to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Mylesgoldman

Will the APS UAR be discontinued soon?

Its just a theory I thought of before, it seems like every BIG airsoft website gives them away in mystery boxes, they're dropping in price. I always hear complaints about the magwell, the spring change doesnt work correctly... so what do you guys think?

Guest alberty

I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued it. The UAR really disappoints. I mean, the obvious question is why not just buy an AUG? or F2000? both looks worlds better than the UAR.

It's a product that combines a lot of features a lot of buyers whine about not having in other guns, resulting in a mediocre product with a lot of features in total which you would think be top-selling:

- "I want a gun that isn't an M4 but uses M4 mags."

- "I want a bullpup gun that isn't a P90, AUG, F2000, TAR-21, or L85/86, so I will be unique."

- "I want it to come with full rails all over it so I can attach my optics, foregrip, rail covers, and bipod."

- "I want it to be ambidextrous because I'm a lefty or I need the firing controls very much when switching sides."

- "I want it to have a quick change spring guide, but I also want to be compatible with standard parts."

- "I want all of that for less than $200."

So the plastic body on it doesn't feel that great, it doesn't always work with a lot of different magazines, the trigger pull is ridiculously long, and the performance isn't that great out of the box. You encounter a few proprietary parts on the internals too.

So if it has some unfavorable reviews and low sales on it, retailers may try something like promotions, price cuts, or mystery boxes to help get rid of its excess in stock.

Edited by alberty

Its just a theory I thought of before, it seems like every BIG airsoft website gives them away in mystery boxes, they're dropping in price. I always hear complaints about the magwell, the spring change doesnt work correctly... so what do you guys think?

Also what is out there is the existing stock. They stopped producing them months back...

• Upvote 1

Alberty I've played for about a year and seen lots of different guns on the field, but I've never seen a UAR. They're almost unheard of here.

Good design theory is to always have a starting point, ie. start with some platform that works well and start making modifications until you get what you like. Never start from scratch (in real life) unless you absolutely have to, you end up reinventing the wheel.

It sounds like they failed to execute because in the end, people want a gun that is reliable and performs well too.

Guest alberty
It sounds like they failed to execute because in the end, people want a gun that is reliable and performs well too.

They also want it to be under $150-200, have quick change spring, etc...sometimes the buyers' wants leads to losses in quality and reliability in the pursuit of features. I was trying to say that the APS UAR seems to boast all of the features that buyers would like to see in a gun, but like you said it was like a poor execution of the final product.

yeah... I don't think its geting discontinued... and supply of the models and spare parts are still plentiful.
but the sniper varent is still a no show and thats something I was considering.

its an OK AEG... issues with them are minor.
A few friends have them and feild them fairly often without complaint.

yeah... I don't think its geting discontinued... and supply of the models and spare parts are still plentiful.

but the sniper varent is still a no show and thats something I was considering.

its an OK AEG... issues with them are minor.

A few friends have them and feild them fairly often without complaint.

I doubt they are "actively" producing...considering what makes a plant make items is demand...and the demand is not that high..

well yes..... no... everything is in batches.... there is no such continuous production line of any one airsoft model.
but batches are done every few months to every few years pending on demaind.

But in the last 12 months... many spare parts for the UAR have been made avalable... and thats something commonly not done to something that has been discontinued.

I will be visiting them in Jan... and I can directly question them on these details ;)

UAR is still far better than the PDR and that only out sold the UAR because of brand name. lol.

Edited by The Insider
  • Upvote 1

Gonna be on sale for $65 this Sunday on AirsoftGI. I don't know why, but I still get emails from them even though I've never bought anything and haven't been paying attention to airsoft for the past few months while looking for a job.

Related note, job interview tomorrow. If I get it, hey, I can spend $65 this weekend on a UAR.

well yes..... no... everything is in batches.... there is no such continuous production line of any one airsoft model.

but batches are done every few months to every few years pending on demaind.

But in the last 12 months... many spare parts for the UAR have been made avalable... and thats something commonly not done to something that has been discontinued.

I will be visiting them in Jan... and I can directly question them on these details ;)

UAR is still far better than the PDR and that only out sold the UAR because of brand name. lol.

Many of those "spare" parts is often left over components from batch runs. It is not very cost effective to fire up the die casters and just run 200 parts of a doo-hickey.

Nothing wrong with improving a product. I had one (v1) for a while, and after some modding it was a very handy little AEG. It's a shame the new version doesn't have a lower rail, since the "hump" doesn't serve much purpose beyond battery storage.

SDC10766.JPG

Thats cool! I never hated the look of the gun I just found it impractical. Did you dremel out a space in the back of the magwell to fit the back of the m4 mag?

I think it's unfortunate that APS couldn't quite get it quite right with the UAR. It's a great idea, and one of the few airsoft guns out there that isn't a copy of a RS gun. Unfortunately, it seems airsoft players want copies, not originality. It also didn't help that the gun wouldn't work with most standard mags, felt like a toy, and has that weird trigger.

It's obvious that APS had to make too many compromises in order to hit a certain price point, and that, more than anything is probably what will ultimately sink the gun. It's a shame, too, since the UAR is a very innovative product.

Guest alberty

Oh hey, ASGI is putting it on sale again. Doorbuster for Black Friday. Which starts at midnight on Thanksgiving, I think. $80. Doesn't say if it's V1 or V2 in the email.

For $80, I would guess it's probably the "V1" again.

Most all the issues on the UAR could be solved with a couple quick tweaks. I had one from a trade and it really was not a bad gun. The magwell problem requires removing a little plastic and the trigger had an adjustment screw to take the slack out. It's just an AK gearbox in there with an AK trigger. As far as a battery goes just get good stick or a PEQ box.

Alas, people just want more M4's...

I think that's the problem with APS as a company.

I've dealt with two of their AKs.

they have good ideas but they're really poorly carried out that it ends up being a negative.

to top it all, their fitment is so bad, they won't work with any other magazines, and it only works 20% of the time even with their own magazines.

I can see them being one of the upper tier manufacturers, they only need a little bit more improvement. but for right now they're pretty darn bad.

That is how they stay in business...they hook all the people that think they "will" improve with something else and then take your money going "hahah...sucker" you bought more crap. But, here is our next offering...

Edited by Guges Mk3

yeah....thats what prompted me to buy two guns from them.

the first one was so bad but supposedly they had "improved" it in a later variant

of which I had a chance to buy in a boneyard deal that was only missing the rear sight.

unbeknownst to me it was also missing its capability to propel 6mm BBs.

but hey, their wood was pretty well done!