Sign in to follow this  
moobicu

$400 budget and need help deciding on a gun.

Thank you for stopping by and helping me out!

Budget for gun only
$400

Criteria for deciding a gun
1. To play at outdoor fields (Unsure of what role, my field limits are 400 FPS with .25g bbs)
2. Shoot as far and accurately as possible (Which is what everyone wants right?)
3. Wouldn't mind spending $50 or so in maintenance/upgrades a year (This is going to be my main gun for at least 3 years)
4. I don't really care about externals.

Three guns that I have had in mind are the CYMA CM048, Magpul Masada and the full metal ICS CXP 16L. I favor the ICS more since you can switch the upper gearbox for CQB FPS limits.

About me
1. New to airsoft
2. Willing to learn
3. Been reading forums/reviews for guns constantly
4. Would love links to any informational threads

I currently own a G&G CM 16 Raider Long and not sure what to do with it. I am possibly converting it for CQB via Matrix Patriot kit and foldable stock or selling it.

Links to specific guns in your response would be awesome!

Well, since it looks like you have that much money; I think that the CYMA and the ICS would be lowballing a tad bit. If you want an AK type AEG, I would suggest a Realsword type 56, LCT AK or VFC AK since they have awesome externals (and okay internals). For M4's, you can't go wrong with G&P, G&G (top tech, not combat machine!) and KWA (special mention: Magpul LM4 AEG; it's simulated recoil rivals the Marui recoil shock).

If you aren't that concerned on externals, you could always nab an ACM/Sportline AEG and overhaul it's internals

Disclaimer: I am a middle school student with pretty much no money, so I have zero firsthand experience; all my information comes from online sources (such as forums and reviews).

...I would suggest a Realsword type 56, LCT AK or VFC AK since they have awesome externals (and okay internals). For M4's, you can't go wrong with G&P, G&G (top tech, not combat machine!) and KWA (special mention: Magpul LM4 AEG; it's simulated recoil rivals the Marui recoil shock).

For an AK...go E&L. "Awesome" externals and solid internals. This variant here:

el_aeg_1101_l.jpg

Shoots 398 on the dot, has real wood laminate and all STEEL components from "real" sources just like Real Sword. And is at the same price as RS' next batch of AEGs.

This one is only 100.00 more than the dBoys Wood and Steel model with again real componentry...

airsoft-el-ak74u-a104-b.jpg

Thank 16kuokhc1. Sounds like anything in this price range performs fine out of the box. I will take a look at those brands you recommended. The G&G GK5C is looking cool though.

G&G GK5c has issues straight out of the box due to defective hop-up assembly. Some mags won't fid. It seems one had to trim excess plastic on a hop up unit.

For $400 budget just for a gun it's simply impossible to go wrong. E&L looks cool, but is still unproven here in the US, so I would recommend LCT AKs that have "NV" (I.e. new version) in their name. FoxAirsoft has the best selection of LCT AKs in the US.

For M4, the choice is almost limitless. I, personally like VFC HK417, but there are countless models from G&P (wired to deans), Krytac, DyTac, and VFC that one can't simply go wrong.

Edited by Berkut76

For an AK...go E&L. "Awesome" externals and solid internals. This variant here:

Shoots 398 on the dot, has real wood laminate and all STEEL components from "real" sources just like Real Sword. And is at the same price as RS' next batch of AEGs.

This one is only 100.00 more than the dBoys Wood and Steel model with again real componentry...

I second the E&L or LCT choice. They get great range if you do decide to go this route make sure to grab a one that is standerd size. ie an AKM or AK-74 as they will get a bit better accuracy than the shorter barrel ones.(Though you could always swap out the barrel if you choose.)

What Berkut said.

Edited by DarkMajor21

After some more browsing, this is what I seem to be some what interested in.

E&L AK A105 AK74N (Beautiful)
E&L AK A102 74N (Beautiful)
KWA KM4 SR10 (Seems dependable)
G&G GK5C (Cool externals!)

Even though issues may arise with the GK5C, I just hope it isn't a major issue and just needs minor adjustments if I buy it.

After some more browsing, this is what I seem to be some what interested in.

E&L AK A105 AK74N (Beautiful)

E&L AK A102 74N (Beautiful)

KWA KM4 SR10 (Seems dependable)

G&G GK5C (Cool externals!)

Even though issues may arise with the GK5C, I just hope it isn't a major issue and just needs minor adjustments if I buy it.

Given these four choices, I, personally would pick KWA KM4 SR10. KWA products are very dependable (maybe the most dependable), great (alhtough, unlicensed) externals. 2GX gearbox is a beast in my option. I don't tinker with internals, but some airsofters complain about proprietary parts. I can't comment on the latter.

E&L is going on ~1.5 year old in the Airsoft market.

