Sign in to follow this  
Israphel

What would you do if someone was going to kill themselves?

Honestly, I'd get them mental help, and therapy. Not saying that sarcastically.

Edit: I was kind of in a hurry to get off of here earlier, but I was pretty much say what Daishain said. I don't mean therapy and mental help for everybody. (There still are some that need both.) Like Daishain said, sometimes you need to listen to them and talk to them without using stupid things that don't help at all. I know I'm pretty much repeating you Daishain, but it was I kind of meant before. I just had to get off here and I didn't want to leave an empty page. I think the ones who have "nothing to live for" are the ones who maybe have an incurable disease that's causing them excruciating pain. Even people living in a box on the side of the street in a big city like Seattle or L.A still have hope. I don't know how they do, but except for people who are dying, everybody has some kind of hope. Even in a deep hole of depression.

Edited by TacticalAK47

It depends on the context.

The vast majority of people who commit suicide, or attempt to do so, simply need help. And I do not mean that in the "he/she's crazy" sense. Most people who attempt suicide are quite sane, often painfully so.

Either they literally need help with their life and have found no other means to get others to pay attention or give a damn, and/or they simply have failed to see another way out of the situation they find themselves in. Most feel trapped and abandoned by the world, with no other options left to them

In the former case, simply listening, really, truly, and honestly listening, is often enough to bring them back from the brink to get them the help they need. The latter is a little more complex, it still requires that you listen carefully to what they say, but takes input from your end. It ends up a lot like a diagnostics session, with the goal being to get them to think beyond whatever issue they're hung up on, and hopefully see a path going forward. Hint: if you find yourself saying ridiculous stuff like "but there's so much to live for!", you aren't helping at all.

That is something I can do, and definitely would do if within my ability.

There are a few exceptions however. In some cases, (very few, but they do exist) the individual has literally nothing to live for. Not even that basic staple of human life, hope. When all the continuation of life will bring is more pain, asking them to stay the course is selfish and cruel.

In any event, this man puts it better than I can, largely because he has been in this situation all too many times.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_briggs_the_...uicide_and_life

It depends on the context.

The vast majority of people who commit suicide, or attempt to do so, simply need help. And I do not mean that in the "he/she's crazy" sense. Most people who attempt suicide are quite sane, often painfully so.

Either they literally need help with their life and have found no other means to get others to pay attention or give a damn, and/or they simply have failed to see another way out of the situation they find themselves in. Most feel trapped and abandoned by the world, with no other options left to them

In the former case, simply listening, really, truly, and honestly listening, is often enough to bring them back from the brink to get them the help they need. The latter is a little more complex, it still requires that you listen carefully to what they say, but takes input from your end. It ends up a lot like a diagnostics session, with the goal being to get them to think beyond whatever issue they're hung up on, and hopefully see a path going forward. Hint: if you find yourself saying ridiculous stuff like "but there's so much to live for!", you aren't helping at all.

That is something I can do, and definitely would do if within my ability.

There are a few exceptions however. In some cases, (very few, but they do exist) the individual has literally nothing to live for. Not even that basic staple of human life, hope. When all the continuation of life will bring is more pain, asking them to stay the course is selfish and cruel.

In any event, this man puts it better than I can, largely because he has been in this situation all too many times.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_briggs_the_...uicide_and_life

ay thatthank you very much daishan I love that you are able to say that