Sign in to follow this  
vxcheese

First AEG?

Hello,

I've been into airsoft for about a year now, and believe it or not all of my guns have been GBB's, so I learned the hard way..

Anyway, Christmas is coming around the corner and I want to know what a good AEG would be. I prefer MP5 styled guns, I'll go with a FAL, MP5, any compact SIG rifle, and AK's. The reason M4's aren't listed is because M4's are way too common and I want something other than what everyone runs. I like to be really, really fast (I run a belt setup, rarely a small chest rig). Currently I'm using a KJW KP08 5.1 Hi-Capa and a HFC M11A1. I saw a MP5-styled gun, it looked like a SIG 552 influenced MP5, does anyone know what it is? My budget is no higher than $160, but I will upgrade internals later, so that's not that big of a deal.

Thanks.

Not gonna get much quality out of a $160 gun. It will take lots of money to make it something decent that you could otherwise just save up for and buy. You get what you pay for in airsoft.

However, if you really want to spend your money now, JG and Cyma both have some AK's that are alright in your price range. Also there are a couple Cyma or Umarex umbrellaed sportline MP5s that may also be in your budget.

JG also makes a FAL and a Sig. Also Classic Army makes a sportline Sig.

Pictures would help us identify your gun as well!

Edited by UfoBoat

Guest alberty

I saw a MP5-styled gun, it looked like a SIG 552 influenced MP5, does anyone know what it is?

I think you are thinking of the "GSG-522". That is OEM by CYMA and is essentially an MP5K with a different look.

If that wasn't the model, then maybe you saw something funky like an ICS MP5 (concept version?) or whatever it's called.

I agree with UfoBoat that your price range is a little low, I could give you some pros and cons about the models you are interested IMO. I upgrade all my stuff so I wont go too much into detail about internals. Mp5's are a good due to their compact size. The best one IMO are the VFC ones. Since their licensed my Umarex they're the only ones you can get in the US. Some Cons to the MP5 is the hicaps only hold 200, and battery space is limited in the collapse-able stock versions. Lower end versions of the mp5 are pretty bad. The FAL is a good gun and they make a clone of the Ca version which may be in your budget. I have owned a CA Fal RIS with the folding stock and it was a very nice gun externally. The mags are large(but hold alot)and will need a larger mag pouch. Also the pistol grip is very large so if you have small to medium hands it might be uncomfortable to hold. The stock is also long and you feel like your holding the gun further away from you which may feel uncomfortable as well. All in all I really liked the FAL, if you get one, get the full stock version so you have plenty of battery space. The only decent sig to get is a ICS, or G&G the ICS. I have had the SIG551 and it was a nice gun and had cool features. The 552 sufferers from a lack of battery storage which makes battery fitment hard. JG sigs are pretty cheap externally and I have seen alot break. The mags have that snap feature which is cool, but makes it hard to put into mag pouches. I would say in your budget get an AK they're are alot of affordable ones out there that you can internally mod into very good guns. They have alot of models to choose from, and the mags hold alot of rounds.

Edited by Centurion

http://www.evike.com/products/50532/

Slightly beyond your budget, but it's an old Cyma MP5 with that fancy top rail and front end on it. They've got an MP5K version for $5 less.

If you get an AK, don't get a JG. Get a dboys. JG uses the TM style, Dboys use the VFC style and are full steel. Except, possibly, the charging handle. Not sure on that, though. Some Cymas use the VFC style, too. The CM040, CM045, CM048, and CM050, and all their lettered variants.

As for the Sig, you can get a JG one at Airsplat for $101 plus shipping with their XXXMas coupon.

I was talking to my friend about what I could do. How well do those GHK drop-in kits for M4's perform? Do they shoot under 350? Do they make different models for different gearbox sizes? It would be a lot more convienent to have my gun be ran by gas. How much would it cost to completely build a M4 without internals, then add the drop-in kit? I wouldn't mind spending up to $160 for building the M4 then later spend $100 for the drop in kit. Would this be a good idea?