The Asians already vetted them out and there is really no need to wait and see. They only do a quarterly batch run, (which they have put out more in 5 quarters than Real Sword has ever had in their life time). If you can get one...get it. They will hold their value and if you beat them up a little they may increase in value with that "used" AK look.

Of your four choices...do not be optimistic. Crap is crap in airsoft and the GK5C has always been crappy. From their poorly designed shipping boxes that results in broken charging handles to the wonky magwell and feed issues.

You can wish in your right hand and poop in your left hand and you can ask yourself...which one fills up faster? The GK5C is a terrible gun if you do not know what your doing/fixing.

I've been getting some mixed responses on the KWA SR10 so my next M4 in question is the VFC brand.

VFC M4ES http://www.evike.com/products/47951/

VFC VR16 http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=17687

Any suggestions into the VFC brand or critiques welcome.

After some more browsing and reading, I have come up with some more guns for anyone to chew through:

G&G TR16
G&G T4
VFC HK417
G&P M4 Viper

Any comments on the guns and suggestions on what I should get are still welcome. The HK417 is slightly outside my budget. Is it worth the extra money?

It depends on who you ask whether an HK417 style airsoft gun is worth the extra $$ or not. Some players will pay extra $$ for looks and others focus on modifications/upgrades/gear/price of admission/etc.

For me, and not that my opinions are particularly better than those of anyone else (but they are though), a 417 is not worth the extra money because the extra cost doesn't make it shoot any better or last longer than other products. It is just looks and for all I know I might get tired of it and sell it at a loss to pick up another M4 anyways.

If you can wait on it, consider a Krytac. While they haven't been out that long their guns have nice features that make them worth the money if they hold up.

After some more browsing and reading, I have come up with some more guns for anyone to chew through:

G&G TR16

G&G T4

VFC HK417

G&P M4 Viper

Any comments on the guns and suggestions on what I should get are still welcome. The HK417 is slightly outside my budget. Is it worth the extra money?

Of all these four, only G&G TR16 will fit your requirements. G&G T4 and G&P M4 Viper are primarily CQB guns with short barrel length. You obviously could field them outdoors, but accuracy and range will be an issue. Furthermore, early batches of G&P M4 Viper were prone to mechanical failures (I think the gears were the culprit). VFC HK417, in my opinion is the best looking of the bunch, but besides higher price, the mags for it are pricey, and I don't think the stanag mags will fit in it.
Since you have settled on M4, there are only few companies left to look at. Krytac is the new kid on the block. Everybody is giving them rave reviews, but long-term reliability is unknown. DyTac is quite popular in Asia and Europe, but tough to find in the US. Airsplat has some in stock.
Now, nobody has mentioned this company so far, but I, personally thing that AirsoftGI FMG series of M4s: http://www.airsoftgi...rt=2a&PLsort=5d are the best M4s out there. They are based on Lonex internals with some cool externals.
Edited by Berkut76

Of all these four, only G&G TR16 will fit your requirements. G&G T4 and G&P M4 Viper are primarily CQB guns with short barrel length. You obviously could field them outdoors, but accuracy and range will be an issue. Furthermore, early batches of G&P M4 Viper were prone to mechanical failures (I think the gears were the culprit). VFC HK417, in my opinion is the best looking of the bunch, but besides higher price, the mags for it are pricey, and I don't think the stanag mags will fit in it.

Since you have settled on M4, there are only few companies left to look at. Krytac is the new kid on the block. Everybody is giving them rave reviews, but long-term reliability is unknown. DyTac is quite popular in Asia and Europe, but tough to find in the US. Airsplat has some in stock.

Now, nobody has mentioned this company so far, but I, personally thing that AirsoftGI FMG series of M4s: http://www.airsoftgi...rt=2a&PLsort=5d are the best M4s out there. They are based on Lonex internals with some cool externals.

Furthermore, early batches of G&P M4 Viper were prone to mechanical failures (I think the gears were the culprit).

Speaking from experience...that issue was in 2008 over six years ago.

Dytac are terrible poor fit and finish. ASGI rebrands are a batch gun...one batch good...another can be bad...don't take the risk. Even if it is by Lonex. The stuff in the FMG is just standard parts...not the special aftermarket Lonex parts.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Sites searched I searched for the lowest price are:
airsplat.com
evike.com
airsoftgi.com
airsoftmegastore.com
airsoftatlanta.com

I think I'm pretty close to picking one! My list at this point is for a good out of the box gun and it's upgradeability for med-long distance shooting. Will modify the gun when I've read enough on airsoftmechanics.com and figured out a plan.

G&G M16 A3 <AT> $238.70 via $310.00 + 23% off

G&P M16A3 <AT> $260.00 (Discount N/A)

ICS M16 A3 RAS <AT> $319.99 (Discount N/A)

G&G GR16 R5 <AT> $284.90 via $370.00 + 23% off