TheSovietSniper

What do you guys think?

So recently I got a bunch of buddies together on Skype and asked what they thought of airsoft. (I had been playing airsoft with one of them for around 4 years before.) Everyone said "Oh, I think it's cool." So I asked if they wanted to form a team and go to skirmishes, and maybe the occasional MilSim and such. Again, everyone thought that was awesome. I'm trying to organize everything and get everyone else some proper armament so that we don't get decimated, and it's getting to be very expensive and labor intensive. Nobody seems to want to buy their own guns, so instead of getting the RPG-7 I wanted for my loadout, I know am getting two more AK-47s for more people to use.

My concerns with this are:

It's not that I don't have space to own all of this, but my old wooden bedframe on which I lay out my guns "Armory style" is running out of room.

Nobody else wants to pay for their own guns, and whenever I ask if they can get an AK for themselves, they reply with "I'm broke right now, sorry man."

I have to be responsible for maintenance on 15+ guns, some of which I won't even get to use in battle, and some of which already have issues (I.E. my AK from JG has a broken folding stock, so I just keep it underneath, the RPK has a small battery, etc..)

What do you guys think about this situation? I'm not sure what to do.

Are you going to pay for their BBs and field fees as well...? If they actually want to play they should buy their own stuff, especially if you all want to do a few milsim games.

I'm definitely not paying field fees, for 8+ people that gets really expensive if it all comes from one person. I am running a little light on BBs right now, for all 8 magazines for my G3 at 500 BBs a mag, that's 4K. And my 3 different AK mags (900 for one, 600 for the other two) is another 2.1K. I only have 5K BBs left, so I can't even fill my own guns up for the time being.

MAG mid/real caps? You can't exactly train a team for milsim using high caps and newbies are just prone to empty it on the first target they see. Also, if they really are interested they ought to be able to buy their own equipment if at least on some layaway plan from you instead of outright mooching. How old are they anyway?

MAG mid/real caps? You can't exactly train a team for milsim using high caps and newbies are just prone to empty it on the first target they see. Also, if they really are interested they ought to be able to buy their own equipment if at least on some layaway plan from you instead of outright mooching. How old are they anyway?

Oh, you mean they buy the guns and all from me? Sounds good. I have a few I don't use.

We're all between 14-16. (Hence the noobishness.)

At face value, that doesn't sound like a team. They should be financing themselves if they were remotely interested. If they are still living with mom and dad they should have their parents foot the bill. At the least just go play on your own and with the peeps you run into at the fields make a team with them.

They should get a job if they want to play, instead of bumming off you and/or parents. You could always buy guns that they can use, and then buy off you, and then all is good.

They should get a job if they want to play, instead of bumming off you and/or parents. You could always buy guns that they can use, and then buy off you, and then all is good.

True true. But if they bought guns off me, why couldn't they just buy from websites with giftcards or something? Either way it all comes down to their lack of cash.

At face value, that doesn't sound like a team. They should be financing themselves if they were remotely interested. If they are still living with mom and dad they should have their parents foot the bill. At the least just go play on your own and with the peeps you run into at the fields make a team with them.

Yes, I know. They are interested though. I mean if they weren't, would we have sat in a Skype call for 2 hours today and schemed tactics?

Hence my suggestion for a layaway plan. Obviously you're more resourceful than your friends or at least have a better financial backing (parents, job, whatever). Unless you're feeling incredibly generous there's really no point spoiling your friends with free kit. Either sell them your excess guns or buy them new ones which they'll pay for in small increments for a long duration, something that even their finances can handle. You'll find that when they do start to play their eagerness to get more involved in the hobby can increase which could mean them taking up part time jobs to pay you faster and/or buy better stuff.

Your friends should pay for their own gear. If they are interested they should lift a finger and put in some effort to get money to pay for equipment and such. That's a pretty good way to gauge actual interest and drive.

In the meantime maybe you should consider playing without them and meeting experienced players so you have a group to play with.

This sounds like a great way to lose friends.

My suggestions:

1) Get everyone together and go to a field with rental guns. A lot of people are real enthusiastic until they get hit a bunch of times and realize it's not a video game. Beyond that, see if you actually work well as a team.

2) Assuming everyone has a good time and likes being on a team together it's time to get specific about money. You, being more experience can steer them away from deals that are too good to be true and maybe hook them up with some used gear deals. I would not put up my own money or lend my guns and kit to someone who can't replace it if it gets trashed. If you have to go after friends for the money they owe you, they'll start seeing you as a loan shark- not a friend.

3) Figure out who's going to be running this dog and pony show. Teams usually end up being run by the guy whose idea the team is-whether he's good at it or not. Have strength to be able to check your ego and step aside if one of your friends turns out to be better at running things than you are. (Look at the bright side- less cat herding for you!)

Another expense to consider is BDU's, pretty much a requirement for MILSIM unless you are acting as a local milita vs a police force or whatever. I was in the similar position as you a few years ago, luckily I got my friends to buy guns (I introduced 20+ guys to the sport and they all have guns now).

Patience is a virtue (and one hell of a money saver), see if they are really interested first by taking 2-3 at a time to a game to see how much they like it.