I was talking to my friend about what I could do. How well do those GHK drop-in kits for M4's perform? Do they shoot under 350? Do they make different models for different gearbox sizes? It would be a lot more convienent to have my gun be ran by gas. How much would it cost to completely build a M4 without internals, then add the drop-in kit? I wouldn't mind spending up to $160 for building the M4 then later spend $100 for the drop in kit. Would this be a good idea?

Don't get the GHK kit. The build materials are weak and the recoil will shake your gun apart. They only make one model, and that is for the M4. If you want a decent GBBR you will be paying about twice as much as an entry-level AEG.

Don't get the GHK kit. The build materials are weak and the recoil will shake your gun apart. They only make one model, and that is for the M4. If you want a decent GBBR you will be paying about twice as much as an entry-level AEG.

Are you sure? Everywhere I've seen this gbbr kit, the reviews were positive. If the gun is gas, I wouldn't mind it being an M4 (as long as the handguard is not railed, I don't like RIS units).

Guest alberty

What's a good, compact, lipo ready AK that shoots under 350 FPS and 30 RPS?

1. Almost any AEG can use a 7.4v lipo right out of the box. "Lipo ready" is just a marketing term and rarely any models are truly able to handle an 11.1v lipo battery for prolonged usage without modification.

2. Under 350 FPS there may be a few options, but most shoot higher. You can just consider changing the spring in the AEG if you need it to meet a certain field limit.

3. Almost no AK AEG will shoot 30 rps out of the box. There is the Tokyo Marui AK-47 Beta High Cycle series, but that may be out of your budget and availability.

Are you sure? Everywhere I've seen this gbbr kit, the reviews were positive. If the gun is gas, I wouldn't mind it being an M4 (as long as the handguard is not railed, I don't like RIS units).

Yes, because random reviews on the internet are always trustworthy.

I meant under 30 RPS, what's a good compact gun that I can run with fairly good accuracy and high RPS?

For compactness in an AK your options are the AKS-74U, Beta Spetsnaz clones, and AK-102/4/5, unless you want to run a full size AK with a folder. "Fairly good accuracy" and "high RPS" is vague and subjective...any gun can have "fairly good accuracy" - the real question is, at what range.

Guest alberty

Would that GHK drop-in kit work in a Lancer Tactical PDW? I've got an old one sitting around, and since I don't have a lot to spend, it would be pretty cool to make a GBB PDW without having to spend $300 for the WE PDW.

Two things to consider:

- The GHK GBB drop-in conversion is intended more for M4 AEGs. Your PDW's internal design would need to be cross-compatible with an M4's internal design for that to possibly work.

- Do you have the plastic-bodied Lancer Tactical PDW? if yes, then putting in a GBB conversion is probably not the best idea, it could possibly be stressing to the body.

Guest alberty

It is the polymer one, but I'm just going to use it temporarily. I know M4 internals fit in it, but I'm worried about the ejection port. How would I get it to fit if M4's and PDW's have different ejection ports?

Hm, does the GHK GBB "gearbox" need the fake bolt piece to operate? If it doesn't, then you could take it off. I would expect that other things may need modification to totally fit into the PDW styling body. That includes the hop-up unit too, which I believe is proprietary to this GBB box.

The PDW plastic is probably ok, but then just remember that you'd be introducing a moving, "kicking" part into the system.

Would that GHK drop-in kit work in a Lancer Tactical PDW? I've got an old one sitting around, and since I don't have a lot to spend, it would be pretty cool to make a GBB PDW without having to spend $300 for the WE PDW.

I have actually down this twice. And it is a Bad idea.

Mainly it is due to the less than stellar GHK drop in gas mechbox. Burst fire is pathetic due to cool down and the magazines are less then abundant on the open market.

you need to put in a spacer to allow the charging handle to :censored2: the mechbox. I found the brass tube from the cylinder head of a V2 to be the perfect length and size to drop into the channel to make it work.

But, honestly...waste of money and time.