to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
SecondWind

Surrender/Bang kills

For all players:

Some criteria to increase the chances of a successful surrender/bang kill (according to your field's rules):

1.) Be sure that you are indeed within minimum engagement distances as per field rules when trying to induce a surrender or bang kill

2.) Preferably be at your target's flank or otherwise get the drop on them

3.) Point your weapon at your target

4.) verbally acquire your target's attention and attempt to surrender/bang kill them

While I dislike surrender/bang kills in general I have noticed many players over the years exploit other players' sportsmanship and nice manners or otherwise try to induce surrenders under less than ideal circumstances.

One example I see way too often is a player with their weapon down too far away from their target to induce a surrender.

Another example is just standing there expecting another player to call themselves out upon seeing you.

Your field(s) rules may vary so adjust accordingly as the above may only be unique to CA fields.

+1

Make sure you say "bang bang" or "surrender" loud enough for your enemy to hear you. Also, be familiar with your field's barrel-to-barrel rules, I.e. if you have a parlay system or if both players are out upon a barrel-to-barrel surrender, in case there is a misunderstanding. You also need to have a line of sight on the other player in order to actually surrender them.

Something that happens a lot at my field is two players will come barrel-to-barrel, and while it should really end with both players out, the player who said "surrender" first will claim to be the one who killed the other. This is a time when it's good to know the rules, because you can tell the other player that he/she is out as well.

And don't abuse the bang rule. It's as bad as not calling your hit.

One big thing at all the fields I've played at is to not yell 'surrender', that is more of a paintball thing and not airsoft. In airsoft it just brings about confusion (people will think you are trying to surrender because you are yelling it, etc.)

Other than that the rules are pretty simple and spelled out, 'bang bang' is for situations where you could normally shoot someone and they couldn't instantly return fire back, while parlay is used for situations where they could. And 'bang bang' can't be used on multiple people at the same time, you have to physically point the gun at each individual and shout 'bang bang' in order for it to be valid.

In most situations I prefer to actually avoid the 'bang bang' because of the attention it attracts. All the fields I've played at allow you to use a sidearm within MER up to pretty close, one CQB field has no MER for sidearms and the other has a 5' rule for sidearms.

One place where the rules can break down is when it gets noisy and there is too much confusion or overspeak to hear much of anything.

Shouting "surrender" has a certain authority to it that "bang bang" doesn't. And I don't see how saying "surrender" would bring about confusion, because most, if not all, players will be saying it with the intent of getting kills within the MED - if you want to surrender, you pull out your dead rag and walk off the field.

The problem with "bang kills" is that they really are a misnomer.

My understanding based on the region where I play (Midwest USA) is that saying "bang bang" doesn't guarantee a kill, but is really the equivalent of asking the person to "surrender."

Saying "bang" or "bang, bang" is an exclamation rather than "surrender" which is a command. So when you "bang kill" someone you're giving them the opportunity to call themselves out or to try and turn and return fire. In that sense, a "bang kill" isn't even necessarily kill unless the other player decides to cooperate. That's why I prefer to say or ask "surrender!" since there's no assumption of "hey, I yelled 'bang' at you, you're supposed to be dead."

I see this issue all the time where someone yells "bang" from 20 feet away at a moving target and expects that person to be eliminated. That's not how a true "bang kill" works.

Edited by Gimpalong

If I may add to your list,

You may not Surrender more players than you have with you!

I have seen one guy try to pop over a hill and claim and entire squad of 6 is surrendered... The ref gave him two of the guys as "out" but declared the other 4 would have shot him, so he was out as well...

We use this as a courtesy, not really a "rule". You are allowed to try and go Rambo on someone if they have the drop on you, but by doing so you accept the consequences of the fire they are about to put on you. It's worked well for many years, as most people just take the offered courtesy...

That's just how it works at the fields I play at, another difference is that few people have or use dead rags where I play. I'm not sure why dead rags are so uncommon, perhaps the stigma associated with prominent gang colors (?).

Yelling surrender is synonomous with calling yourself out, as in "Don't shoot! I'm dead / already dead." It can be used to acknowledge "bang bang!" or when you unknowingly run into an ambush or any other sure-death situation and want to call yourself out on the spot rather than risk getting "lit up". All these rules are explained as part of the safety brief prior to play; I've never seen any confusion or uncertainty on the field during actual games.

Most players where I play have pretty good awareness and readiness about what's going on in front of them so it's honestly pretty rare to get a bang kill or even a parlay. Most of the time if you have the luxury of being unseen, a knife kill is preferable since it doesn't require you to yell anything or give away your position.

In noticed a lot of airsofters in my area want to differentiate themselves and their games from paintballers so that could also have something to do with it to.

We have also seen a decline in the use of dead rags. We are seeing more players "act out" the hit. Not all of us, as I don't, but there is a growing section of players that enjoy it. And I have to admit, it really adds to the flavor of the game when I see my buddy Tom get hit, fall, and roll down the hill...

Sounds like the civil war re-enactments I've attended once or twice (as a photographer), they do the same thing (dramatic deaths), in fact many will talk about looking forward to getting killed the whole battle since that is their chance to be the center of attention and/or show off. The only difference is that their 'deaths' are largely predestined -- the typical rule is that everyone gets a 'random' amount of ammo and when you are out, you will die on the next enemy volley.