Sign in to follow this  
SirGer15

Could someone help me? (LiPo stuff)

Hey guys, recently I bought a Tenergt Balance LiPo charger. And a 11.1v 1600 mAh Tenergy LiPo. So because I'm new with this, I also bought a LiPo bag if something goes wrong. Okay, my doubts are:

After the first charge. Let suppose that today, because I got also my first gun, I want to test it, so, I charge thr battery and then use it like 10 minutes. What after that? I only put the battery in a safe place? Because the next time I play I think it will be this Sunday or the next one. Okay, after that, if I play this Sunday like.2-3 hours, what I need to do with LiPo after?

Sorry, I know the best was buying an Acuccel 6 or IMax B6, but I didn't find them. So past things. I couldn't do anything right now. Buying charger like that by Hobbyking will be here in 1 month and I can't wait more to shot the gun.

Please, could someone give me more recommendations about charging with this charger?

I would appreciate all the help.

Oh, also I know this charger may don't last many time, then I would order a better one

Regards

Main thing you should know. Don't store LiPo batteries charged. It can damage them.

If your charger was made for LiPos, it should have a storage/discharge function. If you aren't planning on using the battery for more than a day or so, hook it up and discharge it.

Guest alberty

Can you provide any online website links to the exact lipo charger that you bought? I am guessing that you may have bought a basic lipo balance charger which has nothing but some lights and the place to plug in the white plug of your lipo battery.

I would search online for some basic guides on lipo battery usage and safety. You may find them from R/C websites and forums as well, as a lot of people doing R/C use lipo batteries too.

The basics would be to balance charge your lipo batteries, and if your charger has a storage function you can discharge your lipos at the end of the day to the storage level. Keep them in the lipo bag when you're not using them, and consider investing in a lipo alarm/monitor so you don't overdrain your lipo batteries while playing for a long time.

If your lipo batteries get puffy at all or don't seem to function correctly, it may be safer just to ditch it and get a new one to replace it.

Main thing you should know. Don't store LiPo batteries charged. It can damage them.

If your charger was made for LiPos, it should have a storage/discharge function. If you aren't planning on using the battery for more than a day or so, hook it up and discharge it.

Correction. Don't store your battery FULLY charged. It's fine to store battery with charge. What's more important is don't discharge below the recommend level. That you need to read the battery specification.

For LiPos, if storing for long periods, they should be stored between 40-60% charged.

The lifetime of a LiPo is around 5-10 years. Under optimum conditions LiPos lose about 2-4% of their capacity (permanently) over a year. But if stored fully charged, or fully discharged, this can increase to as high as 20%. Storing at 100% charge can also result in an overvoltage condition.

This is why most LiPos will be around 50% charged when you first get them. The self-discharge rate is very low.

If a LiPo is ever over-charged (greater than 4.2V) or over-discharged (less than 3.0V) this can cause electroplating of the lithium from ion form to solid (metal) form. At that point the battery becomes dangerous to use in any state and should be retired.

I would not ask for advice on R/C forums or robotics forums, their applications are a bit different. For instance they run their LiPos without fuses and the technology level is more evolved than airsoft (BLDC motors, ESCs, etc.) Also a lot of their circuit design focusses on avoiding or negating EMI which is not an issue for airsoft.

Edited by Shutaro
  • Upvote 1