33 members have voted

1. 1. How do you deal with cheaters?

• Light them up
    • Yell at them
    • Tell the referee/marshall
    • Ignore it
    • Cheat back
    • Other (specify)

I tend to just light them up. If they are consistently cheating, I will tell a ref, but there isn't much a ref can do unless they catch them in the act. And lets face it, a ref can't watch everyone.

I had this discussion with one of the refs at my local game last weekend. He's and older guy, easily in his 50's or 60's, and started off when paintball first started. So he's seen his fair number of cheaters. I'm the kind of guy that shoots semi during a game, and I aim for center mass. But once you start cheating, and I can see you flinching or bbs bouncing off of you, it's full auto to whatever sensitive part of the body I can find. Face, or exposed skin. And I will hose you until you are out. I don't care if you get over shot or not. If you're going to cheat, you're going to pay for it.

I tend to find a different kind of "cheaters", though it's more like bad sports, with poor trigger discipline, and no sense of safety.

These are people who will shoot you, you'll call "out" or "hit", and they'll quietly acknowledge this and then unload on you full auto. And if a ref is around they'll claim you didn't call it (and usually get told by the ref that they're a bunch of doofuses). I'd like to know how to deal with THESE guys.

As for the other kind, our field has an explicit set of rules: If someone doesn't call their hits, light them up. If someone REPEATEDLY doesn't call their hits, tell a ref AND light them up every time. And if they get CAUGHT not calling their hits, they can get banned from the field. Whining to the ref on the first try is considered assuming bad faith, yelling at them is bad sportsmanship, cheating back can get you banned, etc. Makes decisions on that end easy, and they usually get in it for being cheaters anyhow.

--Cassy

These are people who will shoot you, you'll call "out" or "hit", and they'll quietly acknowledge this and then unload on you full auto. And if a ref is around they'll claim you didn't call it (and usually get told by the ref that they're a bunch of doofuses). I'd like to know how to deal with THESE guys.

My dad used to play paintball and he dealt with a lot of players who got a kick out of overshooting dead people. Even though he was already dead, he shot back.

If it were me and they did it repeatedly, I'd (politely) confront them after the game. If they kept it up, I would give them a taste of their own medicine.

I tend to just light them up. If they are consistently cheating, I will tell a ref, but there isn't much a ref can do unless they catch them in the act. And lets face it, a ref can't watch everyone.

I had this discussion with one of the refs at my local game last weekend. He's and older guy, easily in his 50's or 60's, and started off when paintball first started. So he's seen his fair number of cheaters. I'm the kind of guy that shoots semi during a game, and I aim for center mass. But once you start cheating, and I can see you flinching or bbs bouncing off of you, it's full auto to whatever sensitive part of the body I can find. Face, or exposed skin. And I will hose you until you are out. I don't care if you get over shot or not. If you're going to cheat, you're going to pay for it.

^Best way to put it. Refs can't be everywhere at once. I don't usually get the chance to have a skirmish, and when I do there's no refs. (It's not an official field. It's wherever we find a place that's legal to play on.) But If I was in this situation, I'd kindly tell them after the game that they need to call their hits. If they kept cheating, well... I'd unload a 600 round AK magazine where they'd feel it for a week.

Edited by TacticalAK47

I keep shooting until I get the desired response. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I end up getting hit.

Hosing another player down intentionally whether in response to being hosed down yourself or to "make someone call their hits" should be discouraged. It doesn't further the game and will just erode good sportsmanship. Monkey see, monkey do.

If you have an issue with a repeat cheater, get staff involved and get multiple witnesses. If staff won't address cheating problems because they don't want to lose business, then record your story and tell it (truthfully and thoroughly) here and elsewhere. There are probably threads out there regarding cheaters and unresponsive staff.

You look a lot better to staff and your peers when you keep calm and articulate yourself and the other party is some hissing hot mess.

Honestly the way we deal with cheaters is we expell / ban them. This is quite effective, cheating is very rare when no one dares to cheat (very few people have actually had to be banned).

I know the ref and on any given day I know or at least recognize about half the people I play with at the field. The players are a pretty tight group, despite the fact that we're growing in number. The field sponsors a team and one of the things they stress is the importance of good sportsmanship and fair play. Even when the team travels to other fields to play in other team's games, reputation and good sportsmanship is strongly encouraged.

There are incidents from time to time but they are almost always inadvertent. Ie. someone not aware they got hit, or someone getting hosed down because the shooter was not aware they were out. Unless it's happening repeatedly, like someone who has no fire control, and/or is a safety hazard, we pretty much let these slide.

Edited by Shutaro

I don't like to see people from other teams calling each other out. You either call yourself out, a ref calls your out, or your team mate says your hit. I'm with the general consensus on this topic though, you keep shooting until they do and if it continues to be a problem you have an adult convo with the ref AND the offending party.

Get your team to hunt them down and light them up until they yell the safe word..................."HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The only way they will learn, unless you are playing in Brooklyn NY, then you take them into the parking lot and learn em good.

wage peace

Seems like the general consensus is to light them up until they take the hit, and this is what I do. I simply keep shooting until I see their hand come up and they yell "HIT!". If I have to dump a 100rd midcap in their face, then so be it, it's their own fault.

I actually don't light people up if they're in melee range anymore because I ran up behind someone shot them and they didn't cal it so I lit them up. They turned around yelled at me the hit me in the face with the buttstock of the gun. Let me tell you, that was one of the most painful things ever to happen to me.

So... There was this time that a guy's foot was poking out of cover, so I lit him up on the shoe. Funny thing was that he started jumping on the spot (like the ground's lava :w00t2: ), so I just shot even more. He eventually got the message. In the same match, I shot someone in the leg, but he didn't call himself. So when I was walking back to the safe area during the match (I was hit); I told him that he was hit, he called himself afterwards.

I usually don't light them up immediately, I just motion for the ref to come over and say, "Watch this" then shoot the cheater a few more times on semi. The ref then deals with them. If the ref isn't close, knee and neck shots do the trick.