on eBay for the longest time, so I added the word "airsoft" to the description. They sold almost immediately and for the max price.

Edited by airsoftmatthias

It's not absolutely clear to me from his post that he wants to shoot them. Are there no possible other reasons something might want to "work with" relatively lightweight metal balls (compared to steel bearings) that are not necessarily load-bearing?

Maybe I'm terrible at finding things, but can you point me in the direction where I could conveniently find some 6mm or 15/64" aluminum balls for less than $16 per 1000, tight tolerances not necessary.

It's not absolutely clear to me from his post that he wants to shoot them. Are there no possible other reasons something might want to "work with" relatively lightweight metal balls (compared to steel bearings) that are not necessarily load-bearing?

Maybe I'm terrible at finding things, but can you point me in the direction where I could conveniently find some 6mm or 15/64" aluminum balls for less than $16 per 1000, tight tolerances not necessary.

No, it's not absolutely clear, but if you use rational inference, you can come to that conclusion.

Why on earth would you want aluminum ball bearings that have poor tolerances?

Aluminum has a density of 2.7g/mL. A 6mm (rounded up from 5.953mm) BB made of pure aluminum should therefore have a volume of 905 mm^3, which is equal to 0.905mL. Thus, these BBs should weigh 2.44g. They only weigh 0.30g. As a result, they must either be extremely hollow or made of an alloy.

There are many high quality BBs in the 0.30g range made of plastics. A metal BB at that weight is unnecessary.

The use of ball bearings in airsoft guns is primarily for target shooting. Target shooters typically want the best performance possible, which means using ammunition with extremely tight tolerances. Additionally, metal ball bearings are used because no BBs are made in the desired "super heavyweight" categories.

Your argument about finding cheap ball bearings is also easily addressed. Use Google. The actual composition of those ball bearings does not matter since the TSD BBs in question are clearly not made of pure aluminum or even a primarily-aluminum alloy.

Edited by airsoftmatthias