So, I'm looking to upgrade my G&G CM16 Raider Long. I'm looking for a higher RPS and better accuracy. I'm thinking with going with a Magic Box Miracle Barrel and a Madbull M110 spring, also I'm replacing the entire front end because it's extremely odd, new outer barrel and Rails *IM GOING TO, NOT NOW!*. Are my part picks sound? And is the Stock gearbox good? if not, I might get a new gearbox altogether. Anything else I should replace? Thanks for your time. So, JUST a couple internals, not everything at once.

-ZealousAirsoft3r

Edited by ZealousAirsoft3r

If you are going to replace the entire front end, plus the gearbox, it would be financially advisable to sell your gun and buy one that much more closely resembles what you like. By the time you replace all those parts, you are going to have spent as much as, or more than, a new gun.

A g&g raider was my first gun, and I did the same thing to that gun, and I still own it. If you want to upgrade rps really cheaply and easily, buy a gear set. SHS makes good gear sets that are relatively cheap, 16:1 would be good. High rps and accuracy don't normally go together. As for the barrel, I have never heard or that company although other people have. I always stick to madbull on my lesser high rps builds and promethian barrels on my super accurate. 6.03 is a great barrel size. You should consider an r-hop, they're fantastic but unless they're done very well (close to perfect) it's not really worth it, but then again you can get amazing results.

Guest alberty

The stock gearbox is fine to use in upgrading. I would not advise in buying a whole new gearbox to drop in, as it's expensive to do that.

Start with the basics, like learning how to better tune your AEG's gearbox, and use a good 9.6v NiMH battery. After that consider switching to Deans connectors, which will give you a boost in trigger response and rate of fire, in addition to other benefits.

After that, then consider more gearbox like like an aftermarket gear set in a different ratio, like 16:1 or 13:1 to get you more speed in a balanced sort of way. Pair that new gear set with a high torque motor.

If you don't understand those terms, please do some research and ask questions; don't jump straight to a shopping cart or screwdriver.

If you would like to replace the front end, also be advised that it can cost you a good amount of money. Also, you may or may not also have to acquire a different outer barrel to go along with a new front end, because the G&G outer barrels have the triangle front sight built into it (non-removable).

Guest alberty

Thanks, I do understand that, and Im getting a 16:1 Lonex gear set and a Lonex high speed motor. I do understand the amout of money for a new front end, and I found a good APS one for $80. Nothing fancy like Keymod, but fine for me.

You can use the "Quote" button to directly reply to someone in an eaiser way.

If you're going with a high speed gear set, I recommend you pair it with a high torque motor instead. When you go down to a lower gear ratio like that, there will be more work needed on the motor. A high speed motor isn't the best choice for a great trigger response as they're better in their continuous, full-auto mode of shooting due to spin-up times and other factors like torque.

Also, if you go high speed gear set + high speed motor, there's a higher chance that you will encounter something breaking like your piston, unless you have proper angle-of-engagement correction done and something like sorbo padding. These will help reduce the chance you get pre-engagement which strips the teeth of your piston, and also the padding helps reduce the stress from impact since you'd be increasing your cycle speed so much.

You may also consider short-stroking, which helps reduce or eliminating the chance of piston stripping in a high speed setup.

Guest alberty

Huh, alright, so would a high torque and speed be good? or just high torque? Should I replace the Spring? sorry for all the questions, but I want to be thourogh before I spend some money

What a lot of people doing today are using a high speed gear set (13:1 or 16:1 ratio) with a high torque motor. But, there are different methods and you can choose whatever setup you would like.

Replacing the spring is up to you. What do you see as a need to change the spring?

It's okay to ask questions and research it. I encourage that instead of wasting money on parts you don't end up using.

You mean medium power spring? yeah. It's all dependent on what ROF you want to achieve. Generally speaking, spring encounter premature engagement at the following rps.

M100: 30rps

M110: 35rps

M120: 40rps

Use that as a guide (not fact) in your spring choice.

What a lot of people doing today are using a high speed gear set (13:1 or 16:1 ratio) with a high torque motor. But, there are different methods and you can choose whatever setup you would like.

Replacing the spring is up to you. What do you see as a need to change the spring?

It's okay to ask questions and research it. I encourage that instead of wasting money on parts you don't end up using.

I used a SHS high speed motor with a 13:1 and a m130. It worked because the SHS motors are torque "y". My 9.6 couldn't run it but an 11.1 ran it pretty well. It wasn't very efficient but it was really fast.

