to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Hey.guys its CptCarroll (or should I say Staff Sergeant Carroll...) here and I need some tips. I recently got promoted to staff

sergeant on my team and now have to lead a squad. Problem is, I cant find any leadership tips on the forum. What kid of

discipline should I use? When is it appropriate to do so? When should I promote? What kind of tactics should I use?

Should I assign call signs or let them choose them? I need some experienced leaders to help me out!

P.S. You should know that I have the beginner squad and its my job to train them so they can go into the other two squads.

really depends on how hardcore/realistic you and your team play. You could go all drill sergeant but its important to figure out why everyone is playing. If some are playing for fun they might not enjoy a hardcore strict military setup. If they are all milsim gungho then get to shouting.

Ideally you would need to think about what you squad mission will be, is that the right phrase? (rangers, snipers, support etc) That will help define which tactics you will be using and training. You may want to look for some military trainng manuals if you are going to go all milsim. Generally surplus stores have a book rack.

But it is also important to think about what ypu have experienced coming up in your ranks and use what you have learned. they would not have promoted you if they didnt think you were capable.

• Upvote 1

Great....

Okay, in all seriousness. Lead by Example. If you want someone to take a hill, you better be able to do it yourself. Want people to be able to spot people in the field, you better be able to spot them first.

Make the people want to play with you. Yelling and screaming and imposing discipline is not Something you can FIND a script for to make a team work together like in the military/paramilitary. You can't SCRIPT any situation, it is all dynamic and you have to figure it ut as you go. In your case your learning curve is going to be steep, you will die...a lot. But, learn from each situation, always.

Play together a LOT and learn know each others weakness and compliment each other to over come it.

Back in my paintball hay day, 3 other guys and I have played so much together that we did not need to verbally give and take orders. We just knew what to do given any situation...heck we jumped in a tournament and in the end the other teams had to cheat to beat us.

So...play a lot together and learn from each other.

• Upvote 1

Do alot of planning, just practice. Build a friendship and good chemistry, know what your team mate is going to do in a certain situation and prepare for it. Critique each other. Assign alternate leaders if you can, but be fair, don't just choose your best friends. It's like in any sport, know the game and prepare for the game. Lets use Derek Jeter as an example, he was the captain of the Yankees and why? he lead the team to 5 world series' with his knowledge of the game. Of course that is also due to good coaches but Derek would stay after practice in spring training of his first year of playing professional ball. Being a captain is leading by example.

• Upvote 1

To be a good leader you need to be a good follower. Think about the leaders in your life and how their strategies and styles work or don't work. Being a good leader involves being a good teacher. Some things to think about:

1.) Don't focus on telling a person all the things they are doing wrong. Instead focus on teaching them to do a few things right at a time.

2.) Find out what motivates people and use it. For example at games/events I don't yell at people to MOVE UP and all that kind of stuff when I know they will not be receptive to it. Instead I will move up myself and find some good spots to fake-slay opfor from and tell everyone around me how many kills I am getting. Everyone wants to fake-slay the other team.

3.) Listen to other people and consider their input if it is good. Just because you are the leader does not mean you are the most intelligent and have the clearest picture of what is going on. You should be focusing on coordinating people.

Out of curiosity, what is your age? Since this does not appear to be in the context of the military/some other organization where the stakes are high I would also highly recommend toning it down a notch or ten and just taking it easy and having fun.

• Upvote 1

Find out what everyone's strengths and weaknesses are. If one person's really good at a given skill have them teach other people including yourself. If you have someone particularly bad at something, work with them to improve it.

Be able to delegate. Being a leader does not mean calling all the shots- especially in a game where you're just as likely as anyone else to be on your way to respawn when you're really needed. Identify other people who you can send with a couple guys to maneuver in support of the rest of your section. Also, identify and make known who is next in line after you, after him, etc.

Communicate your instructions clearly. Try to plan a couple steps ahead and made contingency plans. For example, prior to attacking an objective, make sure everyone knows the objective and what you want done immediately after it's taken. Tell them what you want done in case you get hit. Identify a fall back position if the attack fails and a rally point for anyone coming back from respawn to meet at.

