mcrrocker277

Are You Picky About Airsoft Companies

when it comes to buying a new gun or even just looking at guns are you biased on what companies to go with?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. well are you?

• yes
    • no
    • I just go with reviews, who cares about the company

Absolutely, you're paying for an expensive product that is known to have a lot of "lemons". A company's reputation can help point out guns that might be the fad of the week, but aren't likely to be viable in the long haul.

If the reviewer knows their stuff and the review is thorough then cool. Often times there are a lot of "initial impressions" and such that provide little information on how the thing is gonna hold up long term. However I am more than willing to give a company a chance if they put something out that is good.

I don't look for reviews outright. Videos showing the gun in question being heavily used under trying conditions are more valuable to me than someone's lavish praise after using it for a minute at a weekend game.

If the reviewer knows their stuff and the review is thorough then cool. Often times there are a lot of "initial impressions" and such that provide little information on how the thing is gonna hold up long term. However I am more than willing to give a company a chance if they put something out that is good.

I don't look for reviews outright. Videos showing the gun in question being heavily used under trying conditions are more valuable to me than someone's lavish praise after using it for a minute at a weekend game.

Especially if it is from a kid who got their "first" gun.

Plus, you will most likely never see a bad review on vendor websites. They don't want to be stuck with low grade junk...

Edited by Guges Mk3

Especially if it is from a kid who got their "first" gun.

Plus, you will most likely never see a bad review on vendor websites. They don't what to be stuck with low grade junk...

What do you got against kids who got their "first" gun? (Just kidding, I get what you're saying completely.) I can make a good review on my first AEG. I do think it's stupid if it's some kid who got it 10 minutes ago, shot 20 rounds through it, and decided they loved it, and that it was the "BEST GUN EVER!!!" Yes though, it does matter what brand it is because, like I said, a lot of people who make the reviews have had it for 10 minutes. Not all of them, but a lot of them. I still always read the reviews and research the heck out of the brand name and it's reputation. Don't listen to the people who sell it that say that it's "The best gun on the market" or things like that. Always, do at least some research on the brand and the gun itself. Even if you've bought from that brand before and had good experiences with them. All brands have their crappy guns.

Edited by TacticalAK47

I find like most things, there are bad guns from good companies and even some good guns from bad companies. So I am not brand loyal at all.

Some companies are better overall, but you had better do your research before you buy. I've had friends that have just bought this and that on impulse and ended up with nothing but duds.

Yeah, my friend (who doesn't even know what airsoft internals are.) bought a $40 walmart zombie killer shorty M4. Even after I told him that it would last about 5 minutes. He came to my house, showed it to me all proud and happy about his new gun. He loaded the BBs into the fake scope, put the "Magazine" (Battery) in the gun and we went out and shot some stuff. Right after that, the "scope" broke and we couldn't get it back together. He was going to fix it back at his house, and next time I went over there, I asked "Where's the M4?", he says something like, "About that... I'm never trusting walmart again." A bit off topic, but I thought I'd share that story. Just saying, don't trust stuff because it looks cool.

Yeah it was the same way with paintball, I remember the wallmart crap or the $25. to $50. guns that brass eagle and other bad companies would pump out. Whenever someone who didn't know any better showed up at the field with one, we would bet on how long it was going to last before it broke.

What do you mean...Brass Eagles were the Best! Aldo Peron is a genius (at fleecing newbs money, like me at the time)!

I had a Nightmare Long Barrel, Golden Eagle and a Barracuda (Though the Baracuda did work better after heavy modifications)...then I got an Autococker.

I really hate being the guy that has no idea what the others are talking about. You paintball people.

One thing that everybody should know is DON'T BUY GUNS FROM WALMART!!! Airsoft or paintball, they will break so quickly. (Even though the springers are pretty fun while they last. :a-grin: )

I really hate being the guy that has no idea what the others are talking about. You paintball people.

One thing that everybody should know is DON'T BUY GUNS FROM WALMART!!! Airsoft or paintball, they will break so quickly. (Even though the springers are pretty fun while they last. :a-grin: )

Or BBs, at least in my experience.

Edited by DarkMajor21

Yeah it was the same way with paintball, I remember the wallmart crap or the $25. to $50. guns that brass eagle and other bad companies would pump out. Whenever someone who didn't know any better showed up at the field with one, we would bet on how long it was going to last before it broke.

I used to manage a paintball store back in the 90's. You would not believe the number of BE Stingrays I had to repair each week because the valves were crap.

I'm not particular about companies, especially the ones that are WAY out of my price range (like $300+ for a rifle. Sorry, but that's half a month's rent for me. Priorities). Companies can say all sorts of wondrous things about there products, and give examples of "testimonials" by satisfied customers like "T.S. from Amarillo" or "J.M. from Baton Rouge" and the actual product received is utter crapola. I like to base my purchases on quality/performance for the price. Unfortunately, and I'm not trying to pee in anyone's Cheerios but it's true, 90% of the airsoft reviews being shown on Youtube and such are being done by 10 or 12 year old kids using terms like "hammer thingy" and the like. A review I saw of a spring revolver by one kid said that the rear sight adjustment screw was for the "Hop Up". I always thought the Hop Up was in FRONT of the BB when it's fired, not behind it. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I'm not considering any of my purchases based on these types of reviews. Not unless the reviewers are grandchildren of Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, or Carlos Hathcock.

Edited by gunnerk19

I'm picky about almost no airsoft companies. I'll give everything from the middle-of-the-road MPEG comapnies to 99.9% of the high end companies my dime if they catch my interest. Hell, LPEGs can be useful for custom builds.

There is one exception to this rule.

ARES.

I have never seen an ARES product at a price point which makes it worth putting up with the :censored2:. Not once, ever. Every product they've made has been a visionary product plagued by poor quality control and bad standards at best, and an unmitigated disaster at worst. Sadly, they tend toward the latter -- the only example I have of the former, in fact, is their Stoner 96 LMG. (No feed tube makes me happy -- not happy enough to send my money to them though!)

Even they have had an exception made for them recently though, with their Amoeba sub-brand. Decent price tags on the Tactical Pistol line, unique designs (I can't take my money elsewhere and have a chance at getting stuff remotely like that, visually, for the most part), minimal proprietary parts, and it seems likely that their fire control thingy would function as a MOSFET. I'm putting some cash on the AM-013, and we'll see how that goes. Worst case scenario, I hollow it out and have my tech stuff it full of ICS split gearbox and various aftermarket bits and bobs, and for a unique exterior like that, that's a gamble worth my time and money.

--Cassy

Well, both actually. I have had two WE TECH 1911s over a course of three years. The first one I bough was fabulous and performed very well. I sold that, and ended up buying another one a few months later because of how much I like it. The second ones slide practically exploded after 3 shots.