Sign in to follow this  
calvinliang

AEG vs. GBB thread sizes

So I've been looking at rails for my GBB. I read that between GBBs and AEGs different barrel nuts are required. What is different exactly? Would a URX work between the two since the only dimension I really need to worry about is the tread sizes right? I should mention that I have a g&p woc which I believe to be real steel spec(?)

Edited by CaptCalvin

Guest alberty

The threading between "airsoft metric" and "real steel" spec are different when it comes to receiver threading and barrel nut threading. The rail/handguard itself should probably work between both types of specs as long as you have the right barrel nut/receiver threading matching together.

I don't know what threading a G&P GBBR receivers uses and I wonder. I know G&P AEG M4 receivers have a spec that is different than both airsoft metric and real...I wonder if it carries over or not.

The thing is urx isn't really mounted on a barrel nut. It threads directly onto the reciever. What made it even more confusing is that the description says that it works with both aeg and gbb. So now I have to look for rails that specify that its wa spec?

This is the rail I've been looking at:

http://www.combatgearing.com/bd-kac-urx-iii-125inch-rail-handguard-for-aeggbb-bk-p-8952.html?cPath=671_618_619

Edited by CaptCalvin

Guest alberty

The thing is urx isn't really mounted on a barrel nut. It threads directly onto the reciever. What made it even more confusing is that the description says that it works with both aeg and gbb. So now I have to look for rails that specify that its wa spec?

This is the rail I've been looking at:

http://www.combatgearing.com/bd-kac-urx-iii-125inch-rail-handguard-for-aeggbb-bk-p-8952.html?cPath=671_618_619

Hm, can you confirm that it does not use a separate-able barrel nut? From the pictures, it looks like it uses a barrel nut like most freefloat rail systems do. And if it claims to be compatible for both AEG and GBB, I would guess that it includes 2 barrel nuts, one standard for standard "airsoft metric" like in AEGs, and one for "real steel spec" like in most GBBRs.

Of course yes, you also have to find out what kind of spec the G&P GBBR is using too.

The rail itself is what is threaded onto the receiver. That nut you see is actually threaded to the rail and is tightened to hold the barrel to the receiver and to prevent the rail from rotating. Kinda hard to explain, you can watch urx videos on youtube if you like. Not entirely sure if this replica replicates that but seeing as how I can't see any inner threads on that nut I'm assuming it is. So now you can see why I'm confused. How does a rail that threads directly onto the receiver work for both GBB and AEG? It's not like you can change the thread size...

Guest alberty

I'm late now, but I got to look up some videos online of real URX installations and I now understand what you were referring to in that the barrel nut is sort of fixed with the whole handguard/rail.

With that in mind I can't imagine it having provisions to quickly switch between threading specs. I would assume that the claim of fitting both AEG and GBB may mean GBBs with AEG spec threading.

Guest alberty

Thinking back though, I think some VFC M4 models come with RIS that is URX style. I remember that you can unscrew 2 small hex screws or something, and then you can unscrew the whole handguard/rail, leaving behind the barrel nut on your upper receiver.

I think that in airsoft they made the barrel nut removable as for ease of manufacturing and installation.

I don't know about the exact model you're looking at though.