Aeren

Futuristic or alternative weapons

Futurisctic or alternate Airsoft guns  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a futuristic airsoft gun?

• Never!!!
    • Only guns I know from comics/games/movies.
    • If it's for a reasonable price, I would consider it, even without a movie reference.
    • Shut up and take my money!
  2. 2. What genre would you like to see?

• Steampunk-ish
    • Cyberpunk-ish
    • Alien-like
    • Any kind of futuristic stuff could be interesting.

Hey guys,

I would like to know what do you think about non-(not-yet-)existant Airsoft guns? Would you buy a futuristic looking gun at all? How about a steampunk themed? Would you buy any good looking functional gun or perhaps some you know from games/movies?

Edited by Aeren

An original design will have to be really well thought off and implemented as it has next to nothing going for it. No historical background, no pop culture significance. So given the amount of effort needed to conjure something like that, one that can be appealing to most may not necessarily be profitable.

People already do steam/cyberpunk guns as a business, but really, you're talking about a niche of a niche market here. Guns like those are custom order because people don't exactly wait in line for them. For what it's worth, there are dozens of sci fi guns that haven't been made into airsoft just yet and it's hard for big companies to get into those due to licensing and not being able to determine the demand for them.

Unless it's a good aliens pulse rifle or han solo's blaster,meh.

Pulse rifle exists, I wouldn't buy it. Blaster is a neat idea, but I don't think it will get done...

An original design will have to be really well thought off and implemented as it has next to nothing going for it. No historical background, no pop culture significance. So given the amount of effort needed to conjure something like that, one that can be appealing to most may not necessarily be profitable.

People already do steam/cyberpunk guns as a business, but really, you're talking about a niche of a niche market here. Guns like those are custom order because people don't exactly wait in line for them. For what it's worth, there are dozens of sci fi guns that haven't been made into airsoft just yet and it's hard for big companies to get into those due to licensing and not being able to determine the demand for them.

You're not the first one I hear this from. It might be just me, but I personally like futuristic style guns without any movie reference. I seriously considered buying the dragon gun as well, the only thing that kept me was the cheap-plasticky feel. I guess our tastes are not the same :)

EDIT: that gun is based on an anime series, I didn't know that.

Edited by Aeren

I think the problem is most of the sci-fi imitation guns are based on existing designs with 'skins' added on -- you can often times spot the real replica used and where the actual gun ends and the 'skin' begins, and it just has an overall bad or 'fake' look. I think it would be cool if they made things like a star wars blaster from scratch, but it would never happen because the cost of the mold would not justify the amount sales. Maybe with large-scale 3D printing or something we will see custom guns made like this 5-10 years from now, but in the meantime, I don't expect we'll ever see much more than the poor quality offerings we have seen to date.

Wouldn't mind the multi-barreled cycling shotgun from Metro Last Light. In fact, it's made from bike parts, couldn't be too hard to make myself. Only issue is field legality.

Metro 2035, one of the best games ever. I actually might read 2036 and also play it. Did you read the books Jack?