Sign in to follow this  
msearls

very new to airsoft

hello I'm am very new to airsoft. I have only played a few times with rented guns. I have played paintball since the early 90's but want to get into something a little more "realistic". I am looking for an ar15 style all metal aeg. most of my playing will be open field/woods in ranges from very close to rather long. I may occasionally play in some CQB and indoor games as well as travel to some big scenario games. my budget is not unlimited but I am willing to pay what I need to get what I want. I would like to stay below $700 though. I would also like to get a good quality "sniper" rifle in the same price limits as well because my son likes the longer range style on play. the biggest problems I have is that I don't know what companies are high quality and what companies to stay away from. ive looked in the online but still don't know what is quality and what isn't. any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Good gawd Myles...I must ask you to stop making recommendations. You know nothing about Airsoft...that is a Boys LPEG.

Unless you are trying to troll the guy...that thing is for 10 year olds.

It runs on 6 X AA Batteries.

Matt,

Get a nice used AEG from a local dealer/player of repute. That way you can ask questions and he can fix your gun if it acts up.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Good gawd Myles...I must ask you to stop making recommendations. You know nothing about Airsoft...that is a Boys LPEG.
Unless you are trying to troll the guy...that thing is for 10 year olds.
It runs on 6 X AA Batteries.
Matt,
Get a nice used AEG from a local dealer/player of repute. That way you can ask questions and he can fix your gun if it acts up.

I was kidding dude, I know thats an lpeg. sorry for having a sense of humor. but yeah guges is right, or even if you cant I tell this to all my friends who start airsofting is to start off small and if u start to like it more than u spend more money. when I started playing hockey I didnt get the same stick that crosby had I bought a cheap stick to make sure I liked the sport enough. you know what im saying?

Snipers do not necessarily shoot farther than AEGs and have some disadvantages in that they are not versatile I.e. with an M4 style with some choice modifications your son can either do the long range game or do closer stuff.

You could possibly get two of the same AEGs with your budget of $700, for example a pair of VFCs or something.

I was kidding dude, I know thats an lpeg. sorry for having a sense of humor. but yeah guges is right, or even if you cant I tell this to all my friends who start airsofting is to start off small and if u start to like it more than u spend more money. when I started playing hockey I didnt get the same stick that crosby had I bought a cheap stick to make sure I liked the sport enough. you know what im saying?

If you are really kidding with the guy. That is cruel...

Msearls...PM me I have some options for you. And the Sniper gun...its really only a bolt action rifle. Being that this is Airsoft and we all shoot the 6mm ball. A spring gun is not going to have any range advantage in stock form over an AEG. I highly suggest you just get him an inexpensive AEG instead.

Edited by Guges Mk3

Guest alberty

While humor is good, make sure the user you are trying to joke with will actually understand that you're joking. So, telling a newbie to get something that you wouldn't actually recommend wouldn't end up being funny...

There's lots of fun to be had in working a bolt action (sniper) rifle but if your son has the impression that it would be anything like they're depicted in video games, he'll be sorely disappointed. You might get a sniper rifle to perform above the average AEG but can only be maximized with a certain style of play (mainly stalking and getting in uncomfortable places) which most will find to be excruciatingly boring.

With regards to brand selection, it can be confusing because even good brands have that one or two off products or a gem from an otherwise bad brand. But for ARs you can start with G&P assuming you're not after recoi shock AEGs or GBBRs.

Edited by renegadecow

If you would like the option of doing CQB with a field style gun (CQB typically has a 350 fps limit while field has 400) you can get an AEG that shoots 400 with a relatively long inner barrel and get a separate hopup/barrel system that has a shorter barrel. Swapping from the longer barrel to the shorter would decrease your fps and energy level to CQB levels (so long as you are not using heavy BBs in the shorter setup).

Or get a polar star if you have your own air rig.

Guest alberty

Good makes for aegs include kwa Daniel defense and if you have the funds by all means go out and go polerstar it's the best possible make Idk anything about snipers but I would idvise getting a sniper and then using a tokio Mario no7gbb

"Daniel Defense" is not a manufacturer of airsoft AEGs.

While Polarstar setups are nice, they are not for everyone. You need to consider if the user wants to use a remote line or not.

If you don't know anything about sniper rifles, you should not recommend them unless you have more knowledge of them to share.

What's a "no7gbb"?

There are a lot of options for a full metal AR-15 style gun. Some good brands of full metal M4's include G&P, VFC, and Krytac. All of these companies make guns under $400 so you will still have $300+ to spend on other items, like eye protection, spare BB's, mags, and batteries, and tactical gear.

Ok smart guy (aliberty) you clearly know squat Daniel defense do make airsoft aegs do you know how I know because I own one also I obviously ment Tokyo marui mp7. He asked about good performance weapons and I gave him one polerstar and I know it MIGHT not be for him but it is the best make so stop trying to be a smart guy and actually learn your facts be for writing down stuff that's apsolute s***

Guest alberty

Ok smart guy (aliberty) you clearly know squat Daniel defense do make airsoft aegs do you know how I know because I own one also I obviously ment Tokyo marui mp7. He asked about good performance weapons and I gave him one polerstar and I know it MIGHT not be for him but it is the best make so stop trying to be a smart guy and actually learn your facts be for writing down stuff that's apsolute s***

- "Daniel Defense" is a maker of real firearms and firearm accessories. They do not produce airsoft AEGs themselves.

What are you mistaking is Daniel Defense-licensed airsoft products. For example, the company Socom Gear has M4-based AEGs that have Daniel Defense replica externals with licensed Daniel Defense trademarks. Although you are seeing genuine licensed Daniel Defense trademarks on the AEG, that does not mean that Daniel Defense itself produced the AEG.

Some other OEMs of Daniel Defense-licensed airsoft AEGs/products include Echo 1, WE (their AEG line), Tokyo Marui, and Madbull.

If you believe I am still incorrect, please share with me some product links and pictures of the gun in your possession. I am sure the product pages will give us more information about who the OEM of your product is, and where the country of manufacture was.

Also, did your gun, the box, or the manual have the phrases "Made in China", "Made in Hong Kong", or "Made in Taiwan" anywhere, in print or on a sticker? Daniel Defense firearm products are made in the USA.

- Sorry, it was not obvious to me that your typo of "no7gbb" was meant to say MP7. That is why I asked you.

- Why are you stating that I need to learn my facts? I am experienced in Polarstar usage, as I used to own 3 Polarstar setups personally. I never said that a Polarstar option sucks, and the description of "best make" is subjective. Everyone has a different opinion on what the "best make" of airsoft replica is.

Edited by alberty