Hey everyone, I own a Baofeng UV-5R after a friend gifted it to me for my birthday saying it should be our new type of communication on the field. After looking over several videos, I was told that I need a license to legally use this radio. Is this true? I'm also only going to be using this for airsoft and maybe for other occasions only. Thanks!

The only frequencies you can legally transmit on without a lisence on that radio are the MURS frequencies. FRS is not allowed on unapproved radios and GMRS requires a lisence. All other frequencies either require a lisence or are prohibited but you are allowed to monitor any of them (just don't transmit)

The only frequencies you can legally transmit on without a lisence on that radio are the MURS frequencies. FRS is not allowed on unapproved radios and GMRS requires a lisence. All other frequencies either require a lisence or are prohibited but you are allowed to monitor any of them (just don't transmit)

Speaking strictly about the legalities, no, the only frequencies you can legally use are amateur frequencies. The UV-5 series of radios has not been type accepted under FCC Part 95, which means that it cannot be legally used for FRS, GMRS, or MURS. To be legal, you would need to get your amateur radio license.

Some versions of the UV-5 are certified under Part 90, which is the commercial bands. You would then need an FCC business license to use those frequencies.