Sign in to follow this  
ncp546

Thompson M1A1 wont turn on, fire etc

Hey everyone new to the fourm's here. I have what I think a cybergun thompson m1a1 automaic airsoft gun witch wont turn on fire or do anything really. I bought the gun new about 4-5 years ago. Tired turning it on today and nothing. Battery is good (hot from charge) and a new 20 AMP fuse has been put in and nothing happens. Ive never taken it apart and only have used it a handful of times. Could the motor be burnt out? It was a fun gun looking to get it back up. Let me know if you have any thoughts or leads. Thanks, Nick

does it make a click when you pull the trigger? I bought one of those and it fired a few times and then shut down. turned out a tiny grub screw fell into the motor. Not even sure how it got in thete but as soon as it came out I was back in business.

No click. Decided to dig into it, I took to leads on the + and - of the motor and took it to a battery, sure enough (while the trigger was being pulled) the motor turned over. So I am assuming the battery is shot. Correct?

What is the battery and is it also 4-5 years old without being used?

At least 3+ years yes. It's the stock miah battery I think the 8.6 I was looking at upgrading to the 9.(6?) volt battery but I heard it screws up the gun. Would batteries+ have the battery? Just looking to shoot it around for fun and not be in wars anymore.

To be sure you can run it on a multi tester but I'm almost positive it's gone bad. NiMH needs to be used regularly doing a full cycle every couple of months or you risk having one or two cells reverse polarity ruining the whole pack. There are ways to fix it but for what it's worth you're better off just getting a new one or switch to LiPo batteries which are far more stable.

or switch to LiPo batteries which are far more stable.

In the sense that you won't have cells reverse polarity on you sure. But stable is not a word I would use for LiPo, they have plenty of other issues.

In the sense that you won't have cells reverse polarity on you sure. But stable is not a word I would use for LiPo, they have plenty of other issues.

At Northern Light, one cooked off in a car for the drone operator...the inside of his nice truck was burnt.

Batteries plus is NOT the ideal place to buy Airsoft packs and neither are Airsoft retailers.

If you want another NIMH pack, cheapbatterypacks.com is a good option.

Plus a 9.6V will not exponentially ruin your gun. Due to the increase in voltage the AEG wears faster. Sort of like a car that will last 100,000 miles. If you drive at 84 you can drive longer, but if you drive at 96, your play time is shortened. Get the analogy?

Edited by Guges Mk3

agreed. one of the fields I go to banned them as one nearly exploded (my buddies) and a second one burnt up someones passanger seat and interior. As the field is up in the Santa Cruz mountains they decided it was easier to ban them than to deal with burning the mountains down.

Simply getting a new battery and using it on a semi regular basis is better. And if its the stock battery that came wirh it then that battery is simply crap. Granted the 7 cell fits slightly better an 8 cell gives you a little more juice though is a bit snug. I took mine out last year to use as a loaner gun for a friends brother. the stock battery crapped out half way through the first round. we dropped the battery from my scar into it and wow, way better.

agreed. one of the fields I go to banned them as one nearly exploded (my buddies) and a second one burnt up someones passanger seat and interior. As the field is up in the Santa Cruz mountains they decided it was easier to ban them than to deal with burning the mountains down.

Simply getting a new battery and using it on a semi regular basis is better. And if its the stock battery that came wirh it then that battery is simply crap. Granted the 7 cell fits slightly better an 8 cell gives you a little more juice though is a bit snug. I took mine out last year to use as a loaner gun for a friends brother. the stock battery crapped out half way through the first round. we dropped the battery from my scar into it and wow, way better.

Thanks for the replays everyone. I'm thinking for going to my local hobbytown and seeing if they just have a battery that's close to it. I know right away they are going to recommend I "upgrade" or "use this" I hope I don't go for the bad choice.