So I recently became the owner of an APS UAR and wanted to paint it. Since I've done clear coat in the past, I decided to try plastidipping the gun instead after painting it.

APSUAR5_zps158f02d7.jpgAPSUAR3_zps5bdb57c4.jpgAPSUAR8_zps18aee1c3.jpg

I did about 3 coats of the clear plastidip spray, on the body it should hold up alright, but on some of the wear points it's not doing too great (IE Top of mags). Worst case scenario you should be able to peel it off and recoat. One can did the whole gun. Apparently, people like to do this to their whole car! It seems a little sensitive to hard tearing, but the paint is only a week old and the dip a few days. Time will tell!

A little about the gun, it's basically a stock UAR. I swapped in a new bucking and sorbo padded it. It's fairly quite, no complaints yet. I added in a MOSFET and a hop up tracer unit from a circuit I did a few years ago (Need to make some edits actually....). Otherwise, like I said, it's a stock gun.

You have to remember that most of a car doesn't see much more physical contact than some dust and rain, unlike a gun. Your UAR looks great, but I think you'll want to go back to a hard paint as opposed to the plastidip. I plastidipped my bumpers and wheels, and it has held up really well, but will come right off if it gets scuffed bad.

I personally really like the UAR; it is one of the best 'out the box' deals on the market. The internals are excellent(except for the motor), and with just a little tweaking it can be made accurate and reliable without a lot of extra money.

I prefer the older version with the battery in the top, but I understand why the redesigned it to put the battery in the stock.

Edited by chibajoe

Yeah, this one has it in the top. Probably balances it a little better, but makes opening it that much more time consuming. I'm actually still having issues getting pince jams with this one. Not sure if it's common with these hop up units or if I need to try a different bucking :/

And I probably won't plastidip any other guns. The rubber on the mag top is already gone and some of the edges aren't doing to great. It'd probably work better on a more basic gun like a shotgun or something.

Yeah, this one has it in the top. Probably balances it a little better, but makes opening it that much more time consuming. I'm actually still having issues getting pince jams with this one. Not sure if it's common with these hop up units or if I need to try a different bucking :/

And I probably won't plastidip any other guns. The rubber on the mag top is already gone and some of the edges aren't doing to great. It'd probably work better on a more basic gun like a shotgun or something.

I wired a charging port to the back, so I don't have to fiddle around with taking the battery in and out. The first gen UARs are very finicky with mags. Mine will only work with the stock mags and some hi-caps; haven't found any mid-caps that will feed reliably in full auto.

*UPDATE*

Don't plastidip your rails or any areas that have edges (Like on a grip. It is a pain to get out of the little cracks properly when it begins to peel away at the edges. However, grips with round surfaces (Like MP5's) would likely be fine as even if it does begin to peel it much easier to remove and replace. Rails on the other hand require peeling a strip from each individual groove.

Just to clear something up, it is a terrible idea to plasti-dip your entire car if you actually care about it. I wouldn't do it to a higher end airsoft rifle either, however yours looks very good.