Conduct an AAR (After Action Report) after the game. Talk about what went right, what went wrong and make sure to use any failures as learning opportunities.

• Upvote 1

1) make sure your squad has some sort of income, for logistics. selling drugs is the easy route, but if you can get investors, try to start a record label.

2) the other squads are counting on you guys to function as an autonomous research and development corps. don't use any guns which you yourselves did not scratch-build out of nerf products and household items.

3) this is the important part- PT is for sissies. the only pushups you guys need are bible study, and bathing together.

4) second guess other leaders at every opportunity. demonstrate leadership by bending them to your will.

5) anyone with a lower rank than you owes you money, refreshments, and cigarettes.

6) use a BIC pen to discharge your magazines so the springs don't wear out when you store them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Remember too, you don't have to be the best player on the team either. I'm going to use Brian Gionta as an example, he was the captain of the Montreal Canadians and he wasn't even close to being the best player on the team. However, Gionta was smart and he always knew what to do and had great chemistry with his team mates. Don't be like Alexander Ovechkin who is captain of the Washington Capitals and scores over 60 goals a year but has no ability to lead a team.

• Upvote 1

To be a good leader you need to be a good follower. Think about the leaders in your life and how their strategies and styles work or don't work. Being a good leader involves being a good teacher. Some things to think about:

1.) Don't focus on telling a person all the things they are doing wrong. Instead focus on teaching them to do a few things right at a time.

2.) Find out what motivates people and use it. For example at games/events I don't yell at people to MOVE UP and all that kind of stuff when I know they will not be receptive to it. Instead I will move up myself and find some good spots to fake-slay opfor from and tell everyone around me how many kills I am getting. Everyone wants to fake-slay the other team.

3.) Listen to other people and consider their input if it is good. Just because you are the leader does not mean you are the most intelligent and have the clearest picture of what is going on. You should be focusing on coordinating people.

Out of curiosity, what is your age? Since this does not appear to be in the context of the military/some other organization where the stakes are high I would also highly recommend toning it down a notch or ten and just taking it easy and having fun.

Wow, TY. Thats probably the most detailed response I've gotten. BTW, I'm 15. But ive been playing for 6-7 yrs.

Find out what everyone's strengths and weaknesses are. If one person's really good at a given skill have them teach other people including yourself. If you have someone particularly bad at something, work with them to improve it.

Be able to delegate. Being a leader does not mean calling all the shots- especially in a game where you're just as likely as anyone else to be on your way to respawn when you're really needed. Identify other people who you can send with a couple guys to maneuver in support of the rest of your section. Also, identify and make known who is next in line after you, after him, etc.

Communicate your instructions clearly. Try to plan a couple steps ahead and made contingency plans. For example, prior to attacking an objective, make sure everyone knows the objective and what you want done immediately after it's taken. Tell them what you want done in case you get hit. Identify a fall back position if the attack fails and a rally point for anyone coming back from respawn to meet at.

Conduct an AAR (After Action Report) after the game. Talk about what went right, what went wrong and make sure to use any failures as learning opportunities.

Also very helpful, ty

Remember too, you don't have to be the best player on the team either. I'm going to use Brian Gionta as an example, he was the captain of the Montreal Canadians and he wasn't even close to being the best player on the team. However, Gionta was smart and he always knew what to do and had great chemistry with his team mates. Don't be like Alexander Ovechkin who is captain of the Washington Capitals and scores over 60 goals a year but has no ability to lead a team.

I don't follow hockey but I understand what ur getting at, I'll take it to heart.

From what I understand, lead by example and don't be afraid to listen to ur comrades.

1) make sure your squad has some sort of income, for logistics. selling drugs is the easy route, but if you can get investors, try to start a record label.

2) the other squads are counting on you guys to function as an autonomous research and development corps. don't use any guns which you yourselves did not scratch-build out of nerf products and household items.

3) this is the important part- PT is for sissies. the only pushups you guys need are bible study, and bathing together.

4) second guess other leaders at every opportunity. demonstrate leadership by bending them to your will.

5) anyone with a lower rank than you owes you money, refreshments, and cigarettes.

6) use a BIC pen to discharge your magazines so the springs don't wear out when you store them.

ty for the laugh btw