Sign in to follow this  
TehNoobzPwner

How old do you think a ref/marshall should be?

My parents and I are looking to buy 122 acres of land and turning it into an airsoft field. My friends and I are all around 15-17 and we are going to be marshalls. Although we are younger, we are very mature and take the game seriously. I understand that the game is technically 18+ but I would like opinions on how old a ref/marshall should be.

I know of multiple fields that allow younger players with parent/guardian permission along with mandatory full face masks.

Maturity can come with age however I have seen more than a few emotional adults and minors. I highly recommend looking into effective communication and conflict resolution I.e. become socially capable. Good refs/game control can quickly defuse arguments and establish rapports with all involved parties and come to a solution where no one gets their precious feelings hurt while being able to instantly smite and eject bad apples.

It's better to have older people as marshals on the simple fact that there are people who will only respect authority figures if they look mature. Even if you handle situations well and fairly, you will always come across those kinds of people and dealing with them can and will be difficult. Maybe if one of your friends look really old to pass the role he can deal with such situations.

I work at a field where I am the oldest ref. At 60 years old I play and ref. I refereed my first paintball game almost 20 years ago.

We have several high school kids under 18 who also ref. I find the youngins are respected and just as capable as I am. I make my judgement when I watch them ref during games I am playing in. I believe experienced honest players will make the best refs. I will not give a chance at refereeing to a player I observe cheating while playing. No one will respect a ref who they know is a cheater.

Someone has to be evaluating the performance of each ref and non-performance or biased performance needs to be corrected or the ref should be returned to the player pool and exchanged for more experienced refs.

wage peace

A lot of paintball and airsoft refs at my local field are young, a lot are 17-18. As long as they are taking it seriously and being mature, I don't see a problem, there has yet to be one here.

A ref/marshal needs to have three things going for them. A good attitude, experience, and an ability to make sure the people they're overseeing actually listen to them.

Generally speaking, the younger a person is, the less likely they are to have any of these attributes, much less all three. (not that there is any age group guaranteed to have them) That last one is particularly tricky for a young person, however mature they may be, many people are not especially willing to take them seriously. However, if they are one of the exceptions, and do genuinely have all three factors, a referee could be 12 years old for all I care.

Edited by Daishain