sprotz

Velocity of steel ammo

I can't find anything about this on the internet, so has anyone ever tried shooting 6mm steel bbs (slingshot ammo) with a high powered airsoft gun? If so what kind of fps would it give? I've heard that with an airsoft sniper rifle upgraded to the max, it gan give 800 fps with 0.2g bbs, That would be around 500 fps with 0.43g bbs. I heard somewhere that 0.88g steel ammo would give 250 fps, but I need to hear from someone who has actually tried this.

You can determine the velocity of any weight bb by using the kinetic energy equation.

KE-.5mv^2

Where

KE= Kinetic energy in Joules

m= mass of bb in kg (so .20g would be .00020kg)

v= velocity in meters per second (use a velocity converter to convert between fps and mps)

So if you had a rifle shooting 800fps with .20g that would be .5*.00020*(243)^2=KE

KE = 5.9J

So if you were using a .88g steel bb, it would be sqrt((5.9*2)/.00088)=v

v=115mps or 377fps

This also assumes you have enough air to push the heavier round. The heavier the round, the more air you need as the bb stays in the barrel longer.

I sincerely hope you only intend to target shoot with steel bbs at these power levels though. I know of know field that will allow the use of steel ammo.

This is to determine whether an airsoft sniper rifle could be used for pest control since they don't sell airguns in this third world country, nor do they sell airsoft, but an airsoft can be imported.

I might as well buy an airsoft sniper rifle when I move to another country and experiment with this. I will also see the sort of velocity I get if I slide in a 4.5mm barrel and shoot 4.5mm steel bbs.

Nope...not going to work.

Airsoft guns will cost over 1000.00 to get it to shoot something that hard to "consistently" kill a rodent.

Just get .28g bbs and Full Auto. People have taken care of rodents in the states this way at short range.

You don't pen the rodent...but the repeated blows to the neck and head can kill them.

Edited by Guges Mk3

I don't know, there are no specific laws about airguns or airsoft in this country. Only firearms are specified. They don't even know what airsoft is. So if it is declared as a 'toy gun', the only term they know, they might be cool with it, which is why I mention airsoft can be imported. Paintball however, is available.

I think it's just that the country is so backward that many other things are also not available.

Edited by sprotz

If it's for pest control then you can get a KJW M700 with >.30g.

But before you import anything, consider this. If airguns and airsoft guns aren't available locally, maybe they're not legal to own in the first place?

What kind of pests are we talking about?

Why not just get a airgun or daisy red ryder.

Do you really need to go blast all these animals?

Some of these creatures are absolutely deadly, especially the Black Mamba snake.

To get an air gun requires permission to import. I will be moving to another country soon anyway, but if I ever get back, I will consider the process of getting and bringing in the necessary hardware.