Sign in to follow this  
JSmoothBBN

Looking for a good backup SMG

I'm looking to invest in a backup/cqb SMG type of gun. My main is a Krytac SPR, but I want something small for cqb play and as a backup as well. Preferably something small enough to pack in a holster or similar method. Looking at a Tokyo Marui mp5 Kurz or an Echo1 SOB2. Are they worth the price? And are there any better options out there?

Edited by JSmoothBBN

Tokyo Marui is worth it only if you're looking at their High Cycle version. The old version has been done to death by cloners to which you can get a perfectly decent MP5K (Galaxy) for under $100. Don't know about Echo 1 but keep in mind they only really rebrand. You save some by buying the original product they are rebranding.

As for either as backups, I'd say they'd be suitable as such in a trunk or range bag for when your primary goes down. But strapped to a leg and it will only slow you down. MP5Ks aren't exactly small or light. For that you're better off with a secondary, usually a pistol or even a machine pistol if you really need full auto e.g. G18C, M93R, VZ61, Mac-11. If you really want to run around with an MP5K strapped on you the best option is a chest holster, that way the weight is centered and won't affect your movement as much.

Edited by renegadecow
  • Upvote 1

I don't think there's anything better than a VZ61 Skorpion as a backup. It's about twice as large, maybe a sliver more, than a 5.1 handgun. It's full-auto, battery-powered, and it's got a folding stock.

JG Skorpion, AirsoftAtlanta also carries spare batteries, and magazines for it:

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/JG-Scorpion-VZ61-p/88817.htm#ReviewHeader

Tokyo Marui Skorpion:

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/den_search.jsp?sby=3&sstr=vz61&pg=3&rpp=10

As others have said...try running with a 1 square foot "Back-up" secured anywhere but on your back or chest. Have fun looking for it in the bushes...or picking it up all the time.

If you do put it on your torso...you won't have room for your primary magazines.

Notice how no one carries a SMG as a back-up? Make a back-up small...to serve it's role.

Edited by Guges Mk3

As far as pistols go, I'm a fan of 1911s, are KJW or WE brand pistols reliable? They have a lower price tag than a KWA or some other brands, but are KWAs much more reliable? And the smg holster I had in mind would be one that I'd modify and attach to my rig on the lower back portion. But yeah it probably isn't exactly practical anyway, it was just a thought.

Edited by JSmoothBBN

Guest alberty

As far as pistols go, I'm a fan of 1911s, are KJW or WE brand pistols reliable? They have a lower price tag than a KWA or some other brands, but are KWAs much more reliable? And the smg holster I had in mind would be one that I'd modify and attach to my rig on the lower back portion. But yeah it probably isn't exactly practical anyway, it was just a thought.

I don't recommend WE for the single-stack 1911 models. They are not compatible with other brands of mags on the market and they are known to wear down over time very quickly. Guges Mk3 is also right about the softer alloys they use, the magazine catches wear down quickly on WE 1911s. Their paint chips and flakes off really easily too.

No spare parts or upgrade parts

There's quite a bit of them out there actually. Steel gears, pistons, piston heads, steel tappet cam, metal bushings, better hop rubber etc. Not a whole lot but enough to make a pretty solid unit up to 270fps max as it's two teeth shorter in volume compared to AEP SMGs that can do 300fps and with a 2s lipo mod you can get a good 18-25rps out of depending on the battery and still fits in the dust cover.

I personally think backups are unnecessary in an airsoft "game."

In a mil-sim event its a different story because you don't get to reload every 15 minutes and carry 9000 rounds on you in 10 hicaps.

have yourself a reliable primary and a good power source and you will rarely goto your secondary.

I have, in my 10 years of playing, only had to use my secondary exactly once for the reason of my primary failing.

other times it was me opting to go for it for no other reason than that I wanted to get me some gbb action.

as for small aegs, I sometimes carry my shorty AK as a backup when the weather's cold enough to be gbb-unfriendly, and I'm running a heavy loadout.

any other times it's not worth the weight. it's also not worth the money, for the aforementioned reason.

Get yourself a set if you have the extra money to spend. I really enjoy mine, but in all practicality, it is, well, impractical.

Alrigh, thanks for the advice. Really like the g18 frame but the only gbb versions are made by WE and APS, neither of which I'm finding good reviews on. Thanks for the advice tho guys, really appreciate it.

There's always TM or KWA. WE is actually ok provided you don't get one of their lemons where the barrel snaps in two.

have yourself a reliable primary and a good power source and you will rarely goto your secondary.

That's not the only reason why people carry more than one gun. Edited by renegadecow

In my own personal experiences I've found secondaries useful (as in they saved my butt on numerous occasions) for:

-getting back into combat status quicker than reloading my primary

-keeping me armed when my primary runs dry (the most I carry for my rifle is 120 rounds, shotgun good for 14, large revolvers around 50 rounds of loose ammunition)

-making for a smaller profile/target for clearing rooms with the height over bore being very small

-quicker for snap shooting around corners

-arming team mates whose primaries have gone down and don't carry secondaries

Mind, there are other reasons, but I've only ecountered the above which are for high adrenaline, close up work. If you're the type who likes to hang around the back of the line making pot shots at a distance then occasions of needing a secondary occurs far less.