Praefectus

Best overall platform for BOTH CQB and Field play?

Right now I am looking at two AEGs that seem to be able to accomplish both things although I don't know the track record of the new G&P that well, and I heard that the VFC's internals are iffy.

Desire:
1) Ability to play CQB out of the box (approx ~350 FPS)
2) Decent Accuracy and distance out of the box
3) Availability of parts and good support
4) Ability to easily change it for field play (ie inner barrel length adjustment)
5) Not too difficult to change springs or internals if I need to

The ones I were most looking at were the VFC HK416 (should excel at CQB)

http://www.evike.com/products/33414/

G&P Rapid Fire 2 (has the ability to shoot ~350 FPS and 430FPS with the inner barrel silencer attachment

http://www.evike.com/products/49138/

Also possibly the ICS Aeg M4 as it has the Split Top Gear System.

Thoughts (including other recommendations)?

Edited by Praefectus

Guest alberty

Right now I am looking at two AEGs that seem to be able to accomplish both things although I don't know the track record of the new G&P that well, and I heard that the VFC's internals are iffy.

Desire:

1) Ability to play CQB out of the box (approx ~350 FPS)

2) Decent Accuracy and distance out of the box

3) Availability of parts and good support

4) Ability to easily change it for field play (ie inner barrel length adjustment)

5) Not too difficult to change springs or internals if I need to

The ones I were most looking at were the VFC HK416 (should excel at CQB)

http://www.evike.com/products/33414/

G&P Rapid Fire 2 (has the ability to shoot ~350 FPS and 430FPS with the inner barrel silencer attachment

http://www.evike.com/products/49138/

Thoughts (including other recommendations)?

Both are fine. When you say the VFC HK417 "should excel at CQB", what makes you say that? From a technical standpoint, many M4 type AEGs will perform similarly to each other from out of the box.

For quickly changing your inner barrel length, the M4 platform is pretty easy to use. If you have a rear-wired setup, then you can simply slide off the upper receiver, and then drop in another complete hop-up unit + inner barrel assembly or change your inner barrel with your existing hop-up in minutes.

For changing internals, the common M4 V2 platform is fairly easy to do, neither G&P or VFC are particularly harder or easier than each other, and both can take standard M4 V2 AEG parts. They're not "quick change spring" gearboxes but I do not recommend you buy a gun for that one feature alone.

Guest alberty

Just wondering, why do you use black font on a grey background? it's hard to read what you're saying without highlighting the whole thing..

If you change the theme (see "Change Theme" link near the bottom of the page of the forum) you can read the text as the background colors will change. I personally am using the "Desert Camo" theme.

Even with the Krytac you still have to take the buffer tube, motor, disassemble the receiver, and finally remove the gearbox out of the AEG to change the spring. This is unlike the ICS split gear system where you literally can field strip it and take out the piston and springs very easily. The gearbox remains in the Rifle.

It may be time to come up with a pros and cons list and assign each trait a weight for importance in context of what you plan to do with it.

Is spring swapping on the quick more important than your other criteria? My criteria for AEGs is similar to yours and I am fine with the 8-15 minutes max it takes to swap springs the night before a game since I am also checking other parts of the gun like my inner barrel and my other equipment to make sure everything is in working order anyways.

To be sure the other products listed are also fine options.

Forget spring swapping. Start with a 10.5" CQBR. Build the gearbox to take an M130 reliably (sorbo, aoe, radiused corners) and use a full cylinder. For CQB use an 8" inner barrel and for field swap to a 14.5-16" inner barrel with a barrel extension and/or suppressor to cover it. 5 minutes to swap between barrels and gets you 350-430fps with only the added cost of an extra barrel and hop set.

Guest alberty

Krytac. You can swap the spring without taking apart the entire gearbox.

It's a newer brand but I don't think there are any glaring self destruct features on it.

Even with the Krytac you still have to take the buffer tube, motor, disassemble the receiver, and finally remove the gearbox out of the AEG to change the spring. This is unlike the ICS split gear system where you literally can field strip it and take out the piston and springs very easily. The gearbox remains in the Rifle.

I think both of these are valid arguments and lead to distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Models like the Krytac have a "one-piece" gearbox so the quick change spring feature still involves you needing to get the gearbox out of the lower receiver. It's relatively easy but is not an "on-the-fly" change. If anything goes wrong with the gearbox shell itself, I believe the Krytac gearbox shell can be substituted with a non-quick-change shell if necessary.

Models like the ICS with the split gearbox does mean you can slip it out like slipping out a bolt carrier or slipping out a PTW cylinder, but you have to make sure to disassemble and reassemble the upper half correctly, watch out for the sector gear teeth position before closing the whole gun, and avoid damaging any of the proprietary non-standard parts from this special split design.

Try cutting down the stock barrel first. Like I said, I can't give you exact numbers as that's more to do with the gunsmith tweaking it. I would guess a 208mm barrel will bring it closer to 350, but it would be easier at that point to just cut a couple coils off the spring plus that gun likely comes with a ported cylinder optimized for the barrel it comes with. In theory, putting in a full cylinder will bring fps down some as well so you may just need to replace that and nothing else.

A sub 350fps AEG can actually be an effective field gun. I like to do it simple, just build a moderate power AEG with accuracy and range upgrades and tweaks. You can get 200 feet effective range or even more out of a relatively low powered AEG if you know what you're doing.

You can get a sub 350fps gun reach 60m. That's not really too much of a feat on its own. But playing field will mean having to engage farther than that and oftentimes having to punch through brush and go against wind. Even if your bbs might reach the target it would have lost so much energy to be noticeable (unless you compenaste by spamming more bbs) making guns with higher fps to begin with more favorable for field games and also why they have a higher fps ceiling.