YERDADDY

1911 GBB for my boy.

Hello! My son has a birthday coming up.

Background: he's turning 15, but is a little "special" (developmentally delayed + ADD). He's worn out several cheap spring guns. He is very safe with the "weapons" (he does not want them taken away and he knows they will) and has become a pretty good shot with them. With his Daisy 880 and good pellets he will hit teaspoons hung as targets out to 25 yards around 9 of 10 times.

Picked up a Colt XSE in 45ACP a couple weeks back and of course he wants "one like dad's". So I want to get him a nice gas gun.

So here is what I'm wanting:

1911, single stack, but more Novak style than old GI sights, better for shooting and more "like dad's". Need a workhorse, it will get shot A LOT. Rebuildable/replaceable internals for when he wears stuff out. This is really just for plinking cans in the back yard mostly, BUT he will do it every day and he would be upset with any "down time" (broken guns suck! LOL).

Can I get this, with at least a couple spare mags, around $150? Under $200? He deserves something nice this time, but much more than that we could get a nice 22, but of course we couldn't shoot that every day in the back yard.

ETA, oh yeah forgot to say Green Gas, he would send me to the poor house if I had to buy CO2 cartridges! He took me by surprise when I got him the rifle, he really took to it. The pellets he goes through with that thing, :shock:

Edited by YERDADDY

The KJW 1911 will be worth your time. The externals are made of metal and the internals are fairly solid for the price. There are several models ranging from the classic G.I. style to modern versions with all the tactical adornments. They usually run about $120 with extra mags going for $35.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for the info. Researching all your recommendations. Is the general consensus that the TM will shoot and last better in general? I suppose I'd rather spend a few more bucks now and have a better chance at having a trouble free pistol that will stand up to a lot of use.

Is this what your looking for?

KP-07 - MEU Type

Pretty much, rather have non railed frame though. Looking at this right now http://www.evike.com/products/29854/

Nope...strictly a club supplier with no store front or website in my area and that keeps over head down.

The one you have pictured is a TM MEU. While in all rights a VERY good pistol. It's plastic slide and frame is not as "kid" friendly as a KJW which is a direct clone of the TM sans rail.

Or you could get one by TM. A bit more expensive and plastic construction, but they'll shoot better than the KJW.

Well, the reason I suggested the KJW over a TM is because the metal externals can take the pressure of propane, since the OP mentioned that it will get shot a lot and he doesn't want to deal with a broken gun.

Down to KJW vs. TM. Definitely plan on using propane. All metal KJW would stand up to that better over the long haul? TM makes a couple really god looking 1911's. He caught me looking at a vid of the chrome one he said "I need that!"

Thanks so much for dealing with the newbie questions!

That specific Socom Gear is a WE rebrand. However, there are a handful of Socom Gear 1911s that are rebrands of the KJW... I believe the Les Baer is the most popular. But for that price, you're already into Marui territory anyways.

TM on propane is always a bit of a debate. Depends on the temperature you use it in really, as you can use propane in colder conditions without a problem. But, using propane in something like 95*F may put a bit too much stress. I personally use propane in almost all my TMs, but I'm also prepared at any time to buy a metal slide/frame should the stock ones break, and not everyone is up to do that.

Great ideas everyone. Thanks!

cow, I really don't think he would mind the rail, especially if I got him a light to mount on it. He's infatuated with flashlights as much as guns (I don't know where he gets these obsessions, ....LOL) I was just looking for something most like the real steel Colt. As I look at stuff and show him different things he isn't as stuck on having one "just like dad's" as he was when he first saw it.

Of course I could get a TM and get the metal slide for it too right? Is there anything like that Hornbill but with Novak sights?

http://www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=90&prodId=18882&cateId=0

Edited by YERDADDY

Guarder is going to be the cheapest option that's well made as far as aftermarket is concerned. $120-$150 for slide and frame, lots of MEU type MBKs including electroplated silver if that's interesting to you, and the TRP as well.

The KJW is probably going to be your best shot at that price range if you're considering the metal slide in with the budget for the TM.

Thanks again for all the help. Sort of let this go for a while, been busy. I still haven't even had a chance to shoot my new real Colt yet. :ranting:

What are a couple of the best online vendors to order from with quick shipping (to the US)? His birthday is Feb the 11th. I need to order soon. Many of the places I look online seem to have most of their listings "out of stock". How do retailers in any industry make money with no product in stock to sell?

It's here already! Man I can't wait to shoot it. His birthday is the 11th but I don't think I'll be able to wait that long. :w00t2: I'll have to have my own ASAP. Too bad I just bought a new transmission for my truck last week and the wife's vehicle is in the shop right now for 600 worth of repairs. :mad: 3K+, would buy a bit of good gear.

It's a good thing these weren't around when I was growing up, I'm ruined on guns as it is.

If you get a chance to deal with Guges Mk3 don't hesitate, that guy doesn't mess around. Thanks again everyone.

Well it was nice out this afternoon and it's supposed to be like 65 degrees tomorrow so I couldn't waste this weekend. We gave it to him today. I spent most of the afternoon loading mags. Went through MANY hundreds of BBs.

The KJW runs & runs & runs Settled on loading 12 rounds per mag, tried 15 but it will run out of gas sometimes before the mag empties with that many. Maybe in warmer weather more will work? At 12 rounds per mag it runs 100%, no stoppages at all with 3 different mags. It was a little windy so no real accuracy tests but empty pop cans at 30 feet or so are dead meat every time.

He really loves it. After using the springers and his Daisy that needs pumped 8 or 10 times per shot, he REALLY likes to rip through mags semiauto. When we move up to select fire ARs he'll need to get a job to buy gas and BBs. :prop:

Edited by YERDADDY

65F does seem a bit nippy. Keep mags in your pockets to keep warm. Make sure the piston lid has some oil on it and maybe switch to propane if you haven't already as it runs at a slightly higher pressure (5-15psi) than commercial green gas making it work better in the cold. Cheaper too in most cases. You can also load them to a realistic 7-8. That way it let's the remaining gas warm up again as you're forced to swap mags when out of bbs.

Edited by renegadecow

Well it's warm and sunny out today, but 15 mph winds with gusts. I have a ProChrono to work up reloads for real steel, ran the airsoft over it. Two 10 shot strings of .25 Azimuth average 261/263 fps. Some cheap BlackOps .20s he used for his springers come in at 290-300 fps. I even tried to chill the mags a little before gassing them up, no difference. Might work better if we gave them time to warm up a little after loading, but he doesn't seem too interested in that for some reason.

KJW still running 100%, he's really giving it a torture test these first two days. (We're on the second 16oz can of propane already.) He insisted I show him how to dissasemble it last night to do a thorough cleaning and relube like I do with my guns. He's something else. :a-cheesy:

Edited by YERDADDY