Broken Gearbox, Whats the Fix?

Hey guys! I am just wondering, what do you think the best Version 2 Gearbox for a M4 is? That would be in terms of price and reliability. My last one is broken (no idea why) and I need one that wont get stripped, no matter what. Actually, I'm not even 100% sure its a new gearbox I need! The problem is that my Semi-Auto setting fires Full-Auto. Do I need a Gearbox or just some new Gears?

What is best may not fit.

You will need to provide details, pictures and perhaps video for us to assist you. No one can read minds, so we will need this detailed to assist.

Maker of the M4?

What voltage are you using?

How did it break?

Where did it break?

• Upvote 1

This isn't the transmission on an automatic. You can replace parts as needed to get it working properly again. Doing it yourself however needs some knowledge on working with internals so if you have no clue how the insides of your gun works, best start learning now or pay somebody to fix it for you.

• Downvote 1

Ok thanks <AT>renegadecow. And <AT>Guges Mk3, sorry I didnt know you needed that much detail. Maker- King Arms, Voltage- 9.6V, How did it break- I currently don't know it seems like it just kind of got worn out progressively. Sometimes it would slip and fire auto when I was on semi, eventually (Now) it wouldnt even fire semi. Cause- Like I previously stated, I don't know, there wasnt a definitive moment when it "broke" persay.

Broken Gearbox, Whats the Fix?

Hey guys! I am just wondering, what do you think the best Version 2 Gearbox for a M4 is? That would be in terms of price and reliability. My last one is broken (no idea why) and I need one that wont get stripped, no matter what. Actually, I'm not even 100% sure its a new gearbox I need! The problem is that my Semi-Auto setting fires Full-Auto. Do I need a Gearbox or just some new Gears? Details are as follows- Maker- King Arms, Voltage- 9.6V, How it broke- I currently don't know it seems like it just kind of got worn out progressively. Sometimes it would slip and fire auto when I was on semi, eventually (Now) it wouldnt even fire semi. What caused it to break- Like I previously stated, I don't know, there wasnt a definitive moment when it "broke" persay. please Help! thanks.

Your problem sounds like a worn cut-off lever. It catches the teeth on your sector gear to stop the flow of electricity to the motor every time your gun cycles once in semi. If it is too worn, it may not catch the gear tooth and won't cut off the motor. If this is the case, all you need to do is buy a replacement one.

• Upvote 1

Seriously? A down vote for telling you that you don't need to have the whole gearbox replaced?!? Pardon me if I didn't want you to burn your money when your problem may be fixed for as little as $12 and a few minutes on YouTube. Or did you not get the analogy about automatic transmissions on automobiles?

• Upvote 1

Guest alberty

Your problem does sound like a worn down or damaged cut-off lever to me. If not the cut-off lever itself, it could be pieces related to its movement, such as your selector plate or the spring that pushes the cut-off lever. Check out these things online and find tutorials that explain them visually.

Seriously? A down vote for telling you that you don't need to have the whole gearbox replaced?!? Pardon me if I didn't want you to burn your money when your problem may be fixed for as little as $12 and a few minutes on YouTube. Or did you not get the analogy about automatic transmissions on automobiles?

Yeah, this is why I don't like voting things like that, such as on reddit. Instead of receiving a constructive response or getting asked for explanation, you can just get a big -1. I would prefer that a person who doesn't agree could share with me his or her opinion on what they think is wrong, instead of just trying to down-vote the comment.

Edited by alberty
  • Upvote 1

well if you want a the best new Gearbox look at retro arms, they're a bit pricey but they will never break, as for the issue, it doesn't seem like a gearbox shell issue. You should listen to their advice. also if you have a local airsoft shot you can go to, if they have nice employees they will show you whats wrong, and what you need to fix. just bring your gearbox opened.