to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
zab1211

Questions about AEG upgrading

hello,

I am relativly new to airsoft and am seeking clairification and guidance for a few questions that I have. I have the G&G CM16 MOD 0 AEG rifle

It is stock and the specs are: full metal type 2 gearbox, High torque long type motor.

My current inner barrel is stock and measures 330mm long. I would like to get a tight bore inner barrel (6.03mm) that is 455mm long.

I plan on getting a mock suppressor to attach to my gun to cover up the longer barrel.

My questions are, firstly, Is this set up possible with the stock motor, gear box, etc.?

If it would not work, what upgrade parts would be needed to make it work?

How much longer should my suppressor be in relation to the inner barrel?

Are there barrel spacers or stabilizers that would go around the inner barrel and fit snug inside the suppressor to help keep the longer barrel in place better, or is this not really an issue?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and give feedback. All coments and recomendations are greatly apperciated.

My questions are, firstly, Is this set up possible with the stock motor, gear box, etc.?

Yes, barrel length does not affect the motor or gear in any way.
If it would not work, what upgrade parts would be needed to make it work?

Airsoft guns are BLOW guns. Do not equate Firearm physics on airsoft guns. It does not apply,.

How much longer should my suppressor be in relation to the inner barrel?

Do not commit the new player mistake in thinking that a longer barrel will give you more "performance". If you don't understand the concept of blowguns. Do not make uninformed upgrades. Your AEG is design to use a 330mm barrel and NOT a 455mm barrel. You will definitely LOSE velocity with a longer barrel and may suffer a bit in accuracy too.
Are there barrel spacers or stabilizers that would go around the inner barrel and fit snug inside the suppressor to help keep the longer barrel in place better, or is this not really an issue?

Not an issue...

Edited by Guges Mk3

Going from a 330mm barrel to a 455mm barrel, you will need a new cylinder. Specifically a Type 0 non-ported cylinder.

As for what suppressor you would need, at least 125mm because math. (455-330=125) You can go longer if you wish.

I should have been more specific when I asked how much longer the suppressor should be to the inner barrel, I meant what would be a good difference to have between the two.

Ex: a 150mm suppressor would give me 25mm from the end of the inner barrel to the end of the supperssor. Or a 190mm suppressor would give me a 65mm difference. I know having the inner barrel length exceed the outer barrel length or running flush is not good, however I was unsure if say, 25mm is sufficient. I was simply asking for a general length difference that would be optimal.

The 330mm barrel is a difficult length to find an aftermarket barrel with this exact length. Would it be alright to put the standard m4 length barrel (363mm) in without changing the cylinder?

Does anyone know what bore the stock barrel is for my gun, I don't have a set of calipers to accuratly measure.

Thanks

A stock M4 length should be fine with the stock cylinder. Bore wise, your barrel is likely around 6.08mm as that is typical of stock. I know G&G give their guns stock 6.04mm "tight bores" but I do not believe that applies to CM's.

25mm of play is probably a good idea. You can always go longer though, if you want.

If you've never opened your gearbox, it's an important thing that can help everything inside. First of all if you haven't already, clean out the gearbox of that Hong Kong lube crap. Next makes sure you shim your gear set, this improves the life, rps (a little), and sound. Shimming is a long process that can't be rushed, it is more like an art. There are many useful guides on YouTube and forums that will assist you. As for re lubing you gb, from what I've heard don't ever use firearm lube. I just buy Teflon lube because it is cheap at my Airsoft store, but honestly you can't really go wrong with Airsoft lubes, they're just lube.

Edited by MrGearbox

Guest alberty

If you've never opened your gearbox, it's an important thing that can help everything inside. First of all if you haven't already, clean out the gearbox of that Hong Kong lube crap. Next makes sure you shim your gear set, this improves the life, rps (a little), and sound. Shimming is a long process that can't be rushed, it is more like an art. There are many useful guides on YouTube and forums that will assist you. As for re lubing you gb, from what I've heard don't ever use firearm lube. I just buy Teflon lube because it is cheap at my Airsoft store, but honestly you can't really go wrong with Airsoft lubes, they're just lube.

Make sure the user doesn't look up the wrong kind of shimming guide.

There are many old shimming guides which start by going at the spur gear first, and that isn't mechanically good. Suggest a method that starts with bevel gear to pinion gear relationship.

A stock M4 length should be fine with the stock cylinder. Bore wise, your barrel is likely around 6.08mm as that is typical of stock. I know G&G give their guns stock 6.04mm "tight bores" but I do not believe that applies to CM's.

25mm of play is probably a good idea. You can always go longer though, if you want.

Would 73mm difference between the length of the inner barrel vs the outer barrel be too much? Or would it be best to get a slightly smaller mock suppressor and only have a 33mm difference between the two. I am going between a 407mm and a 363mm inner barrel and cant quite decide which would be best; noting that the stock barrel is 330mm, and don't want to have to change any internal parts out.

Thanks