A dual sector gear would be best with a high torque and a m170-80 spring. You would get maybe 50-60 rounds per second with a 10:1 gear set with it. You need a lot of experience to do a long lasting dual sector gear set. You need to open you gb after every game and clean/re lube too.(like whole day worth of games)

Guest alberty

I used a SHS high speed motor with a 13:1 and a m130. It worked because the SHS motors are torque "y". My 9.6 couldn't run it but an 11.1 ran it pretty well. It wasn't very efficient but it was really fast.

A dual sector gear would be best with a high torque and a m170-80 spring. You would get maybe 50-60 rounds per second with a 10:1 gear set with it. You need a lot of experience to do a long lasting dual sector gear set. You need to open you gb after every game and clean/re lube too.(like whole day worth of games)

Well yes, I already agreed that the SHS high speed motor has a strong magnet and torque, but it's not the optimal choice. Like you described, it's not efficient trying to pull a heavy spring with that setup (HS motor + HS gears) and you had to use an 11.1v lipo battery. That should already indicate to you that it's not ideal, could be a lot of heat up. I know the SHS high speed gets really hot easily.

A DSG setup can be used efficiently. If you run a "low speed" DSG setup, it's very efficient and won't need an every-game re-opening.

Low speed DSG? Man, if I were to put all that time into a DSG why would I want it to be under 40 rps? :a-laugh:

On a more serious note, Yes a DSG can be used efficiently. But from what it sounds, it does not seem like you have a lot of actual work time on a AEG gb. (don't worry I haven't either, I just chairsoft a lot) So that route would not be a very good one, because of all the modifications you have to do to make it actually work right. In my opinion A set of SHS 13:1 gears, and a SHS or ZCI high torque motor would be fine for your setup. As for range the Madbull inner barrel is great, probably on par or better than a Lonex, In my experience.

Well yes, I already agreed that the SHS high speed motor has a strong magnet and torque, but it's not the optimal choice. Like you described, it's not efficient trying to pull a heavy spring with that setup (HS motor + HS gears) and you had to use an 11.1v lipo battery. That should already indicate to you that it's not ideal, could be a lot of heat up. I know the SHS high speed gets really hot easily.

A DSG setup can be used efficiently. If you run a "low speed" DSG setup, it's very efficient and won't need an every-game re-opening.

What is the point of a dsg, if your going to run it slow? Wouldn't it be more reliable to just use a regular sector gear so you don't have to do all the extra modifications and run a really high spring? Also I'm not sure a dsg can run slow... You really have to have a HT motor, a very high rating spring to get some decent feet per second and some upgraded piston and cylinder. How would you make it slow, I really want to know? I can't think of how would could do it, I must be missing something. I've never actually seen anyone do one either. Edited by MrGearbox

Guest alberty

What is the point of a dsg, if your going to run it slow? Wouldn't it be more reliable to just use a regular sector gear so you don't have to do all the extra modifications and run a really high spring? Also I'm not sure a dsg can run slow... You really have to have a HT motor, a very high rating spring to get some decent feet per second and some upgraded piston and cylinder. How would you make it slow, I really want to know? I can't think of how would could do it, I must be missing something. I've never actually seen anyone do one either.

Brill of Brill Armory has done many low speed DSG builds for the efficiency factor, conservative and reliable. You can watch some videos on YouTube of techs discussing this advantage. I don't think you need an upgraded piston and cylinder to use a DSG setup. You can usually use any typical piston of your choice and do the necessary short-stroking to match your DSG.

As a generic example, you could have a 40~ rps DSG setup and it's more reliable/efficient than pushing an SSG setup to 40 rps~.

Here is a demo video of one such build: http://youtu.be/IcA-Mhi7v6U

Low speed DSG? Man, if I were to put all that time into a DSG why would I want it to be under 40 rps? :a-laugh:

On a more serious note, Yes a DSG can be used efficiently. But from what it sounds, it does not seem like you have a lot of actual work time on a AEG gb. (don't worry I haven't either, I just chairsoft a lot) So that route would not be a very good one, because of all the modifications you have to do to make it actually work right. In my opinion A set of SHS 13:1 gears, and a SHS or ZCI high torque motor would be fine for your setup. As for range the Madbull inner barrel is great, probably on par or better than a Lonex, In my experience.

I have spent a lot of time with gearbox work. I've never personally went for a low speed DSG setup just because of the cost of a good DSG setup (good gear set), something you don't want to cheap out on. I instead usually go for cheap SHS 13:1 gear sets, whatever high torque motor I can get, and be happy with something moderate around 20-25 rps as a good medium between what's considered "high speed" and "low speed" by SSG standards.