to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Hey everybody. I Just ordered my new CYMA cm048m AEG airsoft gun and I have a few questions.

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1272-465-fps-v3-cyma-metal-wood-rs-akm-airsoft-aeg-cyma-cm048m.aspx

First, I have heard very good things about LiPo batteries and how much better they work in an AEG. What are the differences between a LiPo and the stock 8.4v Mini type battery? I have read that a LiPo will not increase FPS, but am I correct in saying that it will increase the rate of fire? Is it worth getting one? Will it damage the gear box? If so does anybody have any recommendations as to which one? I know it has to be a mini type battery so I am not sure what dimensions to look for.

This is actually my second AEG. I wasted 40 bucks on an M4 that is practically junk :mad: , so I had my doubts ordering this new AEG. I have read up on AEG maintenance and discovered how important it is to keep your barrel and gears clean. They say to use 100% silicone spray so as not to ruin the hop up. What are your favorite brands? Can I use the same silicone spray on lubricating my gear box?

Sorry for all the questions at once, but I want to treat my new gun as best I can :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Christopher

Edited by Christopher Spencer

You'll want to get a 7.4v Lipo. They tend to be smaller than NiMH batteries carrying a similar amount of charge. Won't require any upgrades to handle. 11.1 lipos can deliver more current than the trigger mechanism in an AEG is designed to handle and will burn them out quickly, so you generally only use them in guns with a mosfet, which changes how the trigger works from actually controlling the current to just delivering a signal for the mosfet, which controls the current instead.

Also, you don't lubricate your gearbox with oil, you use grease. Oils, generally, wouldn't cling to the gears well enough when spinning. Grease is more viscous. Don't know what type of grease to use, though.

If this battery will fit inside my stock, is this a good choice?

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/2619-vb-power-airsoft-7_4v-2200-mah-15c-lithium-polymer-lipo-mini-battery.aspx

What does the mAh mean? The battery above is a 2200 mAh, but I saw some that were like 1500. Also what does the 15C mean?

I also want to get a smart charger for lipos, once I pick out a good battery.

Any recommendations on the brand/kind of silicone oil?

Interesting about the grease. I will look into that.

Thanks!!

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I was waiting for someone with more electrical experience to answer this, but since nobody's gotten around to helping you out yet...

mAh stands for milliamp hours. Simply put, this measurement determines how long your battery can go between charges.

C is the discharge rating. When I switched to LiPO batteries, I learned that 30-45C is a good range to have, though I'd do some more research to confirm this.

As for the battery itself, pay careful attention to the dimensions of the pack that'll fit into the battery compartment of your gun. General rule of thumb is to buy batteries from RC or hobby stores (like HobbyKing) instead of airsoft places: the selection is a lot better and the cost to quality ratio is generally better too.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Upvote 2

Thank you!

Sorry to still be confused. It seems to me from what you just said, that mAh and the number of Cs contradict each other. Don't I want a high mAh rating for longer battery time length per charge, and don't I want the lowest C number so that the battery will last the longest? Or did you mean it discharges faster every time I pull the trigger? Like it would make the trigger be more sensitive?

I have bought items from hoobyking before so that is perfect.

Thanks for the help!

Christopher

Edited by Christopher Spencer

MAH is a batteries capacity. Essentially how long it goes between charges/how many shots per charge, as stated.

The C rating is the discharge capacity. It's a bit hard to explain, but it's really a useless number without MAH.

When you multiply the MAH by the C rating, you get a useful number and that is AMPs. How many amps your battery can safely provide. Trying to draw more amps than your battery can provide will damage or destroy your battery, and with lipos, may cause physical harm/damage. The average airsoft gun draws less than 20 amps (most guns come with 20 or 25 amp fuses). A few examples

1000mah 20C (1.0x20)=20amps barely sufficient

1000mah 30C (1.0x30)=30amps better

1000mah 50C (1.0x50)=50amps Great

2200mah 30C (2.2x30)=66amps Even better!

3000mah 30C (3.0X30)=90 amps Even better!!!

So hows that is going. The more amps a battery can provide, the better. Your gun will try and pull x amps, based on your setup. Not being able to supply those amps will hamper performance and stress your battery. Being able to provide more than x amps will keep your battery happy and will maximize your guns performance.

So knowing the C rating without the MAH is useless.

The VB-Power battery you linked (7.4v 2200mah 15C) would give you 33amps, which isn't bad for a stock gun. However, there are a lot of better lipos out there, and many are cheaper. Like Cardboard Box said, check out HobbyKing.com.

• Upvote 1

MAH is a batteries capacity. Essentially how long it goes between charges/how many shots per charge, as stated.

The C rating is the discharge capacity. It's a bit hard to explain, but it's really a useless number without MAH.

When you multiply the MAH by the C rating, you get a useful number and that is AMPs. How many amps your battery can safely provide. Trying to draw more amps than your battery can provide will damage or destroy your battery, and with lipos, may cause physical harm/damage. The average airsoft gun draws less than 20 amps (most guns come with 20 or 25 amp fuses). A few examples

1000mah 20C (1.0x20)=20amps barely sufficient

1000mah 30C (1.0x30)=30amps better

1000mah 50C (1.0x50)=50amps Great

2200mah 30C (2.2x30)=66amps Even better!

3000mah 30C (3.0X30)=90 amps Even better!!!

So hows that is going. The more amps a battery can provide, the better. Your gun will try and pull x amps, based on your setup. Not being able to supply those amps will hamper performance and stress your battery. Being able to provide more than x amps will keep your battery happy and will maximize your guns performance.

So knowing the C rating without the MAH is useless.

The VB-Power battery you linked (7.4v 2200mah 15C) would give you 33amps, which isn't bad for a stock gun. However, there are a lot of better lipos out there, and many are cheaper. Like Cardboard Box said, check out HobbyKing.com.

Cool, that explains everything now. Thank you for the answer!!!!

Christopher

Do not clean the barrel with an oil Clean it with a solvent.

This! Dismantle your barrel and hop up assembly when you need to clean your gun. Wash your hop up bucking gently with warm water and dish soap, and swab your barrel with rubbing alcohol. Using a solvent like alcohol rather than a lubricant like silicone oil helps prevent the buildup of dirt and residue within your barrel.

Sites like Airsoft GI generally contradict this and recommend silicone oil, and go on to clean their barrels without disassembling at all. While doing so isn't particularly harmful, you'll get better results by disassembling and cleaning your barrel and bucking separately.